Preorder: Canon EOS R5, Canon EOS R6 and new lenses

Aug 27, 2019
I think preorder is not doing well in Australia. Some local retailers are offering AUD$6500.

I will wait for the price drops below AUD$6000 for the R5.

I was also planning to get the RF extender and replace my EF100-400 II with the RF100-500. I have decided to keep the 100-400 as the RF100-500 is ridiculously expensive. I also won't get the RF extender.
Opposite of what I am seeing here in Canada. I was shocked to find out I was 16th on the list at my local shop this morning. Pre-orders require at least 25% down and are not refundable so that is $1350 down at min. In Canada Canon is also running a price guarantee for the remainder of 2020 for all those that Pre-order before July 29th. So I do not expect to see any reduction in price in the great white north this year. Oh and we also get an R5 jacket for Pre-ordering.

Upvote 0
Aug 27, 2019
Same here, I've been making some random money from photography but I can't even think of going photography full time. Otherwise I'd be barely covering the photo gear expenses, and what about the family? :)

But we're talking about the high end photo gear here. I've never been into fishing, but spoken to a guy who spends thousands on the fancy high end fishing gear. If you include a boat, the expenses on the fishing hobby may go to infinity.
The boat is the killer. Boat = Break Out Another Thousand.:)

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

Ozarker

Love, joy, and peace to all of good will.
CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
Nothing new for EU prices?
If it really is priced 4700€ it's cheaper to travel to Colorado and get one there (ofc I know warrancy etc. but would be fun).
In Oregon USA there would be no sales tax. Beautiful sights there too.

• Love
Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

CvH

CR Pro
Nov 19, 2014
In Canada Canon is also running a price guarantee for the remainder of 2020 for all those that Pre-order before July 29th. So I do not expect to see any reduction in price in the great white north this year. Oh and we also get an R5 jacket for Pre-ordering.

I don’t think they will need to have a price guarantee if the preorder is favourable. Why would they both to offer a free R5 jacket if they have high demand?

Upvote 0
Aug 27, 2019
I don’t think they will need to have a price guarantee if the preorder is favourable. Why would they both to offer a free R5 jacket if they have high demand?

My guess is Canon Canada is offering the price guarantee through 2020 for Pre-ordering and the free Jacket to drive Q2 sales which ends July 31st. Lots of pre-orders also helps with unit allocation.

Upvote 0
What if I want the option of zooming in on my interviewee's nose hairs in post? :giggle:

I am beginning to think that I will need a new computer as an add on accessory to my R5 to process the huge files!
The prospect of having to buy a new computer is what is holding me back from the R5!

Upvote 0
Aug 27, 2019
Yeah, I see a 2TB as well, but I don't trust anything but SanDisk. I don't see anything over 512 from them at B&H.
I was big SanDisk guy but had good success with the Lexar 2000x cards in my EOS R.

I added a Sony "Tough" card recently but that was just shipped back to Sony due to the recall so I am going to avoid those cards as an option for now.

I am looking at the ProGrade CFexpress cards as well as SanDisk.

Need to do a lot more research before I drop the cash on 2 cards.

Upvote 0

CvH

CR Pro
Nov 19, 2014
My guess is Canon Canada is offering the price guarantee through 2020 for Pre-ordering and the free Jacket to drive Q2 sales which ends July 31st. Lots of pre-orders also helps with unit allocation.

That is my point. If the preorders are really high and meet unit allocation then surely they don’t need to offer incentives to drive sales.

Upvote 0

CvH

CR Pro
Nov 19, 2014
I would assume that the incentives were offered and agreed upon well before the post-launch pre-orders started coming in.

It could possibly be the case. However, I wonder why they are doing so? If both R5 & R6 are that good (I believe they are) and the RRP in Canada is in line with expectations then people would jump on the preorder like in USA without needing any incentives.

