Preorder: Canon EOS-1D X Mark III with bonuses and a giveaway

PureClassA

Canon since age 5. The A1
CR Pro
Aug 15, 2014
Mandeville, LA
Shields-Photography.com
I don't understand why some people are bogged down with the 20 Mpx vs 24 Mpx. Does 4 Mpx difference really contribute to any perceivable IQ improvement? Why is it such as deal breaker?
For the majority of the pros who will use it? It isn't

Upvote 0

navastronia

R6 x2 (work) + 5D Classic (fun)
Aug 31, 2018
Who on earth is filling up a 256GB card on a 20mp camera? Maybe if you're doing video, but surely a more reasonable 128GB card is adequate for most uses.

According to DPR, this camera will fill a 256GB card in a little over 10 minutes while recording RAW video at maximum quality.

EDIT: Amorse beat me to it :p

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Nov 12, 2016
No, I beat you to it, as I said that I realize that when recording video, especially raw, you could easily fill this. And I accept that maybe some hardcore sports shooters might also need this capacity. But I would hardly say that dual 256GB cards on a 20mp camera is a bare minimum just to operate the camera as the person that originally posted that insinuated.

Upvote 0

scottkinfw

Wildlife photography is my passion
CR Pro
Hi Guys!
I got an newsletter from the local professional shop. The camera will cost 7360 Euros in Austria. What an incredible price. This is 1050 Euros more than the Mark 2 version at the time of announcement. Wow.

I was until reading the heavily pricing thinking of buying the Mark III. But as an non-professional this is definitively to much. Professional photographers will need all this new features, but for me price vs. performance is not in relation.

Daniela
Not all professional photog will need all of these features.

Upvote 0

navastronia

R6 x2 (work) + 5D Classic (fun)
Aug 31, 2018
No, I beat you to it, as I said that I realize that when recording video, especially raw, you could easily fill this. And I accept that maybe some hardcore sports shooters might also need this capacity. But I would hardly say that dual 256GB cards on a 20mp camera is a bare minimum just to operate the camera as the person that originally posted that insinuated.

Naw, your post was too vague and speculative.

Upvote 0
Sep 1, 2016
The only people complaining about 20mp vs 24 mp are people who were never going to buy one. For me, all my images are going to be maximum full bleed in a magazine or newspaper - for which 20mpx has always been fine. The rest is consumed online. If I wanted to shoot for a billboard, I'd find a larger sensor and go back to 1995 when that might be relevant. As it is, this release is the second exciting Canon release (the first being the M6 mk2). It's nice to see Canon be (by their standards at least) aggressive. I'll be picking up a 1DX3 this summer when it's upgrade time.

Upvote 0
Mar 20, 2015
I don't understand why some people are bogged down with the 20 Mpx vs 24 Mpx. Does 4 Mpx difference really contribute to any perceivable IQ improvement? Why is it such as deal breaker?

That's a bit of a straw man, it's not really about 20 versus 24MP. It's more about Canon's deliberate segmentation of the market. They say in the whitepaper that studio and landscapers should go and use the 50MP beast, press photographers use the 1DX3 and wildlifers... well they've got the ancient 7D2 I suppose.

The 1DX3 has enough internal throughput to do 30MP at 18fps. But they give us 20.1 and tell us to be grateful that they bothered.

The only people complaining about 20mp vs 24 mp are people who were never going to buy one. For me, all my images are going to be maximum full bleed in a magazine or newspaper - for which 20mpx has always been fine.

So you never have an editor crop your photo? You're never focal-length limited and can't fill the frame?

Even at 1200mm I'm sometimes limited and need to crop. So the 1DX3 isn't going to help me, and hence I'll ignore it and stay with the older models. Maybe in 2021 we'll see a mirrorless 1D that actually belongs in the 2020s.

Reactions: 4 users
Upvote 0
Dec 19, 2018
Because wildlife photographers are almost never 'too close' to their subject. If Canon made the Mark III so much faster, then they shouldn't have any problem pushing through 24 or even 28 megapixels and still have 14 FPS with a buffer around 100 shots. Why not bump the resolution just a little to create a buzz on the internet and maybe draw in some new customers instead of relying solely on the existing professional customer that you already know will upgrade. Canon develops products from a safe and conservative engineering perspective and not from a marketing perspective. Does it make business sense to rest on your laurels in a rapidly declining business segment? The professionals will upgrade because they probably already have a very tired Mark II with a really high shutter count and their business can more easily absorb the cost, but the not-quite-professional may see the incremental changes to the Mark III as not worth their hard earned $6500 and may choose to it that money toward a more reliable car. Sometimes you have to wonder if Canon makes its decisions based on the marketplace or based on their own engineering limitations. They always seem to be playing catch up rather than innovating.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

Birdshooter

R3 and R5
Oct 14, 2019
I have a Mark II, and without a bump in megapixels it does not matter to me that the camera shoots 2 frames faster than the Mark II. At 14 fps the images already overlap one another and to get two more frames is not a deal maker for me.

