Preorder: Canon EOS R5, Canon EOS R6 and new lenses

digigal

Traveling the world one step at a time.
CR Pro
Aug 26, 2014
If you hear of R5 focus bracketing details, I'd like to know if they allow a +/- focus bracket from the current focus position (that's the way I want to use it). That would be a different option from setting your focus position to the closest focus used in the stack (that's the way I don't like at all, but some cameras only offer this option).
Wim Ary at wimary.com goes through all the settings on menu on the back of the R5 with suggestions for the settings and shows that the Focus Bracketing Option is listed at the bottom at # 5 on the Camera Icon (the 7th one down). He discusses the options but I've never used focus stacking. You might go to his web site and check it out under the Tips and Tricks section for the R5
Catherine

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
I expected a beefy price in CAD but for me to walk out the door with one they'll ask for $6101 after taxes in Canada! Didnt think i'd be blowing 6k though. Are they making up for their losses of Covid? This is getting rediculously expensive to stay in the 5-line camera family, I've owned all from the very first 5D, and each release the price goes up substantially. The only way you'll get one at a better price is wait a year or so, but since the 5Div being release in 2016 the wait is long overdue so this is a tough decision. Now I have to justify 6k is worth blowing for a camera.
Clearly the R5 is above the "regular" 5 series. Currently the R5 is 70% more expensive than the 5Div and 80% if you include the currently bundled AUD250 gift card. I get that the 5Div is already 4 years old but it has been keeping its price high even though the R has been dropping a lot.

Upvote 0
Aug 27, 2019
Define the problem? Have you ever been involved in a product launch? If not I can assure you that videos depicting your product going up in flames are not desirable. Making important influencers pissed of at you; also not desirable. Do I really need to explain this to you. It seems pretty basic.
It doesn’t matter right now what the reality is. By the time we know that too many people will already have made up their minds. Obviously you’ve made up yours so that’s all I have to say on it. Feel free to have the last word.

Thanks for allowing me to have my own opinion, so gracious of you. There very well maybe an issue with heat and long record times with higher frame-rates and higher resolutions, but as long as you the user are aware of that you can work around it or ensure you have the right tool for the job.

It appears to me that Canon is being transparent about the "issue". You are acting like you have uncovered some big corporate secret.

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0
Feb 13, 2018
No one. No one is trying to use this as an 8K A Cam, if that was their hope they obviously aren't serious about video work. I honestly don't even think they oversold it. If this is basically a 5D5 but Mirrorless I'm more than happy.
There are far more limitations that all mirrorless cameras have as an A cam on any real set. If I was doing long form interviews or anything chances are I'd still be grabbing GH5's or C200s if I wanted something like that. I'd sooner upscale 4K than ever shoot a long interview in 8K.

The 8K options, especially raw make for a super compelling option for people getting into visual effects. You're getting a lot of resolution and latitude in a small package and that's INCREDIBLE for doing comps and such. That's one example of a killer use for this 8K.

And you definitely aren't doing 20+ minute single cut comps at 8K with visual effects.

This is also a great option for a special case camera on a set. Stunts, interior of stunt cars, places where the camera could potentially be wasted. Why not chuck a tiny camera capable of getting a couple takes in 8K raw on a car you're going to launch across a river or something? hahaha

I'll keep saying it. Canon knocked out just about every gottdang ask that everyone had for a "pro" stills mirrorless body and gave us some killer options at the upper end of video. The camera is gonna rule. It's solid.
And anyone still comparing it to an A7SIII is pointless too, that's a dedicated video camera with(likely) a 12MP sensor. Who cares, apples and oranges.
Can you explain what limitations that you see?
I think these cameras especially the R6 can compete with the Sony A7S3. In particular, we still have to see if Sony is able to put 4K60 in the A7S3. If they do, they may neet fans or the camera may also overheat.

Upvote 0

WriteLight

Landscape and Architecture, R5
CR Pro
Mar 15, 2020
Des Moines, IA
You guys get free ink pens? I'm jealous!

