Preorder: Canon EOS R5, Canon EOS R6 and new lenses

Wow...UK price for the R5 body is way over inflated compared to US price. US $3899. Through the current 1.26 exchange rate, £3094.44. Dial in a 20% vat rate, £3713.33 should be the accurate UK price. Current uk price: £4199!!! £500 higher than it should be, $600 is you do the conversion numbers.
Typically in the UK we take the US $ price and change the $ for £ sign and that usually equates the VAt margin...but this camera is WAY more expensive than that. £300 MORE than that. Canon is being greedy with the UK market again.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

Eclipsed

EOS R5, "Hefty Fifty" and more.
Apr 30, 2020
Wasn't the free grip several months later after sales slowed on the EOS R. I'm sure once sales slow on the R5, there will be similar promotions at that time.
Just for fun, what would anyone predict for the first date a major retailer (Adorama or BH) has an R5 in stock at normal price and ready to ship? I’ll guess Jan 1 2021.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011
Wooow, :oops: that video was stunning! The photos of the models were ... Ay yi yi ... stunning ... what was I talking about? ... oh yeah - The use of the oriental umbrella as both an artistic prop and a big colorful light diffuser over the head & torso turning bright sunlight into a work of art, :love: with those models was ... Ay yi yi ... what was I talking about? ... oh yeah ... That really made the 85mm f1.2 look great, as well as the 85mm f2. Wooow! ;)
Having watched Irene’s videos since she began I don’t see anything different in the actual images from her normal 5D III and her EF 85 f1.2.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

SecureGSM

2 x 5D IV
Feb 26, 2017
I certainly won’t give them free promotion by wearing the R5 jacket if I have one. I never use their camera straps.

The RRP for the R5 in Australia is A$7099. Some local retailers already dropped it to around A$6500, and includes a lucky strap and battery.
Great! ... another A$1,000 off and then we a talking.. they can keep the strap, I will have a battery or two, thanks :)

Upvote 0

Starting out EOS R

EOS R5 - RF24-105mm F4L, RF70-200mm f2.8L
Feb 13, 2020
Sorry to ruin your day. So here's much more balanced point of view from Armando Ferreira :)

This was actually quite a balanced and realistic review, especially around the limitations on video and heat, so much so that I subscribed to his channel. I'll give it a whirl to see what future episodes are like.

Upvote 0
"Future R5 firmware updates plan to add 1080/120p, lower bitrate options for RAW and IPB in all recording modes, and Canon Log 3."

Looks like an even more serious hybrid camera, no such firmware updates planned for the R6
I’m going to need a direct link to this quote to confirm it’s authenticity. Till then, I will remain skeptical

Upvote 0

usern4cr

R5
CR Pro
Sep 2, 2018
Kentucky, USA
I know this is the current "hot"-topic, so I thought I'd give my 2 cents on it (that's about all it's worth):

I happen to be a "stills shooter", so the fuss about overheating doesn't really worry me either way.
But the video I've seen (animal eye-AF etc) is so stunning that I'd probably get into video after all. But I wouldn't be in to it hot & heavy (no pun intended) and I don't think it would be an issue at all, and if it was then I'd just enjoy the great 4K which is probably more than I'd hope for anyway.

Since I am a stills shooter, my main concern (and not a big one) is whether the low pass sensor filter they mention will dull the resolution of the stills it takes or not. Many here have mentioned it probably will be a mild filter version. I'm assuming Canon knows how to make it high quality and good, so I'm not going to sweat it.

My bottom line is that I've been waiting a long time to buy into the Canon FF system with quality glass and I don't want to have to wait for the next R... camera to come out in a year or so. So I'm going to enjoy the heck out of my R5 and be happy for all the incredible things I can do with it now. In the future when they come out with the next R... with better this-or-that, I'll be able to consider buying it as a 2nd body to go with my existing R lenses.

