Preorder: Canon EOS R5, Canon EOS R6 and new lenses

Nov 1, 2012
For you, I'm probably deeply in the "stills" camp, but I wouldn't mind using 8K raw for a 30fps burst of raw stills.

I was wondering about this last night. I often shoot sports, and match is typically 2-4 minutes long. So especially for important matches (final etc) could I just record the whole match and the frame capture 35Mpix taken at 30fps.

I was wondering how is the quality, meaning if the compression or anything making it look worse, or would it be identical to same shot taken with still 35Mpix camera.

Another problem though, shooting at 30p means you should use 1/60 ss. Stills I'm using 1/500 (90% of the time), so we're looking almost 10-fold more motion blur. I could use same 1/500 ss for video, but then it would look bad as video.

I guess if I end up buying the camera, I can test and experiment.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Apr 25, 2011
I was wondering how is the quality, meaning if the compression or anything making it look worse, or would it be identical to same shot taken with still 35Mpix camera.
Raw shall be raw, just cropped for video aspect rate.

All-I and especially IPB could be a different story.

Another problem though, shooting at 30p means you should use 1/60 ss. Stills I'm using 1/500 (90% of the time), so we're looking almost 10-fold more motion blur. I could use same 1/500 ss for video, but then it would look bad as video.
Well, if, as an end result, you want both stills and video, you better use two cameras, of course.

If EOS R5 controls in video modes are about the same as for EOS R, shutter speeds from 1/4000 to 1/8 should be available in M and Tv video modes.

Upvote 0

zim

CR Pro
Oct 18, 2011
I was wondering about this last night. I often shoot sports, and match is typically 2-4 minutes long. So especially for important matches (final etc) could I just record the whole match and the frame capture 35Mpix taken at 30fps.

That's an interesting question. I was thinking the same for even less key point time spans at air shows. Then again the devil on my other shoulder is saying what's happening to the skill at getting 'that' photo. If the tech is really good is it going to rip the heart and fun out of my hobby?

Upvote 0
Nov 1, 2012
Raw shall be raw, just cropped for video aspect rate.

I don't think compressed raw is same as still raw. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

Well, if, as an end result, you want both stills and video, you better use two cameras, of course.

Already carry 2 for stills, usually assistant shoots second body for important matches. But interesting idea to use R5 to capture final matches in 30fps 35Mpix.

Upvote 0
Nov 1, 2012
That's an interesting question. I was thinking the same for even less key point time spans at air shows. Then again the devil on my other shoulder is saying what's happening to the skill at getting 'that' photo. If the tech is really good is it going to rip the heart and fun out of my hobby?

Yea, I was talking this with a friend already couple years ago. Especially for me shooting stills at 12fps I can't guarantee I can catch the moment for the strikes, even more at higher level where they execute those in 0.1-0.3 second so my reaction time is often too slow. Shooting continuous 30fps is kinda interesting aspect, and for sure I'll at least try it to see if it works.

Upvote 0
I did not pre-order.
As a working pro I could justify the cost but I am realizing that they will not change the quality of my work or the ease with which I can get a good image.
Also, my clients will never see the difference in IQ and I wonder if I will.

If I do make the upgrade, it will be because I see a demonstrable uptick in my volume (at present 20% of "normal") and that they offer a distinctive difference in operational pleasure.
I will try them out when they arrive at my local shop and I may go ahead and buy one. But it will only be if they surprise me with something that, as yet, has not been made apparent.

Upvote 0

You can choose a higher speed. I have often heard the advice of using 1/frame rate as looking most "filmic". I have used a variety of speeds to see the difference and found that the high speeds were not an issue in terms of IQ. The issue you may have is rolling shutter artifacts as the scan rate is often about 1/60 or so. The Sony A9 has a much faster scan rate so this is less of an issue.

I would test this idea with the camera you already own to see ht effect. IMO it will be fine especially since your goal would be stills.

Of course you can always pick an Olympus m43 kit and get 60fps. ;)

Upvote 0
Nov 1, 2012
I would test this idea with the camera you already own to see ht effect. IMO it will be fine especially since your goal would be stills.

Of course you can always pick an Olympus m43 kit and get 60fps. ;)

If I start taking video, I probably want also use the video too, hence it should look good both video and still. Currently I usually live-stream (with iphone) but depending signal sometimes it looks really crappy. I also have live-stream setup (Cerevo) for my video camera but using it at location is too much hassle that I tried it only 2-3 times and decided iphone is close enough quality with 10% of the work.

I have been eyeing other brands too, around m43 and one inch to use as video camera. The Sony A6xxx series was good contender, especially if I slap some 30/35mm F1.4 lens on them. But I'd like very high frame rate so I can do good slow-motion on post, and there's very few cameras (in my price range) who do more than 120fps. I'd love something with even 720p at 240fps, so I could use 1/480 for shutter. (and I think the "180" rule is 1/(2*frame rate) for the normal look/feel).

One thing I hated learning after I bought 5D4 was that the 720p120 mode didn't do AF. They were really quiet about that. They glamoured about the dual-pixel AF on 4k and 1080p, and also mentioned that 720p you can shoot 120fps. They "forgot" to mention the AF doesn't work on 120fps. The Lumix -series seems to be my best bet, but they are bit pricey for just one trick (for me).

Upvote 0
If you'd like to try abstrating a different sentence to try and save face, have at it...
I’d actually prefer an adult conversation with you that has nothing to do with saving anyone’s reputation or dignity.