With the the first time we join Gold or above we get a one time camera strap with the pad from the Op/Tech Utility Strap - 3/8" with a CPS logo in the center and two Canon logos on each end of the pad instead of the Op/Tech logo. The detachable ends are like the ones that come with the OP/TECH Pro Loop Strap. Each membership number only gets one for life, though, if they even still do that.

I have also received a couple of small lapel pin/tie tack type things with the CPS logo, but it's been a long while since they sent those out here in the U.S. They don't even send out a new plastic membership card each time you renew any more. They claim it's to save the planet, but they still overnight you blank repair forms and "Rush" labels via FedEx! (or maybe it's 2nd Day Air?)
They still list all those items as a perk of gold membership. I just became eligible with the purchase of an RF 24-105 f/4 L and should be on my way to platinum when my R5 arrives.

Upvote 0

korbar

Preordering Fool?
Jul 7, 2020
Can you explain what limitations that you see?
I think these cameras especially the R6 can compete with the Sony A7S3. In particular, we still have to see if Sony is able to put 4K60 in the A7S3. If they do, they may neet fans or the camera may also overheat.
On a film set there are a lot of things that a non-dedicated video camera lack that people require, set depending.
Timecode sync, I/O for SDI XLR, etc. What I'm trying to get at is that proper film sets aren't going to roll up with a Canon R5 and no other cameras and use it as an A cam. Key here is proper film sets.

As for the R5 vs the A7SIII, they aren't even trying to compete in the same class. The R5 is a killer hybrid stills and video camera where the A7SIII is a video camera that has stills capability. With all the people complaining about the R6 only having 20MP, why are people even throwing the A7SIII into R5 conversation? You know? These are different tools with different focuses.
The A7SIII is going to be a wonderful and incredible camera and a lot of people are going to buy it.

I work primarily in video, for most of the work I do Autofocus isn't important so frankly I still absolutely love using my GH5 and even my GH4. These handle long conversations and things amazing and I still have the 150Mbps 10 bit codec if I need to run for like 2 hours at a time.

I sold my EOS R, which I got to be a stills camera with decent video functions when I needed it, to get the R5 because it's going to do exactly what I need it to. It's going to be a stellar professional stills camera with some really useful video functions I will use often and enjoy having at my disposal.
I have some solid EF glass that I still love, such as the 70-200mm f2.8L IS II and use it regularly on my GH4 and GH5 and while I started photo and video back in the day on the 7DMKI, which I still have, I have always enjoyed Canon cameras for stills and often have rented them or used them for work. So the R5 is a no brainer for a camera that should last me many years, be capable of decent video projects, and handle 90% of my stills work I need.
If I'm shooting for someone on a set, we often will rent a C200, Ursa Mini 4.6K, or similar. I also really enjoy the EVA-1 and S1H for dedicated video cameras.
I just don't know who these people are and what they actually do when they keep focusing on just this 8K and 4K/120 spec... It's already so annoying to read.

This was long-winded, I apologize. haha

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

SteveC

R5
CR Pro
Sep 3, 2019
The simple solution is more than one body, and a chiller for the one that's cooling down. Like swapping out batteries instead of shutting down waiting for your only battery to recharge. Even a little forced air tent, powered by a camera battery, would reduce recovery time.

Would it be useful or dangerous to pop the camera into a container with some dry ice?

Upvote 0
Feb 13, 2018
On a film set there are a lot of things that a non-dedicated video camera lack that people require, set depending.
Timecode sync, I/O for SDI XLR, etc. What I'm trying to get at is that proper film sets aren't going to roll up with a Canon R5 and no other cameras and use it as an A cam. Key here is proper film sets.

As for the R5 vs the A7SIII, they aren't even trying to compete in the same class. The R5 is a killer hybrid stills and video camera where the A7SIII is a video camera that has stills capability. With all the people complaining about the R6 only having 20MP, why are people even throwing the A7SIII into R5 conversation? You know? These are different tools with different focuses.
The A7SIII is going to be a wonderful and incredible camera and a lot of people are going to buy it.

I work primarily in video, for most of the work I do Autofocus isn't important so frankly I still absolutely love using my GH5 and even my GH4. These handle long conversations and things amazing and I still have the 150Mbps 10 bit codec if I need to run for like 2 hours at a time.

