Preorder: Canon EOS R5, Canon EOS R6 and new lenses

Local camera shop, Roberts Camera in Indianapolis, had a Canon day today. Got to try out the R5 with the RF70-200. Pre ordered already but nice to confirm that the camera is what I expected. Tried the battery grip too, I like the camera better without it. They also thought they would be able to fill all pre orders with the first shipment of cameras. Hoping they are right.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0
Mar 25, 2011
That video is *incredible* o_O I can see the f7.1 in use which means it's going to be the RF 100-500 f4.5-7.1, and this is the first lens I've ordered with the R5 (woo-hoo!). I'm normally a "stills" guy, but this animal eye detect has made me a believer that I will *have* to cross over to the "dark side" and start taking some videos! And if that's not enough, I believe that you can get raw stills (at 8K by 4320) at various per frame exposure speeds from the video, although I'm hearing that video is 12 bit compressed raw instead of 14 bit raw, correct?

You know, I think that getting acceptable 8K by 4320 raw stills from video is the "extra stills feature" that was hyped to us. After all, I haven't heard of any other "stills" surprise.
I was, and still am wondering if the 8K video does a good enough job to capture a bird in flight and extract a high quality frame. I'm sure we will see results.

Upvote 0
Nov 1, 2012
Local camera shop, Roberts Camera in Indianapolis, had a Canon day today. Got to try out the R5 with the RF70-200. Pre ordered already but nice to confirm that the camera is what I expected. Tried the battery grip too, I like the camera better without it. They also thought they would be able to fill all pre orders with the first shipment of cameras. Hoping they are right.

Interesting, please elaborate about the grip, and do you previously use grip on your current/earlier bodies?

I've had grip since ~2010, and when I bought 5D4 the grip was very expensive and I thought maybe I can live without one. First studio shoot with awkward hand positions and much more tired hands, I decided to order the grip immediately. So I'd be curious why you felt it's better without.

Funny enough, for my sport shooting I have 2-3 regular assistant. The one I use most, after some 3-4 years of shooting with my gripped 5D4 and 1DX, last winter she came to me very excited "Tero! Did you know when you rotate camera to portrait, there's another shutter button on top!!!" Couldn't help but laugh.

• Wow
Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

Joel C

EOS R6, EOS R, EOS RP
CR Pro
Sep 22, 2019
Tacoma, WA
Just buy a Samyang/Rokinon RF 85mm f/1.4 AF and be happy.

Seriously, I can't understand why you are complaining. New system. Things don't happen all at once. If they didn't announce you'd be complaining that there was no news of one coming, right?
This is not a new system. If you think it is, well, I guess that on you. If I wanted a Rokinon trash lens, I would have bought the ones I have field tested. My point is, waiting for an announced lens an additional four months is silly. Just announce it in a few months time, we all have the internet, we don't need to attend the conventions to know what is coming out in the next month. hell, here we are on a rumor site right now!

The 100mm f2.8 macros lens that I currently use is 11 years old, so yeah, I would like something that is not $3,000 USD to replace it.

Would I be complaining about a rumored lens coming out? No, I wouldn't. My question was in regards to why announce it so early if there are not enough units to release the sale as I have seen the test units in the field.

Upvote 0

Michael Clark

Now we see through a glass, darkly...
Apr 5, 2016
I was calling out what you said only because you put it right next to mentioning the changes you'd see via parallax when moving the camera position (true change in the images). Bouncing around in crops will be the same as throwing on a longer lens minus the difference in resolution and DOF (although DOF can be made equivalent as was demonstrated further back).

Anyway, sorry to have derailed this thread. It's just a myth that keeps getting perpetuated. I believed it for a long time and argued against it, but I finally understood once I tried some tests myself using my Leica Q's crop mode versus another full frame with interchangeable lenses. Zero difference between Q's 50mm crop (f/1.7) and another camera with 50mm @ f/1.8 shot from the same position. Only differences were those introduced by resolution, bokeh due to the lens designs, etc. But the framing and "compression" of the scene were identical. This is most often misunderstood on medium format forums where everyone thinks their sensor is super magic sauce – when in fact what they're seeing are things like superior sharpness, microcontrast, nice focus falloff, etc. due to superior medium format lenses. But the "compression" isn't better or any different.

Many MF lenses aren't really that "Superior", it's just that the enlargement ratio is so much lower than with 135. If the MF lens can do the same number of lp/mm as the 135 lens, it can do significantly more lp/ih than the 135 lens because the image height is so much larger.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

Michael Clark

Apr 5, 2016
All talking about the R5 and I only hope that the R6 will drop at least $200 in October and that Sigma or Tamron launch their 24-70 2.8 RF at a good price o_O.

PD1: 8k is marketing :alien:
PD2: Saludos desde Argentina

If the R6 doesn't ship until September, the price will not drop by October, at least not October 2020. Maybe by October 2021.

