Preorder: Canon EOS R5, Canon EOS R6 and new lenses

brad-man

Semi-Reactive Member
Jun 6, 2012
S Florida
I don't get all the bashing of Sony fanboys. This is a particularly egregious example when it's quite clear that many long-time Canon users are complaining about the overheating problem. The bashing goes both ways. Sony fanboys criticize Canon users to the same extent--then both sides get into petty arguments about which fanboys are worst. I can't put myself in either camp. I've used Canon DSLRs since 2003 but made a move to Nikon when Canon's innovation slowed. I kept my Canon EF lenses--just too good to get rid of--in hope that Canon would eventually get its act together. I then picked up a Sony a7rIII to continue using that wonderful Canon glass--not surprising, but the Sony's 42MPs gave me the best damn images I ever produced with those lenses. I now have an r5 on order because it looks like Canon has gotten its act together. Lol, Canon has so gotten its act together that it has almost certainly surpassed if not obsoleted the lenses I've retained all these years.

Hence, in addition to the r5, I have the 100-500 on order (I will sell my 100-400) and will likely order the 15-35 after seeing actual r5 reviews. I'll continue using my EF 24-70 mainly because the 15-35 should become my primary lens.

The short of it is, the back and forth between Canon and Sony fans is extremely tiresome. Sony made some great products, and was the source of tremendous innovation for most of the past decade. They pushed the envelope tremendously. Now it looks like Canon is prepared to retake that role. But the r5--just like the Sony cameras-- is not flawless (will there ever be a camera that is?). I suspect that I might lose a touch in DR with the r5 (but not enough to be concerned with), and I'm concerned about whether rolling shutter will be problematic. With my Sony, the files are way too large, there's no articulated LCD, and the IBIS could be a lot better. For me, ergonomics and menus have never been a problem. Again, no camera is perfect.

But my self-esteem is not dependent on being able to brag about my system being better than yours.
I look forward to you and others like you to flood the market with 100-400 mkll lenses so you can pick up the 100-500. I still have a great copy of the 100-400 mkl, but the grass is always greener...

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

Billybob

800mm f/11 because a cellphone isn't long enough!
May 22, 2016
I look forward to you and others like you to flood the market with 100-400 mkll lenses so you can pick up the 100-500. I still have a great copy of the 100-400 mkl, but the grass is always greener...
Doing my best since 2009 to keep the photography industry afloat.

The 100-400 mk II is an amazing piece of glass. Incredible IQ in an extremely compact package. My only complaint was the limited reach, which is why I'm considering the 100-500. It could be part of a three-lens travel kit (with the 15-35, and a 50, 60 or 85 prime) with unprecedented wide-to-long telephoto coverage in a compact package.

At least, that's the way I'm rationalizing it. ;)

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0

Besisika

How can you stand out, if you do like evrybdy else
Mar 25, 2014
Montreal
My question is: does the camera shutdown because of a temperature limit that's hit or a firmware setting or both? By both I mean if it hit's a temperature limit does the firmware make sure it doesn't record for 10 minutes meaning your stuck?
Nobody answers your question so let me try my best (some got too much emotionally involved).
The way I see it is that Canon tries to deliver to us a camera that today's technology cannot do yet.
I like their approach and I am very pleased that they did so.
The R6 was designed the old way: "this is what we think you should have, so have it whether you like it or not". The R5 went the opposite direction: "We give you a bunch of options and you choose what you want". People's problem is that they didn't take the time to sit down and choose the right option for them. They simply want to use the latest and greatest option and demand that it works their way, but our technology is not there yet.

To make things clear right from the beginning; the R5 does NOT overheat at 10.2.2, Clog, 29.97fps, 4K, full frame, ALL-I; as per Canon (watch the video again:
). This is the standard of today's camera. I shoot band concert, choir concert, community and church events and 90% of my clips were shot at 4K 29.97fps. I do use 60fps but only for the sake of B-rolls and these are 10-30sec clip max.
My opinion, if someone has to complain, complain about the overheating of 60fps 4K. That would make sense to me.
For a comparison, my current camera, 1DX II, does not overheat at 60fps, but it has a crop of 1.4. The R5 does overheat but it is a full frame. It totally make sense to me that someone wants to take long shots during a wedding at 60fps for the sake of slow motion. But if the wedding really is that important to you, have a backup in the form of Ninja V and cover the entire wedding with it, while recording internally only during crucial moment.
I hope that soon enough, Canon will allow a dual recording of standard 4K 29.97fps, both cards can do it, then why not?

