Sep 19, 2014
Virginia
Joe.Zawodny.com
Re: Preorder: Canon EOS-1D X Mark II

R1-7D said:
fegari said:
neuroanatomist said:
et31 said:
I do love my D810 for landscapes (ISO <50) at 14.8 DR.

Ahhh, you have indeed been smoking DxO. Sounds like you skipped the soft stuff and went straight to crack-BS in your pipe. That's some bad mojo, man.

When you start capturing the highlights and shadows of scenes with >14-stops of DR, be a good neighbor and let us know, mmmmmkay?

Friends don't let friends smoke DxO then take pictures!

Ahh, the neurodude. Seems you just know way too much and this forum is starting to be small for your greatness. How about another hobby for you or at least stop bashing everyone else and always trying to win every little argument? relax

I personally don't think Neuro has done anything wrong. 99% of the time the people that try to debate with him are dead wrong, and when he's tried to tell them politely in the past they got confrontational and came out with even more ridiculous posts. I think Neuro's sarcastic posts these days spawn out of sheer exasperation.

The fact of the matter is Neuro is the smartest person in the room, and if you're going to come up with grandiose figures on the performance of something he is very knowledgeable about, he's going to chime in. I find it more unfortunate that people take such offence to being educated.

*shrugs*

Oh I agree completely - nothing wrong - and he will deftly call out any BS claims made by others. It is just the ego-building (for him and several others) wordsmithing that dilutes the overall contributions he may make to the forum. You need to wade through a lot of "I am superior" posts to get to the ones that make an actual contribution. The overall effect is to reduce the SNR of this forum. To be honest, I had a huge ego myself a decade or so ago. What I eventually realized was that there was a great cost to maintaining its inflation that devalued its own existence. We need to teach without undo judgement upon those asking the questions.

Upvote 0

R1-7D said:
The fact of the matter is Neuro is the smartest person in the room, and if you're going to come up with grandiose figures on the performance of something he is very knowledgeable about, he's going to chime in. I find it more unfortunate that people take such offence to being educated.

Almost. There are some actual engineers and physicists on the board as well. I have seen him cordially take correction from them.

I think the root of the problem is that he embraces Occam's Razor while eschewing Hanlon's Razor.

Upvote 0

JMZawodny

1Dx2, 7D2 and lots of wonderful glass!
Sep 19, 2014
Virginia
Joe.Zawodny.com

Orangutan said:
R1-7D said:

Almost. There are some actual engineers and physicists on the board as well. I have seen him cordially take correction from them.

I think the root of the problem is that he embraces Occam's Razor while eschewing Hanlon's Razor.

It is certainly not my intent to turn this into a personal attack. Many forum contributors make significant contributions to the benefit of the overall forum. My objective is to point out that some activity serves only to boost egos rather than educate the rest of the forum. I myself have found it useful to type posts/emails, ... only to delete them after the therapeutic value had been realized. The mantra at work is to hire the smartest person you can work with. We have turned away a lot of brilliant candidates because they failed the second part of that criterion. I have read numerous posts, typed up responses, and then used better judgement when I hit the delete button. No matter who (you think) you are, there is always someone smarter (and perhaps more aware of their place in the world). Thinking before you hit Post will undoubtedly improve the SNR of the forum.

Upvote 0

JMZawodny

Sep 19, 2014
Virginia
Joe.Zawodny.com

Jack Douglas said:
Since I never studied psychology probably when I should have I now get to do it on CR! ;) Even a bad example can be a good example. Everyone contributes something but lets refrain from the nasty stuff.

Jack

Jack, you should think about going into politics.

Upvote 0

JMZawodny

Sep 19, 2014
Virginia
Joe.Zawodny.com

ERHP said:
So back to the question, did you or are you going to preorder a 1DX MK II?

I went through B&H and just hoping to have some time to use it before taking a trip to Montana. Until then the 1DX will continue to be my workhorse for wildlife.

I pre-ordered one with the hope that it would arrive before April 22nd. That appears to be wishful thinking, but you can't win if you do not play.

