Potential Canon EOS R Mark II specifications [CR1]

Actually, I would like to see the new R body be full size like my 5D III/5DS. Besides the comfort and ergonomics for big hands, it would win over a lot of current 5D series users. I also have the M5 and it's a great little camera except for the ergonomics. The other alternative is split the 5D line with a mirrorless EF mount. Call it the 5D-M.

• Love
Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

jd7

CR Pro
Feb 3, 2013
this is how i've felt for years. as a landscape photo guy, i dont need IBIS or any video options, and it sucks to keep paying higher prices for something i dont want or use. we've got dedicated video lines, now all our still cameras are hybrid video/stills cameras. i dont think it's too much to hope for dedicated stills cameras again.

This issue has been debated for years. Some time ago there were a number of threads about it on CR. Here is a link to one of them:

I believe the general consensus was that including video probably reduces the price of a camera body by making it appeal to a wider audience and thus selling more units and allowing for greater economy of scale.

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0
Dec 25, 2017
Get an R and use it! It's a fantastic camera for $1400 and takes excellent photos. Don't be turned away by the camera collectors--they've got their own priorities.
I can only agree. It delivers the same iamge quality as the canon 5D IV which is simply excellent. Colors, Contrast, Sharpness, its just nice. Dynamic range was NEVER an issue for me (and even my Sony a7r IV wasnt any gamechanger for me. Actualy I still prefer my 5D IV because of the better ergonomics and the nicer colors). Its just a good camera at that price point (if you arent interested in video)

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
I agree. Would make me consider to switch back to Canon from my beloved Fuji xpro system. I miss the full frame sensor, no matter what others say ;) But love the Fuji compactness and the fantastic lenses though.
if the lens released by canon for the RF mount in future are as good as the ones released already... I will also swap from EF eventually.

That said, I would really need to see an awesome improvement in AF, noise or lack off, 2 stops of DR extra from my 5DIII. All that by saving around 30 to 40% in size and keeping the specs seen in these rumor.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
BSI by itself really doesn't add that much in terms of DR. the measurable differences are negligible. you'll see more with APS-C sensors, and less with full frame sensors.

what it would do, however, is improve vignetting on fast lenses.
The advantages are of BSI are not dependent on sensor size but pixel size. If your FF sensor has enough MPs the improvement will be just as noticeable.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I hope the big hands folks stay with mirrors
I don’t want a bulky camera
That’s a big plus with mirrorless

I don’t want Sony small but R size or slightly bigger is fine

Actually, I would like to see the new R body be full size like my 5D III/5DS. Besides the comfort and ergonomics for big hands, it would win over a lot of current 5D series users. I also have the M5 and it's a great little camera except for the ergonomics. The other alternative is split the 5D line with a mirrorless EF mount. Call it the 5D-M.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0