Preorder: Canon EOS R5, Canon EOS R6 and new lenses

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
How does this discount work as the only place I could see it advertised was at Wex and their RF lens prices are higher than average to begin with.
Just sign in to CPS and register (other UK dealers have the same link). WEX is a very reliable company to deal with.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

Starting out EOS R

EOS R5 - RF24-105mm F4L, RF70-200mm f2.8L
Feb 13, 2020
How does this discount work as the only place I could see it advertised was at Wex and their RF lens prices are higher than average to begin with.
Hi, this is a Canon offer so not specific to any retailer. Most of the retailers have links built into their sites and product pages. I saw this at Clifton Cameras and then questioned the detail direct with Canon, who provided me with this link.

I think you should be able to use this to register any lenses or bodies you purchase that qualify. at the moment, the R5 & R6 are not listed but hopefully they will be soon.

I always look at various retailers including Wex when buying as it's swings and roundabouts with prices, sometimes they are more expensive, sometimes cheaper. But they do sometimes price match if there is a mainstream retailer offering the same product. They did this for me with a Peak design everyday backpack.

Good luck.

Upvote 0

Starting out EOS R

Feb 13, 2020
Just sign in to CPS and register (other UK dealers have the same link). WEX is a very reliable company to deal with.
I'd love to know what you did and if you are an existing CPS member as when I used the link to claim the free adapter, as I am an existing CPS member, there were no offers. I've raised this with the retailer and Canon as even though I don't have any EF lenses having been totally on RF glass since buying the R, it's always good to have it for any re sale value

Upvote 0
It will depend if it is oversampled I guess. Oversampled it will record for 30 mins and shut down for 10mins which will allow another 10mins. If it is binned or cropped, probably will not. But if that is the case, I’m spendIng almost $6k+ after taxes up here in Canada with the marquee features being essentially heat limited.

Panasonic knows this and the S1H runs all day long and is Netflix certified. I get the sense Sony (at least based on recent rumors) knows this as well since it was somehow important enough to leak ahead of anything else, aside from the EVF resolution.

My point is the R5 really needed a cooling solution. But you can’t really do that and retain 5D weather sealing. Everything has compromises and Canon simply decided to go this way.

I get Canon needed to make a statement, but that’s such a “Sony” move by putting it on the spec sheet and padding it with fine print.

I was seriously considering this body this week. I’m a bit disappointed that it doesn’t fit my use case, but Canon still deserves kudos for packing this much spec in a single body.

When the 8K rumour first emerged, few believed it. And fewer still thought it would be for more than a very short recording time due to heat issues. I think if 20 minutes had been touted at the start, people would have been amazed. It's a shame it won't work for you, but it's still far better than anyone would have predicted before this year.

Reactions: 6 users
Upvote 0

Eclipsed

EOS R5, "Hefty Fifty" and more.
Apr 30, 2020
You may not be taking into account the dailies are often longer than the final cut scene, not by that much but it adds up when you consider not every scene is done in one take either. Plus you may have other scenes and so on. Thus you could still hit overheating filming for final output that is sub 5 minutes tops. Also nearly every single person I know filming 8K or 4K outputs to 1080p generally with some 1440p and 4K and 8K is never the intended final res delivered. Mostly not crop and stabilisation being primary motivation, although they are important it is often for the downsampling from higher is more favourable qualitywise than filming at that res.

I do think it is ott for talking head stuff I can think of BUT I don't know exactly what he is filming for, for what clients and final viewing intentions. Those considered it could be demanded almost. We often assume based on our use and limited details what we think others need, we are often off the mark when we do that thus I try not to. If he say he needs it maybe he does.

For me one of the things I like most about Canon is they are conservative and it just works when you want it to and under all conditions typical of the niche it is aimed at. If I wanted spec sheet monsters other companies do that well and my primary reason for avoiding sony is the great value and features but at cost of overheating and not always just work. Don't get me wrong the R5 is looking great but I'd prefer more bulk and slightly less sealing for the sake of more cooling as if I need sealing there are plenty of housing solutions. Or go the accessories route and add a metal coldfinger passive heatsink that you can connect active cooling to externally like some astro and niche sensors have where you can mount active pelt effect or air cooling solutions to the exposed metal on the exterior of shell that is directly connected to the internal cold finger.

