Post your Panoramics!

Jul 21, 2010
This processed image resulted from two identical panos of the Boston skyline, taken from across the Charles River on the Cambridge side near MIT, one shot at night and the other the next day.

"A Day on Planet Boston"

Attachments

• CR Night pano.jpg
    CR Night pano.jpg
    109.8 KB · Views: 450
  • CR Day pano.jpg
    CR Day pano.jpg
    105.1 KB · Views: 432
Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
neuroanatomist said:
This processed image resulted from two identical panos of the Boston skyline, taken from across the Charles River on the Cambridge side near MIT, one shot at night and the other the next day.

You're doing actual photography, too :-> !? ... great image, I'll make sure I'll copy this technique on the next possible occasion. I was always wondering what this projection mode is good for :)

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
Marsu42 said:
neuroanatomist said:

You're doing actual photography, too :-> !? ... great image, I'll make sure I'll copy this technique on the next possible occasion. I was always wondering what this projection mode is good for :)

Have fun with it! The shot above was in late fall, I also did the same pano in a winter snowstorm with the river mostly frozen. I'll collect another this summer then do a horizontal blend across the seasons.

Attachments

• CR Winter Pano.jpg
    CR Winter Pano.jpg
    67.4 KB · Views: 429
Upvote 0
Jul 30, 2010
LOALTD said:
I'm no pano master, but I occasionally dabble in some stitching.

This is a crop from a 13-shot (vertical) stitch of Denali and the Alaska range. All shots were at 200mm, f/11. I stitched them with auto-pano giga.

Great place to shoot, stupid easy. Just pull into the parking lot and walk 5 minutes!

Besides high resolution, is there any other reason why 200mm lens is used. You can get the same view with a 21mm lens. Thanks

Upvote 0

Don Haines

Beware of cats with laser eyes!
Jun 4, 2012
Canada
Rocky said:
LOALTD said:

This is a crop from a 13-shot (vertical) stitch of Denali and the Alaska range. All shots were at 200mm, f/11. I stitched them with auto-pano giga.

Great place to shoot, stupid easy. Just pull into the parking lot and walk 5 minutes!

Besides high resolution, is there any other reason why 200mm lens is used. You can get the same view with a 21mm lens. Thanks
You can blow up to print real big...... I have an 80 foot long image running around the top 2 feet of the walls of a room....you need lots of pixels for that....

Besides, you get less distortion and a much sharper image at 200mm than at 21.

Sometimes your panorama exceeds the width of your widest lens.

Upvote 0
Don Haines said:
Rocky said:
LOALTD said:

You can blow up to print real big...... I have an 80 foot long image running around the top 2 feet of the walls of a room....you need lots of pixels for that....

Also with the wide lens, the whole mountain range will be a line in the middle of the photo, you will not get the details that makes it interesting

Upvote 0
Jul 30, 2010
meywd said:
Don Haines said:
Rocky said:
LOALTD said:

Also with the wide lens, the whole mountain range will be a line in the middle of the photo, you will not get the details that makes it interesting
You have over exaggerated the situation. The height of the mountain range is 1/5.6 of the picture width. how can it be a line. also if you look at the picture from the screen, you have more than enough detail with a good lens. I do agree with Don Haines. If we need super large enlargement. Pano is the way to go.

Upvote 0
Rocky said:
Has anyone of you look at your own Pano at the pixel level and find "fault" at the stitching area???

I don't look at the pixel level because usually the pano is too big to care about that, but if i find an issue, I either fix it with a healing brush, or delete the pano :(

that is of course if its not caused by the stitching software.

Upvote 0
Rocky said:
meywd said:
Don Haines said:
Rocky said:
LOALTD said:

You have over exaggerated the situation. The height of the mountain range is 1/5.6 of the picture width. how can it be a line. also if you look at the picture from the screen, you have more than enough detail with a good lens. I do agree with Don Haines. If we need super large enlargement. Pano is the way to go.

you are right in that I exaggerated, because the case I have in mind is the difference between a 14mm and a pano with 70mm, but in his case its near that 21mm vs 200mm, thats a big difference, its 1/5.6 of the picture at 200mm, but at 20mm, there will be lots of sky and land in the picture as well.

edit: check the attached image for example.

Attachments

• focal2_0.jpg
    focal2_0.jpg
    202 KB · Views: 451
Upvote 0

Don Haines

Jun 4, 2012
Canada
Larsskv said:
I have been following CR for quite some time, and this is my first post. I would like to share a panorama with all of you. Taken in Jotunheimen, Norway on 1st of May this winter. Panorama with stitched pictures from the 7DII and 135L.
Nice picture. Welcome to CR.

Upvote 0

Don Haines

Jun 4, 2012
Canada
Rocky said:
meywd said:
Don Haines said:
Rocky said:
LOALTD said:

If you use a wide angle lens, minimum distortion is when the camera is level. Tilt it up or down and you see keys toning (vertical elements leaning in or out). Shooting a panorama with multiple shots at a longer focal length will yield less distortion. Yes, you can correct in Photoshop, but the less correction an image needs, the better.

Upvote 0
neuroanatomist said:
Don Haines said:
I find that's ususlly the case for me. I generally shoot panos in portrait orientation, with a focal length that captures the vertical height I need. The Boston panos above were at 70mm, with 11 shots stitched.

Prey, is there any guideline on how large the frame overlap should be for this portrait-type stitching?

Ttoo much overlap tends to confuse the pano software unless you manually de-ghost, but too little overlap can result in the software failing to merge the pano at all. I'm usually using 1/3rd overlap in portrait mode, even more when movement is involved (i.e. more potential de-ghosting data).

But that's just me randomly trying and I'd like to get some expert input/article outside picking random google search results. My guess is that it should depend on the focal length/distortion of the lens, too.

Upvote 0