Preorder: Canon EOS R5, Canon EOS R6 and new lenses

The R/RF gear seems fantastic in many ways, by from my point of view as a hobbyist, Canon is pricing itself out of the game. For example, R6 is about A$4400, RF 24-70 f/2.8L IS is about A$3650 and RF 70-200 f/2.8L IS is about A$4000, so that would be a A$12,050 setup. For comparison, Sony A7 III is about A$2950, Sigma 24-70 f.2.8 Art (for Sony) and Tamron 70-180 f/2.8 are about A$2150 each, so that would be a A$7250 setup. I would rather have the Canon gear (and yes, I realise the Canon lenses have IS which the lenses for the Sony don't, and that it is looking like Canon's IBIS is better than Sony's IBIS - and yes, I know you can adapt EF glass to the R system cameras), and in particular I would much rather have the ergonomics of the Canon R system bodies, but that price difference is too big for me to simply ignore. If I was keen to go mirrorless at this point, I think I would have to look hard at the Sony, as much as I wouldn't really want to. I am not in a rush to go mirrorless anyway, so it's a moot point for me at the moment, but still, Canon's pricing is certainly reducing my enthusiasm.

That's just me, of course. I'm sure Canon has done its market research and has good reason to believe the market will bear the prices its charging, so good luck to them. I suspect Canon will do well, as the gear does seem to be excellent.

PS - those prices are just from a quick online search. It may be possible to do better if you shop around. And I have ignored grey market import prices for now.
I’m very lucky to make money from photography and video but from a hobbyists perspective the barriers to entry into photography are extremely high. The cost of cameras, lenses, memory cards, tripods, filters, bags and flashguns is getting higher and higher and the Canon R/RF system is living proof as £4K for a camera body in totally crazy. When I compare now to when I started photography as a hobby in the early 80’s and getting set up as a young boy was relatively affordable. An R6 is not the sort of thing most 10 year olds parents would dream of getting their son/daughter for Christmas.

Technology, miniaturisation and R&D costs a lots of money and today’s cameras are a far cry from my simple Olympus OM10 with its button cell battery and manual film wind but it’s no wonder the camera market is shrinking at such a rapid rate when you consider we get a great stills (and video) camera for FREE with our mobile phones.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

russb

EOS R
CR Pro
Sep 18, 2019
The R/RF gear seems fantastic in many ways, by from my point of view as a hobbyist, Canon is pricing itself out of the game. For example, R6 is about A$4400, RF 24-70 f/2.8L IS is about A$3650 and RF 70-200 f/2.8L IS is about A$4000, so that would be a A$12,050 setup. For comparison, Sony A7 III is about A$2950, Sigma 24-70 f.2.8 Art (for Sony) and Tamron 70-180 f/2.8 are about A$2150 each, so that would be a A$7250 setup. I would rather have the Canon gear (and yes, I realise the Canon lenses have IS which the lenses for the Sony don't, and that it is looking like Canon's IBIS is better than Sony's IBIS - and yes, I know you can adapt EF glass to the R system cameras), and in particular I would much rather have the ergonomics of the Canon R system bodies, but that price difference is too big for me to simply ignore. If I was keen to go mirrorless at this point, I think I would have to look hard at the Sony, as much as I wouldn't really want to. I am not in a rush to go mirrorless anyway, so it's a moot point for me at the moment, but still, Canon's pricing is certainly reducing my enthusiasm.

That's just me, of course. I'm sure Canon has done its market research and has good reason to believe the market will bear the prices its charging, so good luck to them. I suspect Canon will do well, as the gear does seem to be excellent.

PS - those prices are just from a quick online search. It may be possible to do better if you shop around. And I have ignored grey market import prices for now.

The Canon RP is available for $1000-$1100 US. Capable, full-frame, RF camera. With the EF-RF adapter, there are many inexpensive options for lenses. I use the sigma 14-24/2.8, with filter adapter, and it's brilliant. You might want to search more.

Reactions: 4 users
Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011
I’m very lucky to make money from photography and video but from a hobbyists perspective the barriers to entry into photography are extremely high. The cost of cameras, lenses, memory cards, tripods, filters, bags and flashguns is getting higher and higher and the Canon R/RF system is living proof as £4K for a camera body in totally crazy. When I compare now to when I started photography as a hobby in the early 80’s and getting set up as a young boy was relatively affordable. An R6 is not the sort of thing most 10 year olds parents would dream of getting their son/daughter for Christmas.

Technology, miniaturisation and R&D costs a lots of money and today’s cameras are a far cry from my simple Olympus OM10 with its button cell battery and manual film wind but it’s no wonder the camera market is shrinking at such a rapid rate when you consider we get a great stills (and video) camera for FREE with our mobile phones.
Depends how you look at it really. Personally I think there are amazing bargains for people interested in actually taking compelling high quality images rather than people that buy in to the gotta’ have the newest, bestest, influencer driven toy. You can get a brand new 5DSr for under $1,400, kuhhji, used lenses offer similar bargains.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
So Wrong.