So, win-win - let the fun begin! ;)

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0
Many MF lenses aren't really that "Superior", it's just that the enlargement ratio is so much lower than with 135. If the MF lens can do the same number of lp/mm as the 135 lens, it can do significantly more lp/ih than the 135 lens because the image height is so much larger.

I was thinking specifically about the GF lenses for GFX. Older film MF lenses were not very high-resolving in comparison.

Upvote 0
Aug 26, 2015
I’m going to need a direct link to this quote to confirm it’s authenticity. Till then, I will remain skeptical
I have checked it with a different translator
What I think it means is right now there is no Canon Log 3 conversion for the RAW recording.

And, they are going to add IPB compression where it is grayed out and only ALL-I is possible.

Furthermore, they will add 1080p 120fps for those who don't want 4k 120fps with the file sizes and overheating.

Reactions: 4 users
Upvote 0

SteveC

R5
CR Pro
Sep 3, 2019
Preordered on June 18th so maybe I'll see one soon. Getting into full frame with a bang!

Still looking forward to this, overheating be damned.

I do shoot casual videos to go alongside the stills (e.g., I want to capture an animal in motion once I've shot pictures), but I doubt I'll ever use 8K for anything--maybe never even 4K.

[Since this is what I do, clearly no one else should ever want to do anything differently, therefore this issue is overblown. And I shouldn't have to say this but have to anyway: /sarc. "Sarchasm" being the gulf between you and the guy who doesn't realize you're being sarcastic.]

Upvote 0

Besisika

How can you stand out, if you do like evrybdy else
Mar 25, 2014
Montreal
I don't know the answer but it crossed my mind too. My mind is totally at ease though, I receive enough for my money that I don't dare criticize any longer.
EOSHD claims that Log3 will be added later.

Upvote 0
I am quite shocked how negative reviewers could get. E.g. Tony & Chelsea Northrup - did not those guys say stuff like - no way 8K is more than a timelapse mode? Now they seem to rave about the overheating. They should rent C200 for the 4K/60 stable performance though and not complain about the production level stuff with the small MILC camera of any brand, even if those might be regarded being professional ...

And they complained about not knowing if the R5/6 animal eye-AF was going to work, when clearly there are videos on YouTube showing this. And the videos are linked to from multiple sites like Fredmiranda, here, and in Canon Facebook groups. It's like it's their first time using the Internet or something.

Upvote 0
Hello, is it true, that using Canon R6 with his 20 Mpx sensor will restrict the high resolution of RF lenses? I read that they are capable of even 100 Mpx. Than it would be better to choose R5 with his 45 Mpx. Of course I will not print big pictures but I thought that maybe after zooming in you will still have much more detail as while using R6?

Upvote 0

Billybob

800mm f/11 because a cellphone isn't long enough!
May 22, 2016
And they complained about not knowing if the R5/6 animal eye-AF was going to work, when clearly there are videos on YouTube showing this. And the videos are linked to from multiple sites like Fredmiranda, here, and in Canon Facebook groups. It's like it's their first time using the Internet or something.
I'm struggling with all the hating on the Northrup's. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think they make it clear that they are not criticizing the R5. They can't, they don't have it. Rather, they are throwing in a contrarian perspective by saying "wait until objective reviews get posted before getting too excited".

Isn't their advice the essence of prudent decision making? Instead of focusing on all the "wow's" for which there are many and the Canon marketing and ambassadors have highlighted, also make sure that you have vetted all the potential negatives before making a purchase decision. Never get too positive or too negative on an important purchasing decision.

Personally, I have gotten caught up in all the hype. I have a pre-order placed, but I do need to consider the negatives before allowing shipment. First, I am a stills shooter so the overheating problem is a rather minor concern (not a decision factor). However, I do care about the anti-aliasing filter. If it's too strong, then the IQ could be a significant downgrade from my A7rIII. I don't need 60, 70, or 80MP, but I don't want to take a step back from the most brilliant sensor I've ever used. A related factor is the DR. It will be nice to see if it does in fact have the one-stop improvement promised.