Upvote 0

Starting out EOS R

EOS R5 - RF24-105mm F4L, RF70-200mm f2.8L
Feb 13, 2020
That is my point. If the preorders are really high and meet unit allocation then surely they don’t need to offer incentives to drive sales.
You guys in the USA & Canada, get all the great offers, free CF express cards, jackets, price guarantees, etc. Here in the UK we get to pay more @ £4199 for the R5 but can claim a free EF EOSR adapter, when the canon site works. Makes even less sense when my trade in includes the adapter but they will give me a new one with the new camera. Couldn't make this up.:ROFLMAO:

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

Starting out EOS R

Feb 13, 2020
It's great to read the various comments and discussions about the R5 with two camps seeming to appear, the stills camp that doesn't want to pay for the 8k video specs and the video camp that complains about the upfront announced overheating when recording longer clips in 8k and 4k 120fps. Lets be honest, Canon were pretty honest about this with the guest reviews.

I must be unusual as I'm 70% Landscape, 20% action and 10% video, so for me, the R5 is a little more expensive than I wanted to pay but the increased features over the R makes it all worthwhile. I must admit, I'll probably never shoot in 8k for a long while until it is more common but 4k @ 24fps without crop sounds great to me for the odd time I need to shoot video and it will never be more than a few minutes.

I must admit from all the reviews provided by the pre production testers, Overheating only seems to be an issue after about 20 minutes, which probably is a decent length of time for most people not doing professional video that want fantastic stills capability as well. Surely if you're doing video longer than 20 minutes, a more film based solution would be better?? I know there is a concern that if multiple clips are done quickly one after the other this could cause overheating but again, if your into that kind of filming, maybe the R5 isn't the right solution.

I don't think any manufacturer will ever provide a true solution that satisfies all camps. But what do I know lol.

The bit that hurt is not just the starting price of £4199 but the add ons of two CF express cards, a spare battery and a reader. OUCH!!

Hopefully that's me set for a few years and no birthday or Christmas presents in the next couple of years. Exciting times.

Reactions: 5 users
Upvote 0
I was sure there would have been some sort of incentive here in the UK for early pre-ordering but no such look. :(

Didn’t the EOS R get a free grip?

A discounted CFexpress card would have been a nice gesture but I suppose they think demand will be through the roof for the R5/R6 even during these choppy economic conditions so they’ve not bothered.

Upvote 0
Sep 1, 2016
I’m very lucky to make money from photography and video but from a hobbyists perspective the barriers to entry into photography are extremely high. The cost of cameras, lenses, memory cards, tripods, filters, bags and flashguns is getting higher and higher and the Canon R/RF system is living proof as £4K for a camera body in totally crazy. When I compare now to when I started photography as a hobby in the early 80’s and getting set up as a young boy was relatively affordable. An R6 is not the sort of thing most 10 year olds parents would dream of getting their son/daughter for Christmas.

Technology, miniaturisation and R&D costs a lots of money and today’s cameras are a far cry from my simple Olympus OM10 with its button cell battery and manual film wind but it’s no wonder the camera market is shrinking at such a rapid rate when you consider we get a great stills (and video) camera for FREE with our mobile phones.

I see the "bargaining" phase of the shock has set in.

Newsflash: this has never been an issue. Not with the 5D 2, which was a similar price, given inflation / cost of living changes, not with any luxury purchase, really. People buy cars they don't need all the time, which are a magnitude higher. Complaining that costs are too high? If that's the best problem we have today, how lucky we all are...

Upvote 0

Starting out EOS R

Feb 13, 2020
I was sure there would have been some sort of incentive here in the UK for early pre-ordering but no such look. :(

Didn’t the EOS R get a free grip?

A discounted CFexpress card would have been a nice gesture but I suppose they think demand will be through the roof for the R5/R6 even during these choppy economic conditions so they’ve not bothered.
There were no offers for the R when I purchased mine in march last year and at the time, the grip was not readily available and where it was in stock, the price was ridiculous.

Canon obviously either thinks the UK is cash rich or isn't bothered about making any interesting offers here. That's my cynical head lol.

I agree, I did wonder if they would do the same offer they did in the UK when the 1DX MKIII came out, a SanDisk CFexpress card and reader included but no such luck, just the free EF to EOSR adapter claim. Interestingly the R had one of these included so not much of an offer really,

Upvote 0