8K overheats at 20 mins - Capacity up to 1hr 12mins w/256GB card
4K overheats at 30-35 mins - Capacity up to 2hr 27 mins w/256 GB card

Those overheating times are at 73F/23C with best case scenarios
Good luck in the summer time (for me, that is all year long)
Good luck on your next tropical vacation
Good luck after it overheats and you need to wait 10-20 minutes just to have the limit reduced down to only 3-10 minutes (at MOST).

The era where Canon says that they won't put out camera that is unreliable is over. If you can't beat Sony, join them.

Stop spreading the world's thinnest BS so thickly.

Real-world experience with 8K and 4K/120 in warm weather:

Reactions: 4 users
Upvote 0
I don't shoot long clips. Ever. If I did I'd buy a camera made for that. It rarely breaks 73 degrees up here, but it wouldn't matter.

I didn't tell you to do anything.

You said " If you can't beat Sony, join them." I said go ahead if that's what suits you.

Sorry, got a little excited there. By joining Sony, I meant Canon joining Sony by doing the same thing.

I'm just trying to get the point across that I think we should be considering that this known heating issue, observed in a particular condition - a condition that we may never be in, could also be a problem in another condition not yet observed. In this case, we know that recording for 4K 30mins at 73F can cause it to shutdown. But you only do short clips. But maybe doing too may short clips in a period of time might also cause overheating?

I just want you guys to be aware and think a little more into the overheating issue and if it's the right camera for you.

I will likely get the R6, because I am fine shooting in 1080. Would have bout the R when it came out but had no IBIS - that's way more important than having more resolution that 1080. But would be nice to play with 4k cropping ( I like to video surfers, music concerts...)

OK, I'll shut up about this heating issue.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
It is predictable as the camera seems to state exactly how much shooting time is left.
Try again.
It's only predictable at 73F.
They have the non-raw rates too, quick calculation:
680Mb/s on 512GB = ~1h40 mins
1300Mb/s on 512GB = ~50 mins

So he's not completely wrong, he was just claiming the non-raw bitrates.

As i said, I got the numbers from the canon webpage. I even posted the link. Here is the link again (I clicked on the one I posted and for me it was a dead link, but when I copy/paste in the address box it takes you there). You can also go to the Canon product page and when you find the camera, click "Specifications" then "View Full Specifications" and then go to page 12: R6 Specs (OK, I see I need to use the Link feature to paste in the link, instead of pasting the link straight in as a post)

So I "tried "showing you again. No need for you guys in calling me names ("troll"). Just trying to help, but I won't anymore.

Upvote 0
Stop spreading the world's thinnest BS so thickly.

Real-world experience with 8K and 4K/120 in warm weather:

I'm not going to write about the issue anymore, not because of you, but because I've already decided not to even before reading this.
This is the last reply directed to me about it, and I will not reply about this anymore.
I'd like to leave a comment about the B&H video, but I'll bite my tongue.

Upvote 0
I'm not going to write about the issue anymore, not because of you, but because I've already decided not to even before reading this.
This is the last reply directed to me about it, and I will not reply about this anymore.

That's cool. Reply. Don't reply. Whatever. I understand wanting to inform people about a potential issue, but once you start posting things like "well, good luck with XYZ", it makes it seem like you lost your objectivity.

I'm sure there will be people that run into getting the warning or close to it. But given that the limit of 20 minutes of 8K will completely fill the largest available 512 CFexpress card anyway, it kind of seems like a moot point.

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0

StevenA

CR Pro
Jul 8, 2020

That's cool. Reply. Don't reply. Whatever. I understand wanting to inform people about a potential issue, but once you start posting things like "well, good luck with XYZ", it makes it seem like you lost your objectivity.

I'm sure there will be people that run into getting the warning or close to it. But given that the limit of 20 minutes of 8K will completely fill the largest available 512 CFexpress card anyway, it kind of seems like a moot point.

^This was my original point, though I was more long-winded in making it. Bottom line from my point of view is that while the heating issue *may* be a problem for some from time to time, I can't see it as an issue for the majority of people. And if some people are experiencing it on a consistent basis then maybe they made the wrong purchase and should have bought a cinema camera instead.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
Just an idle thought here, Canon must have a pretty good idea of what the RF BWL's are gonna look like to release the TC's now. Presumably these TC's are designed to be fully compatible with these future lenses...

I hope so. I would love to see an RF 200 f/2 and 300 2.8 sooner rather than later. Not impressed with how the RF TCs are supposed to work with the 100-500 at all (limited to retracting it to 300mm with the TCs attached).

Upvote 0

StevenA

CR Pro
Jul 8, 2020
I hope so. I would love to see an RF 200 f/2 and 300 2.8 sooner rather than later. Not impressed with how the RF TCs are supposed to work with the 100-500 at all (limited to retracting it to 300mm with the TCs attached).

Yup. I was gonna spring for a 2x TC until I saw the price. Then when I saw the limitations with the 100-500 (which I DID buy) I was happy I didn't.