I sold my EOS R, which I got to be a stills camera with decent video functions when I needed it, to get the R5 because it's going to do exactly what I need it to. It's going to be a stellar professional stills camera with some really useful video functions I will use often and enjoy having at my disposal.
I have some solid EF glass that I still love, such as the 70-200mm f2.8L IS II and use it regularly on my GH4 and GH5 and while I started photo and video back in the day on the 7DMKI, which I still have, I have always enjoyed Canon cameras for stills and often have rented them or used them for work. So the R5 is a no brainer for a camera that should last me many years, be capable of decent video projects, and handle 90% of my stills work I need.
If I'm shooting for someone on a set, we often will rent a C200, Ursa Mini 4.6K, or similar. I also really enjoy the EVA-1 and S1H for dedicated video cameras.
I just don't know who these people are and what they actually do when they keep focusing on just this 8K and 4K/120 spec... It's already so annoying to read.

This was long-winded, I apologize. haha

Thanks. Agreed, nobody should really think that this is an A cam for Hollywood or 8K television.
However this gets very interesting IF the add a fan in a C-line body - decent competition for RED...

Upvote 0
Honestly, as someone who posts here a lot, I have no problem calling a spade a spade - if the camera overheats, it overheats. Let's discuss it. However, as it stands, there's no evidence that this happens often in use, given that no one has had extensive time to shoot with the camera at all, and it won't even be available for several weeks.

Let's talk about overheating once there's something to talk about, you know?
Although I am not likely to use 8K video underwater (4k60 maybe), I wonder about the heating issue when in an underwater housing that is a partial vacuum (I generally pump out to .23bar (7" Hg) pressure. The water is generally coldish but with no thermal air to conduct... Will be interesting to try. Even if we get to that thermal point, can we still use it for stills?

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I’m not portraying anything. I was speakiing to the spectacle of Canon’s treasured new camera depicted as going up in flames in dozens of YouTube videos. If you think that’s helpful to Canon’s interests I don’t know what else to say. Find another straw man

Canon can’t prevent stupid.

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

korbar

Preordering Fool?
Jul 7, 2020
I'm not a video shooter, but I am slightly curious as to why 8K RAW is only internal. Is it a hardware limitation of the implemented HDMI protocol or perhaps a limitation imposed to protect cinema camera lines? Does external recording mitigate heat generation in the body?

As far as I know, through HDMI, you can't currently run an 8K signal. I think the next generation of HDMI should, but currently displays typically run multiple cables to achieve 8K, AFAIK.

Thanks. Agreed, nobody should really think that this is an A cam for Hollywood or 8K television.
However this gets very interesting IF the add a fan in a C-line body - decent competition for RED...

Yeah, definitely. I'd love to see an eventual C200MKII with some of this technology sorted out more. I'd buy that camera so fast.

Upvote 0
Yeah, I see a 2TB as well, but I don't trust anything but SanDisk. I don't see anything over 512 from them at B&H.
We still don't have a list of qualified CFexpress cards for the R5 yet. From the 1DXiii list... only the 512GB Sandisk is qualified.

Attachments

• Canon 1DXiii CFexpress cards - qualified.png
    Canon 1DXiii CFexpress cards - qualified.png
    171.3 KB · Views: 90
Upvote 0
The prospect of having to buy a new computer is what is holding me back from the R5!
I did budget for a new PC as well but the R5 price has stretched that budget so I am pushing out the new Mac a bit. It will be interesting to see if the next macbook pro 16" will be Intel for the last time or move to ARM. ARM appears to have much better speed tests... even in x86 emulation mode.

Upvote 0
Feb 13, 2018
I'm not a video shooter, but I am slightly curious as to why 8K RAW is only internal. Is it a hardware limitation of the implemented HDMI protocol or perhaps a limitation imposed to protect cinema camera lines? Does external recording mitigate heat generation in the body?
Do we know the HDMI out spec, yet?
HDMI 2.1 is capable of 8K streams. If the thermal limit is the encoding then a external recorder can help. However, if it is a thermal limit of the sensor, e.g. ADC, then little can be done.

Upvote 0