Upvote 0

JMZawodny said:
Orangutan said:
R1-7D said:

It is certainly not my intent to turn this into a personal attack. Many forum contributors make significant contributions to the benefit of the overall forum. My objective is to point out that some activity serves only to boost egos rather than educate the rest of the forum. I myself have found it useful to type posts/emails, ... only to delete them after the therapeutic value had been realized. The mantra at work is to hire the smartest person you can work with. We have turned away a lot of brilliant candidates because they failed the second part of that criterion. I have read numerous posts, typed up responses, and then used better judgement when I hit the delete button. No matter who (you think) you are, there is always someone smarter (and perhaps more aware of their place in the world). Thinking before you hit Post will undoubtedly improve the SNR of the forum.

+1

Upvote 0

JMZawodny said:
Jack Douglas said:
Since I never studied psychology probably when I should have I now get to do it on CR! ;) Even a bad example can be a good example. Everyone contributes something but lets refrain from the nasty stuff.

Jack

What were you saying about insults? :D :p 8)

Upvote 0

JMZawodny

Sep 19, 2014
Virginia
Joe.Zawodny.com

Orangutan said:
JMZawodny said:
Jack Douglas said:

Jack

Honestly I meant no insult. I work with some very political personalities. They look at things a lot differently than I do. Fortunately, they listen to me and digest/spin things in a way to make progress.

Upvote 0
Nov 1, 2012

Orangutan said:
R1-7D said:

Pick me, pick me. I'm physicist who has been working in engineering for 20 years, and they still haven't noticed I don't have engineering degree.

Upvote 0

ERHP

Canon Rumors Premium
May 9, 2013
San Diego
erhp.smugmug.com

JMZawodny said:
ERHP said:
So back to the question, did you or are you going to preorder a 1DX MK II?

I went through B&H and just hoping to have some time to use it before taking a trip to Montana. Until then the 1DX will continue to be my workhorse for wildlife.

I pre-ordered one with the hope that it would arrive before April 22nd. That appears to be wishful thinking, but you can't win if you do not play.

I asked about seeing a demo unit earlier this week and was told not to expect anything until May... Hopefully know more when the Canon rep stops by in two weeks. If mine is overnighted before the end of April I will be much happier myself.

Upvote 0

Jack Douglas

CR for the Humour
Apr 10, 2013
Alberta, Canada

JMZawodny said:
Orangutan said:
JMZawodny said:
Jack Douglas said:

Jack

The best advice for me would be to keep my mouth shut! ;)

Honestly I meant no insult. I work with some very political personalities. They look at things a lot differently than I do. Fortunately, they listen to me and digest/spin things in a way to make progress.

Upvote 0

Jack Douglas

CR for the Humour
Apr 10, 2013
Alberta, Canada

Hmm, my text didn't get in there?? Well, anyway my advice to myself is to keep my mouth shut! I'm not easily insulted. ;)

Expectations were too high for this camera but now that the dust has settled it seems to me that Canon did a lot and it's a very solid upgrade. I get the feeling that they simply can't compete as well as they'd like to in the sensor realm but I'm not disappointed in that area. I'm thrilled with the duel pixel AF for video.

Jack

Upvote 0
Mar 10, 2014

Jack Douglas said:
Hmm, my text didn't get in there?? Well, anyway my advice to myself is to keep my mouth shut! I'm not easily insulted. ;)

Expectations were too high for this camera but now that the dust has settled it seems to me that Canon did a lot and it's a very solid upgrade. I get the feeling that they simply can't compete as well as they'd like to in the sensor realm but I'm not disappointed in that area. I'm thrilled with the duel pixel AF for video.

Jack

I agree. We all had higher expectations in some categories. I am still concerned that there is still enough to justify the $6K price tag. More video, of course, which is inevitable given the pressure from Sony and Panasonic. I just wish that a 1Dxs MII primarily made for enhanced photography could be released on top of the other one (but maybe it's too late for that in the marketing world and tastes have "changed" for good, given that the majority want an overall "all in one" camera). At least Canon is still top of the game (whew! sigh of relief after what Nikon released...even though Nikon does have double native ISO :eek: Doh!). Perhaps a 5D Mk IV will have a good balance between MP, ISO, and speed this time (desperately needs the iTR of the 7D MK II, which is a derivative of the 1Dx). I am still going to hold off ordering until I see the IQ and low light noise performance between the two cameras in upcoming reviews.