I am sure the Mark III will be a fabulous camera, but.... how long before they bring out a mirrorless camera that is fast enough to use professionally for sports or wildlife?

Dropping nearly 10k in Canada by the time you figure taxes in for Mark III, then having a R camera come out that can shoot just as fast as the Mark III or almost as fast would be a kick in the teeth especially if the rumors of a movable sensor are true and a pro R is introduced.. So, to me.... its more waiting to see what Canon brings to the table in 2020. If there was a proven adapter to go on my 600II to shoot with the Sony A9 I would have left Canon as well.

Upvote 0

Nelu

1-DX Mark III, EOS R5, EOS R
CR Pro
I have a Mark II, and without a bump in megapixels it does not matter to me that the camera shoots 2 frames faster than the Mark II. At 14 fps the images already overlap one another and to get two more frames is not a deal maker for me.

I am sure the Mark III will be a fabulous camera, but.... how long before they bring out a mirrorless camera that is fast enough to use professionally for sports or wildlife?

Dropping nearly 10k in Canada by the time you figure taxes in for Mark III, then having a R camera come out that can shoot just as fast as the Mark III or almost as fast would be a kick in the teeth especially if the rumors of a movable sensor are true and a pro R is introduced.. So, to me.... its more waiting to see what Canon brings to the table in 2020. If there was a proven adapter to go on my 600II to shoot with the Sony A9 I would have left Canon as well.
I'm exactly in the same boat here. I even ordered a Sony A9 from eBay but I quickly checked the YouTube videos about that camera and the Canon 600mm and I cancelled the order; the results were not satisfactory for me so I'll wait for the new mirrorless, just like you...and probably, many others.
Till then, the 1DX, the 5D Mark IV and the EOS-R will do, each for its own purpose.

Upvote 0
The only people complaining about 20mp vs 24 mp are people who were never going to buy one. For me, all my images are going to be maximum full bleed in a magazine or newspaper - for which 20mpx has always been fine. The rest is consumed online. If I wanted to shoot for a billboard, I'd find a larger sensor and go back to 1995 when that might be relevant. As it is, this release is the second exciting Canon release (the first being the M6 mk2). It's nice to see Canon be (by their standards at least) aggressive. I'll be picking up a 1DX3 this summer when it's upgrade time.

I was complaining and I am going to buy one. So there.

Upvote 0

bitcars

5D mark II
Apr 24, 2019
Because wildlife photographers are almost never 'too close' to their subject. If Canon made the Mark III so much faster, then they shouldn't have any problem pushing through 24 or even 28 megapixels and still have 14 FPS with a buffer around 100 shots. Why not bump the resolution just a little to create a buzz on the internet and maybe draw in some new customers instead of relying solely on the existing professional customer that you already know will upgrade. Canon develops products from a safe and conservative engineering perspective and not from a marketing perspective. Does it make business sense to rest on your laurels in a rapidly declining business segment? The professionals will upgrade because they probably already have a very tired Mark II with a really high shutter count and their business can more easily absorb the cost, but the not-quite-professional may see the incremental changes to the Mark III as not worth their hard earned $6500 and may choose to it that money toward a more reliable car. Sometimes you have to wonder if Canon makes its decisions based on the marketplace or based on their own engineering limitations. They always seem to be playing catch up rather than innovating.

Thanks for your answer, I think it makes a lot of sense, but I think to say that Canon isn't innovating isn't exactly fair. Even mark III's huge bump in the onboard processing power, high ISO range, weight save, AF improvement, new AF-on button, 16/20 FPS, and 1000+ buffer are all exciting features. To my eyes I haven't seen capabilities like these in any gear before.

With that said, I think mark III simply isn't the ideal bird/wildlife gear where pixel count is a high priority. At least it is not more so than X mark II, D5, or even A9, which all generally fall into the same pixel count bracket, give or take the extra 4 Mpx. But for it's purpose as a sports shooter, I still think it is heading towards the correct direction.

You mentioned marketing strategy of Canon. It's a good point and I agree that Canon isn't prioritizing its focus in wildlife photographer market with this camera. But for a good reason: the upcoming Olympics in Tokyo.