Other than that, all the complains I have heard don't make any sense what so ever in my mind.
You do shoot long takes during interviews but it makes a lot more sense to shoot an important interview with two cameras with both on Ninja V. I tried to shoot with only one 1DXII and a Ninja Assassin, but once in 6 years, the camera shut down in the middle. I restarted but didn't help. I removed the battery and then continued to work again, but I lost 30sec of interview. I won't do that again.
Shooting an interview for the sake of cropping doesn't have any practical sense at all to me, unless you are interviewing for the sake of practice. Please have two cameras so that in case one fails, you still have the other one. Do always dual recording, short take internally, long take on Ninja V. Whatever overheating problems your camera has, the Ninja V resolves it.

In my mind, the 4K 120fps is not for interview nor wedding long take, because it doesn't have a sound.
Long take on 8K costs too much, in terms of CFExpress, hard drive, computer power, and most of all exporting time in Premiere Pro. It doesn't have any possibility of primary/backup with Ninja V and no possibility of dual recording, unless you record 4K on the SD but that defeats your purpose.
If you need to complain, complain about the 4K HQ, but you get 29.95min on that, and you cannot get the same quality on Ninja V anyway (your backup will be on lesser quality).
To me, the 8K, 4K 120fps, 4K HQ, 1.6 crop 4K are all for B-rolls and these are all less than 1min long (with the majority at 10-20sec long).

For the first time in 6 years I am not complaining about Canon, because they gave me exactly what I wanted: "the ability for me to choose" regardless of the technology restrictions. Give it to me and let me decide how to use it.
Trolls always complain about anything and everything, don't be one of those.

By the way, the R6 4K overheats, the R5 doesn't. The R6 oversamples (hence the overheating), the R5 doesn't, unless you choose the option to.

Reactions: 8 users
Upvote 0

Ozarker

Love, joy, and peace to all of good will.
CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
You guys in the USA & Canada, get all the great offers, free CF express cards, jackets, price guarantees, etc. Here in the UK we get to pay more @ £4199 for the R5 but can claim a free EF EOSR adapter, when the canon site works. Makes even less sense when my trade in includes the adapter but they will give me a new one with the new camera. Couldn't make this up.:ROFLMAO:
True, but you live in the wonderful UK and just a short trip across the channel to the continent. I'd take that accessibility over a card or jacket. :)

Upvote 0

Ozarker

CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
I am so glad I learnt my job during film days. We guys know when to roll and when not to. We will be ok.
Anytime I do video it is no more than 2-3 minute clips (maximum) at a time. Then clips are assembled into the "movie" I want anyway. If I could afford a camera like the R5 I wouldn't complain at all. :) It sometimes takes me a couple of days to get 20 mins. of edited footage.

Upvote 0

Starting out EOS R

EOS R5 - RF24-105mm F4L, RF70-200mm f2.8L
Feb 13, 2020
True, but you live in the wonderful UK and just a short trip across the channel to the continent. I'd take that accessibility over a card or jacket. :)
HaHa, like all places, the UK has it's good points, not least of which is the rich history, beautiful scenery, location and access to Europe but also the not so good bits, weather that can be all four seasons in a couple of hours and then change again the next day plus a media that loves to build people up and take great pleasure in dragging them down and a culture that ties itself in knots focusing on the bad bits.

If we were an individual and in the States, we'd be in therapy lol.

• Haha
Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

zim

CR Pro
Oct 18, 2011
I don't get all the bashing of Sony fanboys. This is a particularly egregious example when it's quite clear that many long-time Canon users are complaining about the overheating problem. The bashing goes both ways. Sony fanboys criticize Canon users to the same extent--then both sides get into petty arguments about which fanboys are worst. I can't put myself in either camp. I've used Canon DSLRs since 2003 but made a move to Nikon when Canon's innovation slowed. I kept my Canon EF lenses--just too good to get rid of--in hope that Canon would eventually get its act together. I then picked up a Sony a7rIII to continue using that wonderful Canon glass--not surprising, but the Sony's 42MPs gave me the best damn images I ever produced with those lenses. I now have an r5 on order because it looks like Canon has gotten its act together. Lol, Canon has so gotten its act together that it has almost certainly surpassed if not obsoleted the lenses I've retained all these years.

