Preorder: Canon EOS R5, Canon EOS R6 and new lenses

Dont get me wrong. It is a phenomenal release. I don’t care so much about the 8K thermals as I had a feeling it was going to be heat limited in some form. But I didn’t expect such limited performance in 4K as well.

A crazy idea, but I wonder if Canon could have somehow created an R5 body with a heat pipe and an optional battery grip with an integrated fan that can somehow transfer the heat away. Then the video shooter like myself could get extended shooting performance and the stills shooter could get the regular traditional grip all without compromising the weather sealing of the body.

I think it's reasonable to assume 8K will be included in future cameras, and they will work on heat management one way or another. Perhaps the next generation of cinema cameras will do it better.

Upvote 0
Feb 13, 2018
I expected a beefy price in CAD but for me to walk out the door with one they'll ask for $6101 after taxes in Canada! Didnt think i'd be blowing 6k though. Are they making up for their losses of Covid? This is getting rediculously expensive to stay in the 5-line camera family, I've owned all from the very first 5D, and each release the price goes up substantially. The only way you'll get one at a better price is wait a year or so, but since the 5Div being release in 2016 the wait is long overdue so this is a tough decision. Now I have to justify 6k is worth blowing for a camera.

Inflation but 5-line camera retail prices increased less than rent

Upvote 0
I don't think we are over the "Canon DR limitations" doom sayers yet. When people find out its still not up to the Sony A7RII from 2015 that drone will start all over again for sure.
We'll see. Canon's recent sensors have been testing extremely well. Not that reality has anything to do with it.

edit: Even at DXO, who had to admit that their totally fictitious original 1DX III review was flawed and rated the sensor too low. They have now replaced that with a new totally fictitious review that rates it substantially higher. Presumably because anyone with a lick of sense could see their results were off.

Last edited:
  • Wow
Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
Sep 17, 2014
Well, the limitations were bound to come out at some point. The info on that video about record time limitations is quite significant. Naughty Canon getting everyone’s hopes up for a flawless 8K/4K 120p camera.

I think its unreasonable to expect 8K or 4K 120p to have unlimited recording and no heating issues. Who wants to take 30 minute 8K videos. Its great for small clips or even proper movies with multiple shots. Not made for 2 hour interviews.

The 4K30p time limit and overheating is more serious but its essentially reading and converting 8K data so understandable.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

WriteLight

Landscape and Architecture, R5
CR Pro
Mar 15, 2020
Des Moines, IA
My B&H R5 order is now showing as "backordered" in the order status. I was refreshing their site and literally bought it the second it was available for sale. It is now badged on B&H as their "#1 seller"...is it possible they sold out of their pre-order allotment in less than a minute or is this how they are showing all pre-orders?

Upvote 0
My B&H R5 order is now showing as "backordered" in the order status. I was refreshing their site and literally bought it the second it was available for sale. It is now badged on B&H as their "#1 seller"...is it possible they sold out of their pre-order allotment in less than a minute or is this how they are showing all pre-orders?

Your pre-order status will change from in progress to backordered once processed. It will stay as backordered until received and shipped. Completely different from seeing backordered status on the product page and no longer seeing a preorder button.

Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011
Is there a compatible wired remote shutter for the R5 yet? I've been looking around and can't find any information. I assume you may be able to use a phone, but that's not an option for me, since I am in water quite a bit, and don't want to risk my phone dropping (also to have a free hand in case my tripod loses its footing).
It has an N3 port.

Upvote 0
Probably #1 seller on a day to day or weekly basis. Not sold out.

Upvote 0
Feb 14, 2014
I think its unreasonable to expect 8K or 4K 120p to have unlimited recording and no heating issues. Who wants to take 30 minute 8K videos. Its great for small clips or even proper movies with multiple shots. Not made for 2 hour interviews.

The 4K30p time limit and overheating is more serious but its essentially reading and converting 8K data so understandable.
I like your mature and sensible approach to the limitations. Unfortunately some people (prematurely) assumed the R5 would be unlimited recording and were talking about downsampled to 4K videos with the ability to crop/pan/zoom. It’s worth remembering high end hybrid stills/video cameras aren’t substitutes for cine cameras (assuming there’s a budget for such cameras) as they will be limited in one way or another in comparison. It’s not too bad though as long as you don’t need long recording times for, say, live event recording or long interviews. I still think Canon should have been more upfront about the limitations because many people got their hopes up when the specs were first leaked and it was never like we wouldn’t find out eventually.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

WriteLight

Landscape and Architecture, R5
CR Pro
Mar 15, 2020
Des Moines, IA
Your pre-order status will change from in progress to backordered once processed. It will stay as backordered until received and shipped. Completely different from seeing backordered status on the product page and no longer seeing a preorder button.
Thank you!!

Upvote 0