Other concerns involve continuous shooting, probably the main reason I've ordered this camera. There will be rolling-shutter artifacts, but how severe? What will be the penalty for shooting 20fps electronic? Will it be 12-bit or even 10-bit images? Will the DR drop noticeably when shooting at that fast repeat rate? What happens to the DR shooting at 20fps? Does it drop as well? Finally, how close are the 12/20fps continuous to reality? If I can only achieve--or come close to these values--in shooting situations that are not common to my shooting practices, then the camera doesn't make sense.

What else is important to know before using this camera?

While negative responses to any of these questions is unlikely to change my buying decision (unless extremely negative), I would like to be fully informed before making this kind of sizable purchase. Basically, if you are upgrading from the 5dIV (or considering a move from Sony or Nikon land) isn't it important to know that the r5 is indeed an upgrade in dimensions that matter to you? I think so.

So, I"m hoping that there will be objective reviews released before the r5 ships. If not, I may cancel my preorder and wait for those reviews to appear.

Upvote 0
I'm struggling with all the hating on the Northrup's. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think they make it clear that they are not criticizing the R5. They can't, they don't have it. Rather, they are throwing in a contrarian perspective by saying "wait until objective reviews get posted before getting too excited".

Isn't their advice the essence of prudent decision making? Instead of focusing on all the "wow's" for which there are many and the Canon marketing and ambassadors have highlighted, also make sure that you have vetted all the potential negatives before making a purchase decision. Never get too positive or too negative on an important purchasing decision.

Personally, I have gotten caught up in all the hype. I have a pre-order placed, but I do need to consider the negatives before allowing shipment. First, I am a stills shooter so the overheating problem is a rather minor concern (not a decision factor). However, I do care about the anti-aliasing filter. If it's too strong, then the IQ could be a significant downgrade from my A7rIII. I don't need 60, 70, or 80MP, but I don't want to take a step back from the most brilliant sensor I've ever used. A related factor is the DR. It will be nice to see if it does in fact have the one-stop improvement promised.

Other concerns involve continuous shooting, probably the main reason I've ordered this camera. There will be rolling-shutter artifacts, but how severe? What will be the penalty for shooting 20fps electronic? Will it be 12-bit or even 10-bit images? Will the DR drop noticeably when shooting at that fast repeat rate? What happens to the DR shooting at 20fps? Does it drop as well? Finally, how close are the 12/20fps continuous to reality? If I can only achieve--or come close to these values--in shooting situations that are not common to my shooting practices, then the camera doesn't make sense.

What else is important to know before using this camera?

While negative responses to any of these questions is unlikely to change my buying decision (unless extremely negative), I would like to be fully informed before making this kind of sizable purchase. Basically, if you are upgrading from the 5dIV (or considering a move from Sony or Nikon land) isn't it important to know that the r5 is indeed an upgrade in dimensions that matter to you? I think so.

So, I"m hoping that there will be objective reviews released before the r5 ships. If not, I may cancel my preorder and wait for those reviews to appear.

Some of their concerns, yes, there have been no notable reports yet. But many things like the AA filter have been talked about already. Canon is saying the new low pass filter tech plus RF glass is letting the R5 outresolve the 5DsR. I’m not trying to hate on them, but given their stature, I just expected a little more Googling on their part.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

BakaBokeh

CR Pro
May 16, 2020
What do you think to the Capture? I purchased one and used it with my EOS R and 24-105mm F4L but found it not comfortable at all on my belt or on the rucksack strap. I sent it back as I won't use it. Is it me or does it warrant the advertising hype?
Different strokes for different folks I guess. I love the capture clip and use it on my strap. It is weird to have some weight dangling but to allow you to free your hands quickly is invaluable. Make sure it on the left strap as that provides the most natural operation. The peak design arca Swiss plate is very low profile and unobtrusive so it lives on all my bodies. Also I converted all my tripods to arca Swiss, put arca Swiss quick release on gimbals so mounting and removing everything is blazing fast.

Upvote 0