The simple solution is more than one body, and a chiller for the one that's cooling down. Like swapping out batteries instead of shutting down waiting for your only battery to recharge. Even a little forced air tent, powered by a camera battery, would reduce recovery time.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
Jan 22, 2012
I'm not the person you were replying to, but my biggest worry is overheating at 8K/24p/IPB when shooting talking-head stuff or interviews, which can often go an hour or more. I'm used to having to pause to reset the recording after 30 minutes or change a memory card, but now we're talking 30 minutes of downtime between shots.

The way I'm justifying the purchase to myself is by remembering that the camera shoots 4K/24 with better IQ/AF and a leaner codec than my 1DX2 or 5D4 and the ability to shoot 8K or 4K/120p is a bonus.
Why so presumptuous? Why so insecure? It will be fine for sure...

Upvote 0

Colorado

Canon R5
Dec 16, 2013
Really?? I didn’t see that.
Posted this in another thread but from the dprewiew.com initial R5 review:

8 stops
  • 24-70mm F2.8L
  • 24-105mm F4L
  • 24-105mm F4-7.1
  • 28-70mm F2L
  • 85mm F1.2L
  • 85mm F2 Macro
7.5 stops
  • 70-200mm F2.8L
7 stops
  • 15-35mm F2.8L
  • 35mm F1.8 IS
  • 50mm F1.2L
6.5 stops
  • 24-240mm F4-6.3
6 stops
  • 100-500mm F4.5-7.1L

Upvote 0
When the 8K rumour first emerged, few believed it. And fewer still thought it would be for more than a very short recording time due to heat issues. I think if 20 minutes had been touted at the start, people would have been amazed. It's a shame it won't work for you, but it's still far better than anyone would have predicted before this year.

Dont get me wrong. It is a phenomenal release. I don’t care so much about the 8K thermals as I had a feeling it was going to be heat limited in some form. But I didn’t expect such limited performance in 4K as well.

A crazy idea, but I wonder if Canon could have somehow created an R5 body with a heat pipe and an optional battery grip with an integrated fan that can somehow transfer the heat away. Then the video shooter like myself could get extended shooting performance and the stills shooter could get the regular traditional grip all without compromising the weather sealing of the body.

Upvote 0
I expected a beefy price in CAD but for me to walk out the door with one they'll ask for $6101 after taxes in Canada! Didnt think i'd be blowing 6k though. Are they making up for their losses of Covid? This is getting rediculously expensive to stay in the 5-line camera family, I've owned all from the very first 5D, and each release the price goes up substantially. The only way you'll get one at a better price is wait a year or so, but since the 5Div being release in 2016 the wait is long overdue so this is a tough decision. Now I have to justify 6k is worth blowing for a camera.

Upvote 0
Sep 1, 2016
I love that the best anyone can do to attack this release is "but only 20 minutes shooting in 8K? LOL CANONFAIL"

Why you would need to continuously shoot 8k is beyond me. As a film maker, there are maybe a few specific instances (generally during live capture) where it would be useful, so you could cut down into the frame in multiple places or zoom around the shot. Anyone who sees 20 minutes with 8K as a dealbreaker on that package clearly wasn't going to buy it to begin with.

It's a data capture monster. From everything that's come out in the last 24 hours, it's apparent the R5 is massive step up. GASed up fanboys who now have nothing new to chase feel deflated as everything was spoiled early. But I'm willing to bet the majority of the audience - the people who don't vulture-pick every spec and construct problems they didn't have in the first place to explain why it isn't quite good enough for them - will have pre-ordered in droves.

If it's not for you, then fine. But between the 5 & 6, Canon just slapped two massive target markets with hugely compelling offerings. Plus there's legendary glass to put on both. I'm thrilled.

Reactions: 9 users
Upvote 0

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
I'd love to know what you did and if you are an existing CPS member as when I used the link to claim the free adapter, as I am an existing CPS member, there were no offers. I've raised this with the retailer and Canon as even though I don't have any EF lenses having been totally on RF glass since buying the R, it's always good to have it for any re sale value
I clicked the link on it and it wasn't working.Canon probably hasn't set it yet.