Unless I’m wrong, sales of higher end cameras are not as strong today as they were 20 years ago and I am suggesting that while that could be attributed to many things, smart phones and £4000 cameras along with £3000 lenses doesn’t help.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Aug 27, 2019
Completed my pre-order of the R5 yesterday and have been amusing myself with all the youtube videos with flames in the thumbnails.

I suspect I am not alone in not having the slightest bit of worry about the thermal protection system in the R5 cause I do not shoot 25 mins of slow motion @4k and while 8k Raw will be a tool that is awesome to have in the toolbox I am sure editing it will be less desirable after the novelty wears off. Still nice to have if 8k stock footage becomes a thing.

Stuff that really excites me:

Faster shutter speed of the R5 over the R and the RP. I did last years airshow circuit using the R and the RP and while I was happy with the results my hit rate was WAY low. Looking forward to seeing how much easier it is to track the fast movers with the R5.

4k 120, this is going to be stock footage gold mine as few systems can produce smooth 4k slow motion. A lot of my best selling stuff in slow motion HD

45MP, I love taking my epic landscape shots from Banff, Vancouver Island, and places in between and having large aluminum or acrylic prints done. The R's 30mp was good 90% of the time but more is better:)

Stuff that I am less excited about:

Cost of in Camera storage, I have an army of UHS-II cards so that is good but DAMN those CFexpress cards are pricey. Plus I need a new card reader.

Micro HDMI, I use an Atomos Ninja V with my R so I have couple of Mini HDMI to HDMI cables that once I sell the R will not have a lot of use. This is a minor issue but kinda reminds me of when phone chargers change from 1 model to the next leaving us with that drawer full of cables.

Curious what things people are looking forward to and what people are less excited about.

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0

Ozarker

Love, joy, and peace to all of good will.
CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
You're telling me we have to wait all the way to HALLOWEEN for the 85mm f/2???!?!?

Can anyone tell me why you would announce this right now? This makes zero sense to me when it could easily be announced in the fall.

Now I begin the 112 day wait until the thing can actually ship...
Just buy a Samyang/Rokinon RF 85mm f/1.4 AF and be happy.

Seriously, I can't understand why you are complaining. New system. Things don't happen all at once. If they didn't announce you'd be complaining that there was no news of one coming, right?

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0

Ozarker

Love, joy, and peace to all of good will.
CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
Fish and chips, oh yes but has to be from a chip shop next to the sea. There is nothing like it. I would never drive in London. Always use the train lol.
I'm not surprised your daughter enjoyed it as someone else was paying for it. :D That's the best way to enjoy London and Paris, they are very expensive places to visit.
Very true. She's lucky to have Microsoft as her sugar daddy. :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: Smart girl. No university, but managed to become an engineer for Microsoft. I am so very proud. Next year, should the virus abate, she gets a trip to Monaco... all expenses paid again. Better all around than her dad.

Upvote 0
Depends how you look at it really. Personally I think there are amazing bargains for people interested in actually taking compelling high quality images rather than people that buy in to the gotta’ have the newest, bestest, influencer driven toy. You can get a brand new 5DSr for under $1,400, kuhhji, used lenses offer similar bargains.

well said. my 10 yr old t2i died back in march and ive been holding out since then. do i go with 5d mk 4, eos r or r6

Upvote 0
If I start taking video, I probably want also use the video too, hence it should look good both video and still. Currently I usually live-stream (with iphone) but depending signal sometimes it looks really crappy. I also have live-stream setup (Cerevo) for my video camera but using it at location is too much hassle that I tried it only 2-3 times and decided iphone is close enough quality with 10% of the work.

I have been eyeing other brands too, around m43 and one inch to use as video camera. The Sony A6xxx series was good contender, especially if I slap some 30/35mm F1.4 lens on them. But I'd like very high frame rate so I can do good slow-motion on post, and there's very few cameras (in my price range) who do more than 120fps. I'd love something with even 720p at 240fps, so I could use 1/480 for shutter. (and I think the "180" rule is 1/(2*frame rate) for the normal look/feel).

One thing I hated learning after I bought 5D4 was that the 720p120 mode didn't do AF. They were really quiet about that. They glamoured about the dual-pixel AF on 4k and 1080p, and also mentioned that 720p you can shoot 120fps. They "forgot" to mention the AF doesn't work on 120fps. The Lumix -series seems to be my best bet, but they are bit pricey for just one trick (for me).
I just did. latest with my R at 4K . I shot at 1/60 of a fan and the blades were blurry. I also shot at 1/1250 sec and the video still looked great but the fan blades were now very sharp. Of course they were showing pre-cession in that they looked like they were going slowly. Also there was significant rolling shutter. But high shutter speed in video can still look great.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

usern4cr

R5
CR Pro
Sep 2, 2018
Kentucky, USA
Just amazing AF
Checkout 4k and 8K samples too from the same guy.

That video is *incredible* o_O I can see the f7.1 in use which means it's going to be the RF 100-500 f4.5-7.1, and this is the first lens I've ordered with the R5 (woo-hoo!). I'm normally a "stills" guy, but this animal eye detect has made me a believer that I will *have* to cross over to the "dark side" and start taking some videos! And if that's not enough, I believe that you can get raw stills (at 8K by 4320) at various per frame exposure speeds from the video, although I'm hearing that video is 12 bit compressed raw instead of 14 bit raw, correct?

You know, I think that getting acceptable 8K by 4320 raw stills from video is the "extra stills feature" that was hyped to us. After all, I haven't heard of any other "stills" surprise.

Last edited:
Upvote 0