My personal opinion for bird/wildlife is that APS-C sensor cameras may strike a better balance between useful pixels counts and speed. For Full frame camera to deliver the same results, I think a high pixel body is a great choice if it can bring high enough FPS (8~10+), such as the D850, Sony A7R IV. I hope to see Canon's high megapixel R to match that ability, although I doubt 10 FPS on a 70+ Mpx is technically possible for Canon yet, but I'd love to be proven wrong.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

bitcars

5D mark II
Apr 24, 2019
That's a bit of a straw man, it's not really about 20 versus 24MP. It's more about Canon's deliberate segmentation of the market. They say in the whitepaper that studio and landscapers should go and use the 50MP beast, press photographers use the 1DX3 and wildlifers... well they've got the ancient 7D2 I suppose.

Good point. Perhaps we'd all be happier when Canon has it's next high megapixel R or the R II come out shooting at 10+ FPS, if they can manage that. Right now they really don't have anything to answer the wildlife photographer's needs.

Upvote 0
Nov 12, 2016
I really don't think Canon cares about marketing their flagship $6500 camera to the very specific use case that wildlife photography is. I imagine that the number of people out there making a living doing nothing but wildlife photography is pretty tiny at this point, at least compared to the target market. Similarly, the number of people doing it for a hobby that have $6500 to drop on a new camera is probably similarly insignificant to Canon.

This camera is for professional photojournalists, of which there are many, and the lucky ones even have a backing from a news agency to foot the huge bill for this camera. And they don't need more than 20mp for online and print news photos.

It's also for sports shooters. While they're probably a little further away from the action compared to photojournalists, it's usually not as distant as wildlife photographers, and Canon has a whole stable of super telephotos to sell you that will negate that issue for the distances that are involved in sports shooting.

The camera market is crashing and Canon has to focus its best and most expensive products on the few markets that it can still sell to. If you are just a hobbyist wildlife photographer, the simple truth is that Canon doesn't care that much about you, at least from the standpoint of planning their flagship product.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I'm going to go out on a limb here and predict that the Mark III will drop in price more quickly than the Mark I and II did. I don't expect a huge price drop, but I think it will at least fall to the price of the Mark II at introduction within the next 4-6 months, possibly sooner.
And on the topic of pricing, I notice here in the UK the price of the 1DXii is rising! WEX had it listed at £3,999 yesterday, and tonight it's gone up to £4,999!

A big part of this is the ending of a Christmas season offer (£800 back) but makes you wonder if there is a sense the 1DXiiii may not be quite so popular that the 1DXii needs such a discount? - of course it could just mean there isn't so much stock remaining, so no need to discount?

Upvote 0

Nelu

1-DX Mark III, EOS R5, EOS R
CR Pro
And on the topic of pricing, I notice here in the UK the price of the 1DXii is rising! WEX had it listed at £3,999 yesterday, and tonight it's gone up to £4,999!

A big part of this is the ending of a Christmas season offer (£800 back) but makes you wonder if there is a sense the 1DXiiii may not be quite so popular that the 1DXii needs such a discount? - of course it could just mean there isn't so much stock remaining, so no need to discount?
Same here, this is what I posted on this site maybe a couple of days ago:
https://www.canonrumors.com/forum/i...-x-mark-iii-summary.38019/page-29#post-807772
Anyhow, with the new RF lens on the horizon I won't buy any new dslr, be it the Mark II or the Mark III. I'm starting to gather the cash for the Canon RF 70-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS USM:)

Upvote 0

Russ6357

CR Pro
Dec 17, 2019

The 1DX3 has enough internal throughput to do 30MP at 18fps. But they give us 20.1 and tell us to be grateful that they bothered.

So you never have an editor crop your photo? You're never focal-length limited and can't fill the frame?

Even at 1200mm I'm sometimes limited and need to crop. So the 1DX3 isn't going to help me, and hence I'll ignore it and stay with the older models. Maybe in 2021 we'll see a mirrorless 1D that actually belongs in the 2020s.

^^^ THIS ^^^
When I consider the total group of shooters who spend money on big glass (as in pricey), in the uk at least, it’s dominated by birders, wildlife and then landscape shooters. I’d be surprised if there are more than a hundred sports pros, perhaps the same again fashion show shooters and I’ll guess about that again general journalist photographers. I’m probably over counting. There’s likely thousands of birders alone in the South of England.

just look at the propensity of YouTube videos on wildlife and birding subjects.

Yet here in 2020 I gave to compromise with a 5D V and a 1DX mkIi as a combo when I’d wager many many of use want 30MP 10-12 FPS and war horse build quality

Upvote 0