Upvote 0

StevenA

CR Pro
Jul 8, 2020
that 8k is a gimmick. R6 is the better buy.
It WAS too big of a leap to expect there wouldn't be issues. I wasn't interested b/c of the 8k so I'm still a buyer. I want the 45mp, 12/20 fps, IBIS, eye tracking for humans and animals and a few other goodies. For me it's still going to be an awesome camera.

Upvote 0
Pre-order price is AUD$7,099 in Australia according to “canon.com.au“ website! Yes, this includes the 10% GST or federal sales tax of Australia. But, OMG... I am sure it’s worth every cent, but, goodness me, good luck finding both professionals and advanced amateurs with the cash to buy these in the COVID era!

Around AUD$5,499 to AUD$5,699 may have been a little more palatable! In a time where ‘pro-work’ is drying up, newspapers are shutting down and people are losing their jobs - these will not sell like hot cakes!

yeah, that's just crazy, feel bad for you guys, in Canada its $6101 taxes out the door, which I still think is ridiculous! and our currency is very similar. The 5dIV cost me $4600 out the door at release. 5DIII was $3600 out the door

Upvote 0
But I didn’t expect such limited performance in 4K as well.
Canon stressed this in the release that the R5 is a hybrid shooters camera but people are barking on about this overheating issue like it's a fully fledged cinema camera.

If your main purpose is to shoot video, you're looking at the totally wrong type of camera IMO especially when it costs £4200.

I can imagine all the YouTube click bait titles with images of R5's in flames already......:cautious:

Yet, people will still buy the R5 in their droves and produce some amazing looking stills photography, HD, 4K, 4K120 and 8K video all without their cameras having a total melt down.

Reactions: 4 users
Upvote 0
Canon stressed this in the release that the R5 is a hybrid shooters camera but people are barking on about this overheating issue like it's a fully fledged cinema camera.

If your main purpose is to shoot video, you're looking at the totally wrong type of camera IMO especially when it costs £4200.

I can imagine all the YouTube click bait titles with images of R5's in flames already......Yet, people will still buy the R5 in their droves and produce some amazing looking stills photography, HD, 4K, 4K120 and 8K video all without their cameras having a total melt down.
Yes, I think we've found our DR for the 2020's. Sony trolls will now drone on endlessly about heating issues even though the R's only have thermal issues when doing things that are imposible with the Sony's (and Panasonic's). Get ready for it because it's coming.

Upvote 0
I actually preordered at https://www.camerapro.com.au/canon-eos-r5-mirrorless-body-only.html

before they introduced a deal with a free adapter and reduced the price by $40. A couple of hours later, they wrote me I'd get the free adapter and a $40 refund. It won't be the control ring one but that's not a big deal, overall it looks ok.
Will be looking for memory cards closer to the delivery date.
Btw you're right, I searched for grey adapters and couldn't find good options in Australia. There's one with control ring for about $300 on ebay from China.

Yeah, forget about the Canon AU website. Digidirect seems to be the cheapest. My budget was $5500 so I have really stretched. I need an adaptor, I didn't need another battery as I have a few LP-E3 batteries that I could use (yes I know that they have less capacity)
I will do without some other stuff... maybe even the CFe card for the moment. MSY has the cheapest UHS-II card prices I have found at AUD289/128GB. We don't know the sanctioned CFe cards yet ie which cards meet Canon's requirements for 8k/30 etc.
Let me know if you find a grey adapter as I can't find any. AUD170-180 is the cheapest

Upvote 0

Starting out EOS R

Feb 13, 2020
I clicked the link on it and it wasn't working.Canon probably hasn't set it yet.
I've mentioned this to the retailer and to Canon and since then & clicked on the retailer link again which now reveals two options, one for signing up and one for existing members to claim the free adapter. However when you click on the existing members option, it comes up saying the page is under construction and will be available soon.

I'm sure it will be up and running soon but it makes me smile when companies do things like this and then it doesn't work because it's still being finished. It's not like Canon didn't know they were going to announce these cameras and must have agreed the offers at some point. I can imagine the offer department, 'what there's an offer your going to give' where did that come from, we'd better get something sorted out then. Oh by the way, it won't be ready for when you tell people they can have it, is that OK??? :ROFLMAO: I bet it's inundated when it actually goes live and 100% they will not have sufficient stock for the number of people making claims which could be an issue with the end of august being the deadline for claims.

I'll go and sit in a dark room now and stop being grumpy and grouchy lol. :D

Upvote 0