Post your HDR images:

Recent shot out at Zampa Cape

5_zpsbb489f9b.jpg

..and just for all the HDR haters out there, here's my sunburn pink ass ...yes Okinawa is really that freaking blue and beautiful.

Looking into the sun... yikes!

7_zps85091fae.jpg

Peace! 8)

Upvote 0

fotoray

5D Mark III
Jul 20, 2010
7 images shot with 7D + EF-S 17-85 at 24mm, ISO 100, f/16. Shutter speed varied in one-stop steps from -3 to +3 EV

Goal was to get natural-looking result with details in the shadows on the right while keeping brightly lit sandstone shoreline from getting blown out

Attachments

• Gerlach_RayFrauenholz_Final#09b.jpg
    Gerlach_RayFrauenholz_Final#09b.jpg
    238.2 KB · Views: 2,026
Upvote 0

2n10

CR Pro
Aug 25, 2012
Sparks, NV
fotoray said:
7 images shot with 7D + EF-S 17-85 at 24mm, ISO 100, f/16. Shutter speed varied in one-stop steps from -3 to +3 EV

Goal was to get natural-looking result with details in the shadows on the right while keeping brightly lit sandstone shoreline from getting blown out

You succeeded magnificently. What program did you use for the 7 shots?

Upvote 0

Quasimodo

Easily intrigued :)
Feb 5, 2012
Oslo, Norway
www.500px.com
@!ex said:
A new one from last weekend. This one has 18+ stops of DR.

End of the Road by @!ex, on Flickr

This one is great. Great handling of the range, without the oversaturation that I think many of these type of shots normally get. How and where can you see the DR range (since you mention 18+)?

Upvote 0

cayenne

CR Pro
Mar 28, 2012
Quasimodo said:
@!ex said:

This one is great. Great handling of the range, without the oversaturation that I think many of these type of shots normally get. How and where can you see the DR range (since you mention 18+)?

Also..what software did you use to put this together?

cayenne

Upvote 0
Quasimodo said:
@!ex said:

Thanks for the compliments. I guess I shouldn't really say 18 stops of DR because it is actually probably more than that, but I can say 18 stops of EV because i know that I bracketed 7 shots at 3 ev spacing per shot. -9,-6,-3,0,+3,+6,+9, and -9to+9 would 18 stops. As for software, photomatix and photoshop.

Upvote 0

cayenne

CR Pro
Mar 28, 2012
@!ex said:
Quasimodo said:
@!ex said:

Thanks for the compliments. I guess I shouldn't really say 18 stops of DR because it is actually probably more than that, but I can say 18 stops of EV because i know that I bracketed 7 shots at 3 ev spacing per shot. -9,-6,-3,0,+3,+6,+9, and -9to+9 would 18 stops. As for software, photomatix and photoshop.

I'm curious if you wouldn't mind going into a bit more detail.

I was looking mostly before at things like photomatix and other apps...to do HDR...that just basically overlaid the images...and you had some basic controls on how to blend them over the whole image...but not in targeted areas.

I've seen a tutorial on youtube..showing one guy that used photoshop...and he was taking each image of the HDR bracket set...and making each one into layers I think...and that way..was kind of 'painting' them into the main image...for instance I'd say he would have done that to regulate the light coming in from the window...but another image for the interior....with mattes and windows on each area...etc.

Is that how you use photoshop on these.....

Would you mind going into a bit more detail of your workflow on these...they really are amazing and I'd love as a noob to get some info on how you processed these.

One area I was thinking HDR would be GREAT...would be for real estate imaging...for a picture of a room...you could get the room exposure right, and 'fix' overblown lights from the window in a targeted manner...etc.

Thanks in advance,

cayenne

Upvote 0

Quasimodo

Easily intrigued :)
Feb 5, 2012
Oslo, Norway
www.500px.com
MarioMachado said:
http://500px.com/photo/15229325

I'm current on a cruise ship, so my internet is really slow, I tried to upload the picture here but its taking ages, so please have a look in my 500px.

hope you like it :)

Beautiful scene :) The added sunrays are a bit strong?

Upvote 0
cayenne said:
@!ex said:
Quasimodo said:
@!ex said:

I'm curious if you wouldn't mind going into a bit more detail.

I was looking mostly before at things like photomatix and other apps...to do HDR...that just basically overlaid the images...and you had some basic controls on how to blend them over the whole image...but not in targeted areas.

I've seen a tutorial on youtube..showing one guy that used photoshop...and he was taking each image of the HDR bracket set...and making each one into layers I think...and that way..was kind of 'painting' them into the main image...for instance I'd say he would have done that to regulate the light coming in from the window...but another image for the interior....with mattes and windows on each area...etc.

Is that how you use photoshop on these.....

Would you mind going into a bit more detail of your workflow on these...they really are amazing and I'd love as a noob to get some info on how you processed these.

One area I was thinking HDR would be GREAT...would be for real estate imaging...for a picture of a room...you could get the room exposure right, and 'fix' overblown lights from the window in a targeted manner...etc.

Thanks in advance,

cayenne

First off thanks for the compliments. HDR (used right) is a great tool for real estate (I shoot it for my realtor girlfriend all the time). As for my workflow, it really depends on the images, but I definitely use both techniques you describe above. I mask in parts of the original images as well as tonemap and exposure fuse. Each techniques has its pros and cons, and I find that combining all three, along with everything else photoshop can do gives me the best results. I don't really love trey ratcliffs cartoony style, but his basic workflow is a pretty good place to start, as he goes over some of the concepts I mentioned above. I think he even has a free tutorial on his website. Check it out. http://www.stuckincustoms.com/learn-photography/

Here is another shot from last weekend, with all the above concepts applied.

Sunset on a season by @!ex, on Flickr

Upvote 0