Upvote 0

Michael Clark

Apr 5, 2016
It will depend if it is oversampled I guess. Oversampled it will record for 30 mins and shut down for 10mins which will allow another 10mins. If it is binned or cropped, probably will not. But if that is the case, I’m spendIng almost $6k+ after taxes up here in Canada with the marquee features being essentially heat limited.

Panasonic knows this and the S1H runs all day long and is Netflix certified. I get the sense Sony (at least based on recent rumors) knows this as well since it was somehow important enough to leak ahead of anything else, aside from the EVF resolution.

My point is the R5 really needed a cooling solution. But you can’t really do that and retain 5D weather sealing. Everything has compromises and Canon simply decided to go this way.

I get Canon needed to make a statement, but that’s such a “Sony” move by putting it on the spec sheet and padding it with fine print.

I was seriously considering this body this week. I’m a bit disappointed that it doesn’t fit my use case, but Canon still deserves kudos for packing this much spec in a single body.

Everyone: "Why can't Canon make FF mirrorless cameras like Sony does?

Canon makes a camera with "spec sheet" 8K video that has heat issues.

Everyone: "OMG. Why does Canon have to pull the same crap as Sony?"

• Haha
Reactions: 4 users
Upvote 0

Michael Clark

Apr 5, 2016
Wooow, :oops: that video was stunning! The photos of the models were ... Ay yi yi ... stunning ... what was I talking about? ... oh yeah - The use of the oriental umbrella as both an artistic prop and a big colorful light diffuser over the head & torso turning bright sunlight into a work of art, :love: with those models was ... Ay yi yi ... what was I talking about? ... oh yeah ... That really made the 85mm f1.2 look great, as well as the 85mm f2. Wooow! ;)

That just goes to show it is all about subject matter, composition, and lighting before it is anything about minor differences in camera and lens quality/performance.

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

Michael Clark

Apr 5, 2016
Pre-ordered an R6. And now for the long, painful wait for a 135mm (f/1.4?) prime with IS hopefully.

You realize a 135/1.4 would need only a slightly smaller front element diameter than a 300/2.8? Are you prepared to pay $8K for that 135/1.4? The RF 135mm L might be f/1.8, but it will not be f/1.4. That's fantasyland.

Upvote 0

Michael Clark

Apr 5, 2016
You may not be taking into account the dailies are often longer than the final cut scene, not by that much but it adds up when you consider not every scene is done in one take either. Plus you may have other scenes and so on. Thus you could still hit overheating filming for final output that is sub 5 minutes tops. Also nearly every single person I know filming 8K or 4K outputs to 1080p generally with some 1440p and 4K and 8K is never the intended final res delivered. Mostly not crop and stabilisation being primary motivation, although they are important it is often for the downsampling from higher is more favourable qualitywise than filming at that res.

I do think it is ott for talking head stuff I can think of BUT I don't know exactly what he is filming for, for what clients and final viewing intentions. Those considered it could be demanded almost. We often assume based on our use and limited details what we think others need, we are often off the mark when we do that thus I try not to. If he say he needs it maybe he does.

For me one of the things I like most about Canon is they are conservative and it just works when you want it to and under all conditions typical of the niche it is aimed at. If I wanted spec sheet monsters other companies do that well and my primary reason for avoiding sony is the great value and features but at cost of overheating and not always just work. Don't get me wrong the R5 is looking great but I'd prefer more bulk and slightly less sealing for the sake of more cooling as if I need sealing there are plenty of housing solutions. Or go the accessories route and add a metal coldfinger passive heatsink that you can connect active cooling to externally like some astro and niche sensors have where you can mount active pelt effect or air cooling solutions to the exposed metal on the exterior of shell that is directly connected to the internal cold finger.

For any production at the level you describe in your first paragraph, the difference in cost between having three bodies to rotate on set instead of a single body is miniscule in the overall scale of the total cost per day to shoot.

This is not much different than when TV shows started shooting some shows with 5D Mark IIs and 7Ds: They had to have three bodies to swap out when each started getting too warm.

Upvote 0

Michael Clark

Apr 5, 2016
I expected a beefy price in CAD but for me to walk out the door with one they'll ask for $6101 after taxes in Canada! Didnt think i'd be blowing 6k though. Are they making up for their losses of Covid? This is getting rediculously expensive to stay in the 5-line camera family, I've owned all from the very first 5D, and each release the price goes up substantially. The only way you'll get one at a better price is wait a year or so, but since the 5Div being release in 2016 the wait is long overdue so this is a tough decision. Now I have to justify 6k is worth blowing for a camera.

How close do you live to the U.S. border?

5D Mark III in 2012: $3,499 USD
5D Mark IV in 2016: $3,499 USD
EOS R5 in $2020: $3,899 USD

Upvote 0