Hence, in addition to the r5, I have the 100-500 on order (I will sell my 100-400) and will likely order the 15-35 after seeing actual r5 reviews. I'll continue using my EF 24-70 mainly because the 15-35 should become my primary lens.

The short of it is, the back and forth between Canon and Sony fans is extremely tiresome. Sony made some great products, and was the source of tremendous innovation for most of the past decade. They pushed the envelope tremendously. Now it looks like Canon is prepared to retake that role. But the r5--just like the Sony cameras-- is not flawless (will there ever be a camera that is?). I suspect that I might lose a touch in DR with the r5 (but not enough to be concerned with), and I'm concerned about whether rolling shutter will be problematic. With my Sony, the files are way too large, there's no fully articulated LCD, and the IBIS could be a lot better. For me, ergonomics and menus have never been a problem. Again, no camera is perfect.

But my self-esteem is not dependent on being able to brag about my system being better than yours.
In fairness they started it.... :giggle:

• Haha
Upvote 0
Mar 20, 2015
For the first time in 6 years I am not complaining about Canon, because they gave me exactly what I wanted: "the ability for me to choose" regardless of the technology restrictions. Give it to me and let me decide how to use it.

But as you said , it's not really a choice. Feature-packed super-expenaive model or deliberately downgraded mid-tier model

Why no R6+ with the 5D4 sensor? Or why not charge $1000 less for the R5 and have the video modes as an add-on software option? Those things would be choices, not Canon's usual market segmentation approach. Buy what you're given, plebs!

• Sad
  • Haha
Upvote 0

davidhfe

CR Pro
Sep 9, 2015
It's great to read the various comments and discussions about the R5 with two camps seeming to appear, the stills camp that doesn't want to pay for the 8k video specs and the video camp that complains about the upfront announced overheating when recording longer clips in 8k and 4k 120fps

I was just thinking the same thing. Over on EOS HD folks are like “It should have a fan!” and “should have been over sampled 6k!” And here people are kvetching that the overheating is “Proof canon spent too much time engineering features for video!”

I really wish canon was able to release a 5Dc with active cooling, dual CFe, full size HDMI and additional codecs (eg license ProRes) for an extra $500 or something. Then we could all sit back, relax, and do what really matters... speculate about if it can lift an 8 stop underexposed capture.

• Haha
Upvote 0

davidhfe

CR Pro
Sep 9, 2015
But as you said , it's not really a choice. Feature-packed super-expenaive model or deliberately downgraded mid-tier model

Why no R6+ with the 5D4 sensor? Or why not charge $1000 less for the R5 and have the video modes as an add-on software option? Those things would be choices, not Canon's usual market segmentation approach. Buy what you're given, plebs!

Once again with feeling: The video features are not driving the cost of the R5. The video features are a way to broaden the reach of a very expensive stills camera. The 5D4 sensor cannot read fast enough to support the AF of these cameras. There isn’t the R&D budget in a shrinking market to develop 5 new sensors all at once.

(I will grant that Canon could have been a little more aggressive with the R6, perhaps offering 4K raw)

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

Ozarker

CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
HaHa, like all places, the UK has it's good points, not least of which is the rich history, beautiful scenery, location and access to Europe but also the not so good bits, weather that can be all four seasons in a couple of hours and then change again the next day plus a media that loves to build people up and take great pleasure in dragging them down and a culture that ties itself in knots focusing on the bad bits.

If we were an individual and in the States, we'd be in therapy lol.
My daughter was in London for a Microsoft gathering last year. She took the Chunnel (sp?) to Paris for a few days and was overwhelmed by the size of the Louvre. She had a wonderful time for 2 weeks in the UK and France. Microsoft paid all of it for her. She said, "Daddy, if you ever go to London, don't drive!" haha Me? I like to watch and listen to people, so a local pub in a small village that serves famous English fish and chips every meal would suit me fine. I'd promise to keep my mouth shut and be friendly (No flag waving. Bad form)... just keep the deep fried cod coming. ;) Of course, I'd be very tempted to find a place that serves some fine Scottish Haggis too.

Our shared "...culture that ties itself in knots focusing on the bad bits." I've quit watching the news altogether. Hoping I have 20+ years left to live and don't want to waste a minute listening bad news. :)

Upvote 0
Well I can happily say I’ve never looked forward to or been excited quite so much by the release of the R5 since the Canon T90.