No new surprise: Canon's AF system is still the industry standard in technological delivery of speed and accuracy for sports, birding, and anything that needs close to immediate capture! Nikon surprisingly has made efforts to overhaul their AF system, which is good for them and those that need that system for their work. Could you imagine a 5DsR camera with the AF system and shutter speed of the 1Dx or a Nikon D810 with a D5 AF system and 3,720 shots per battery...wow that would be amazing! The engineers (...I mean the corp. marketeers ::)) don't want us to have "too much" in one camera unfortunately! ;)

Here is Nikon's D5 AF teaser below. I really want to see the new iTR tracking on the Canon with the whopping 360,000 RGB metering sensor.
ktkppwyqhtvq5ltqxkat.gif

Upvote 0

msm

Jun 8, 2013

Orangutan said:
R1-7D said:

Really? Can you perhaps point out where that has happened?

All I see him respond with when corrected is straw man arguments, insults and psychiatric diagnoses, and generally refuses to admit he is wrong even if you throw proof right in his face. Have to wonder what kind of person spends probably hours every day of his life reading this forum and writing almost 10 posts a day of garbage like that for years. How about spending all that time and energy on something constructive instead?

Upvote 0
Jun 25, 2012
Canada

msm said:
Orangutan said:
R1-7D said:

Really? Can you perhaps point out where that has happened?

All I see him respond with when corrected is straw man arguments, insults and psychiatric diagnoses, and generally refuses to admit he is wrong even if you throw proof right in his face. Have to wonder what kind of person spends probably hours every day of his life reading this forum and writing almost 10 posts a day of garbage like that for years.How about spending all that time and energy on something constructive instead?

Same goes here; we need to get off this topic.

I am going to pre order the camera when I get back to Canada in March. I'm quite excited for the changes they've made.

I just wish they illuminated the buttons. That's my biggest gripe...so it's nothing really major.

Upvote 0

JMZawodny

Sep 19, 2014
Virginia
Joe.Zawodny.com

et31 said:
Here is Nikon's D5 AF teaser below. I really want to see the new iTR tracking on the Canon with the whopping 360,000 RGB metering sensor.

I am having difficulty interpreting what this little video is telling me. It is difficult to maintain the aim of a camera by watching video on a phone held up to the viewfinder. Nevertheless, I see the camera AF points wandering off to the left of the original target but the camera is not really focusing on anything until it locks onto a flash unit in the foreground at the end. Is this a tease or an epic fail? I wonder what the AF settings were.

Upvote 0
Mar 10, 2014

JMZawodny said:
et31 said:

I am having difficulty interpreting what this little video is telling me. It is difficult to maintain the aim of a camera by watching video on a phone held up to the viewfinder. Nevertheless, I see the camera AF points wandering off to the left of the original target but the camera is not really focusing on anything until it locks onto a flash unit in the foreground at the end. Is this a tease or an epic fail? I wonder what the AF settings were.

I looked around some more. That gif was an extract from this video (still from an external recording device placed up to the viewfinder, but it shows a little more).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Fs-_rj1s5o

But still, only Canon has the magic menu that I know of...Nikon only said AF "fine tuning" available on their website, but has not specified to what capacity. Canon has been doing it since 2011! ;D

Blog-1Dx4.jpg

Upvote 0

neuroanatomist

Canon Rumors Premium
Jul 21, 2010

JMZawodny said:
et31 said:

It shows that the D5 has trouble tracking subjects in very dark conditions. The D5 certainly isn't unique in that regard.

[quote author=DPR]
One thing that was a bit disconcerting was the tendency for the AF system to display a flickering cloud of five or more AF points over a subject. Even when a subject remained completely still, the AF points would constantly flicker and move around.
[/quote]

DPR said that about the 7DII - I wonder how they'll describe the D5. ::)

Upvote 0