Preorder: Canon EOS R5, Canon EOS R6 and new lenses

Is IPB on the R6 a big deal? I’m on a T3i (I know, sorry). I’m a woodworker, so I focus primarily on stills for my online store and social media, but I’ve recently started making some income on YouTube since I started posting videos of my builds. I don’t know much about All-I compared to IPB, or if it’s even worth thinking about. I would like that “cinematic” look, and wonder about color grading IPB, etc. Thanks for any advice or information. I got up at 4:50am to watch the release. Woo.

Upvote 0
So, what is that major new feature of the R5 that was rumored a few dsys ago? Guess was it could be high-res mode with sensor shift. But that is not the case.
Was just a rumor it seems.
Anyway, an amazing camera!
It might have been some of the new DPRaw features. On the 5DIV DPRaw was introduced which allowed you to shift focus/bokeh just a little bit by using the readout from both sides of each pixel. It was not really well received by the masses, and seemed fairly impractical in use (IMO). The R5 seems to bring that back with a new ability to move the lighting on a subject's face after the photo has been taken, and right on the camera. My bet this was the surprise, but considering how little attention it has gotten, it may also suffer from the practicality issues of other DPRaw tools. Gordon Laing had a good description and demonstration of the feature -

Either that, or Auto focus at F22, enabling using those TCs on even the F11 super-telephoto lenses. The more I think about that the more I find it interesting, even though again the practicality or output from that may be questionable. We'll have to wait and see!

Or then again, Canon is claiming an extra stop of DR over the 5DIV which, again, I'd be curious to see the output from.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
Jul 19, 2011
Canceled my preorder.
The camera is great, but everything it excels at is currently canceled anyway.
No big sports events, no shows, no corporate events with hundreds of guests,
no big weddings. Second wave of Corona is coming in Central Europe, while
the first wave isn't even peaking in the US. Not a good time to buy a camera for
jobs that are suspended at the moment anyway.

Also, the R5 is too high in price for my liking. 3500 EUR would have been my
prediction and expectation.

So I skip this round, and probably go for a Blackmagic URSA 4k with EF mount
in the interim time.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
Was debating between the R6 and R5. R5 seems to be an amazing camera for a photographer who might take a quick clip here and there, but the overheating warnings in the manual are concerning on the video side. I assume the R6 likely won't have the issue since it doesn't have to do as much downsampling. It'll be interesting to see real world tests.

Upvote 0
Sorry, but we’re past talking about price and are now in the when will it be here phase.

And don’t look for Canon or anyone else to build a model for every niche.
Actually price is a very important consideration for most of us. Why is the camera so much more expensive in Europe than it is in the USA? Doesn't that seem unfair to you? The difference is far to great to be explained by VAT. The price for the body only in USA is $3,899 and the price for the body only in the UK is £4,199. At today's exchange rate the US price of $3,899 should be around £3,091. Add on the 20% VAT and the total price should be around £3,709, so why is it nearly £500 more than that? It is a huge difference.

Upvote 0

Joules

doom
CR Pro
Jul 16, 2017
Hamburg, Germany
Actually price is a very important consideration for most of us. Why is the camera so much more expensive in Europe than it is in the USA? Doesn't that seem unfair to you? The difference is far to great to be explained by VAT. The price for the body only in USA is $3,899 and the price for the body only in the UK is £4,199. At today's exchange rate the US price of $3,899 should be around £3,091. Add on the 20% VAT and the total price should be around £3,709, so why is it nearly £500 more than that? It is a huge difference.
Can we just let that go finally? It has been discussed to death. It is a different market, different customers, different regulations and so on. In the EU, customers are protected by stronger regulations, which is one of many things that go into pricing.

Upvote 0
Nov 1, 2012
A few days ago there was a rumor or statement from Canon that there was at least one more big surprise on the photography side of the R5. Everything I heard this morning was everything I have heard through the rumor mill. Did I miss something?

The surprise was that there was no surprises.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Apr 25, 2011
A few days ago there was a rumor or statement from Canon that there was at least one more big surprise on the photography side of the R5. Everything I heard this morning was everything I have heard through the rumor mill. Did I miss something?
Have you heard about 8 stops of IBIS with a (non-IS) RF85/1.2?

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

Starting out EOS R

EOS R5 - RF24-105mm F4L, RF70-200mm f2.8L
Feb 13, 2020
First of all: FIRST!!! :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

Any update on EU pricing? We all know it can get pretty weird with EU pricing even if there is around 20% VAT included, wonder how it will play out.

Canon EOS R6 Body $2499 sounds great but in EU pricing maybe €2800?Maybe a bit less?
£4199 for R5

Upvote 0