I say bring on the good, the bad and (hopefully not) the ugly. I’m fully ready to accept all the R5’s defects, failings, faults, glitches and foibles as I know ultimately it will be a legendary camera.

Reactions: 4 users
Upvote 0

Nelu

1-DX Mark III, EOS R5, EOS R
CR Pro
^This was my original point, though I was more long-winded in making it. Bottom line from my point of view is that while the heating issue *may* be a problem for some from time to time, I can't see it as an issue for the majority of people. And if some people are experiencing it on a consistent basis then maybe they made the wrong purchase and should have bought a cinema camera instead.
We’ll, you could probably strap your IKEA mattress on top of a Ferrari once every few years but if you have to do it every day you’d better buy yourself a truck

• Haha
Reactions: 4 users
Upvote 0
Sep 1, 2016
I must have read all the camera sales figures all wrong for the last 5 - 7 years then?

If that false equivalence is where you came out then yes, yes you have.

Phones have eaten compact camera sales. That wasn't the initial point. The initial point was that getting into digital photography at the high end was prohibitively expensive, especially when factoring in lenses and memory cards. So an entirely different proposition, and per my point, one that hasn't really changed in the last 20 years. If you'd like to try abstracting a different sentence to try and save face, have at it...

Upvote 0

Starting out EOS R

Feb 13, 2020
My daughter was in London for a Microsoft gathering last year. She took the Chunnel (sp?) to Paris for a few days and was overwhelmed by the size of the Louvre. She had a wonderful time for 2 weeks in the UK and France. Microsoft paid all of it for her. She said, "Daddy, if you ever go to London, don't drive!" haha Me? I like to watch and listen to people, so a local pub in a small village that serves famous English fish and chips every meal would suit me fine. I'd promise to keep my mouth shut and be friendly (No flag waving. Bad form)... just keep the deep fried cod coming. ;) Of course, I'd be very tempted to find a place that serves some fine Scottish Haggis too.

Our shared "...culture that ties itself in knots focusing on the bad bits." I've quit watching the news altogether. Hoping I have 20+ years left to live and don't want to waste a minute listening bad news. :)
Fish and chips, oh yes but has to be from a chip shop next to the sea. There is nothing like it. I would never drive in London. Always use the train lol.
I'm not surprised your daughter enjoyed it as someone else was paying for it. :D That's the best way to enjoy London and Paris, they are very expensive places to visit.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Hey mate, not sure if anyone has answered this for you (couldn't be bothered scrolling through haha). Basically All-I and IPB are two different ways of compressing the frames in the video file. Putting it very simply, All-i will be a higher quality file with more data and less compression. I always shoot All-i for anything that needs to be quality, unless I'm filming something long-form where I'm mindful of memory capacity such as wedding speeches, then I'll briefly swap over to IPB.

Thank you for taking the time to respond. I appreciate it. Like I said, I’m coming from a T3i that I picked up in 2013, so I’m sure anything at this point will be an upgrade. I’m not capturing fast motion since I have my camera on a tripod in the woodshop, so I don’t think it’ll make a tremendous difference for my application. I’m just excited for a new camera.

Upvote 0

Starting out EOS R

Feb 13, 2020
I was just thinking the same thing. Over on EOS HD folks are like “It should have a fan!” and “should have been over sampled 6k!” And here people are kvetching that the overheating is “Proof canon spent too much time engineering features for video!”

I really wish canon was able to release a 5Dc with active cooling, dual CFe, full size HDMI and additional codecs (eg license ProRes) for an extra $500 or something. Then we could all sit back, relax, and do what really matters... speculate about if it can lift an 8 stop underexposed capture.
Haha, good luck with that one. I'm afraid there will always be some sort of compromise. For me as an enthusiast and non pro, it's probably over the top but does everything I want and to some extent, is future proof for a few years.

I do feel for the vloggers, you tubers and the film camp as the headline specs looked fantastic and would almost give them an amazing pro filming solution in a mirrorless body at a price much cheaper than a cinema camera. But, as Mr Mckinnon said, he can live with it so if someone wants to record in 8k Raw for more than 20 mins, I'm afraid they will be disappointed but realistically cant be that surprised based on the price of existing 8k cameras out there.

Upvote 0