Upvote 0

jd7

CR Pro
Feb 3, 2013
The Canon RP is available for $1000-$1100 US. Capable, full-frame, RF camera. With the EF-RF adapter, there are many inexpensive options for lenses. I use the sigma 14-24/2.8, with filter adapter, and it's brilliant. You might want to search more.
The RP is about A$1900 and its claim to fame is being a small and light full-frame camera. Unsurprisingly, Canon had to make compromises to make a small and light camera. As a camera for general use, I'd choose a 6D II (which is about the same price) over the RP without a second thought. They use the same sensor and the 6D II has higher FPS, etc, which I would prefer, not to mention the 6D II has much better battery life and an OVF (which I would much prefer over an EVF - although I look forward getting a chance to test the EVF in an R6 or R5 one day to see what I think). The way I see it, the only thing the RP would do is let me use RF lenses, which brings me back to them prices Canon is charging for them.

As for using an R system camera and EF lenses, yes that's an option, but a big part of the attraction in the R system is the RF lenses. For example, the idea of a 70-200 2.8 which is much smaller and lighter than my EF 70-200 is very appealing to me. But if I have a Sony body I can get the Tamron 70-180 2.8 (which I mentioned in an earlier post) for A$2150, while the Canon EF version doesn't give me the smaller size and lesser weight, and Canon RF 70-200 2.8 is $4000. A Canon EF 24-70 2.8 II is still A$2700, while the Sigma 24-70 2.8 Art for Sony is A$2150. Yes, I'd prefer the Canon gear (particulary and RF 70-200 2.8L IS) but the price difference is hard to ignore, especially given the great reviews those Sigma and Tamron lenses get. So, if I get an R system camera but stick with EF lenses, what I have got? Not much really (OK, sensor in the EOS R would be nice compared with my 6D II sensor) unless I go to an R5 or R6, but even the R6 is A$4400 and that becomes A$4700 if I add the control ring adapter, and the main things I'd get with an R6 are the mirrorless AF system (seems strange to be saying that - look how far mirrorless AF has come!), IBIS and a newer sensor (I'm not interested in video), at the cost of battery life, having to use an EVF (which I suspect I will still see as a negative, but of course I haven't tried out an R5 or R6 EVF yet so I will have to wait and see what I think), and even a bit of resolution (probably not critical but I'd prefer not lose it - I do like large prints). That's a significant amount of money to me, and I'm not sure the advantages of the R6 (nice as they may be) would really make that much difference to my photography. Then when you take into account that if I wanted to go mirrorless, I could get an A7 III (which may not be as good as the R6 but would give me at least some of what the R6 would give me) plus the Sigma 24-70 2.8 Art and Tamron 70-180 2.8 for about A$7250 all up, spending A$4700 on an R6 plus control ring adapter to keep using my existing lenses seems even harder to swallow. (The difference between A$4700 and A$7250 would be ameliorated by selling my existing comparable gear.)

So, the short point is I am aware of the RP, and the fact it is there doesn't change my opinion form what I said in my earlier post.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

navastronia

R6 x2 (work) + 5D Classic (fun)
Aug 31, 2018
Sorry, got a little excited there. By joining Sony, I meant Canon joining Sony by doing the same thing.

I'm just trying to get the point across that I think we should be considering that this known heating issue, observed in a particular condition - a condition that we may never be in, could also be a problem in another condition not yet observed. In this case, we know that recording for 4K 30mins at 73F can cause it to shutdown. But you only do short clips. But maybe doing too may short clips in a period of time might also cause overheating?

I just want you guys to be aware and think a little more into the overheating issue and if it's the right camera for you.

I will likely get the R6, because I am fine shooting in 1080. Would have bout the R when it came out but had no IBIS - that's way more important than having more resolution that 1080. But would be nice to play with 4k cropping ( I like to video surfers, music concerts...)

OK, I'll shut up about this heating issue.

Honestly, as someone who posts here a lot, I have no problem calling a spade a spade - if the camera overheats, it overheats. Let's discuss it. However, as it stands, there's no evidence that this happens often in use, given that no one has had extensive time to shoot with the camera at all, and it won't even be available for several weeks.

Let's talk about overheating once there's something to talk about, you know?

Upvote 0

CvH

CR Pro
Nov 19, 2014
Avoiding the off-topic discussions! :)
We get 5 year local Canon warranty but the 100-500mm is too expensive. 10% more than the current RF70-200mm and the RF TC is 50% more expensive than its EF counterpart. I will cancel my pre-order for it. Disappointed as since I can't use TCs with my RF70-200mm (as I did for EF 70-200mm), I don't now have a reasonably priced option for longer reach... except to go back to EF100-400mm mk 2. Not a bad option especially if there are some good second hand copies handed down from people moving to the RF tele lenses.

Is there a website/document that specifies which CFexpress cards are qualified? Australian resellers are bundling a 64gb USH-I SD card (useless!?!) card but no RF-EF adaptor or CFexpress.

I think preorder is not doing well in Australia. Some local retailers are offering AUD$6500.

I will wait for the price drops below AUD$6000 for the R5.

I was also planning to get the RF extender and replace my EF100-400 II with the RF100-500. I have decided to keep the 100-400 as the RF100-500 is ridiculously expensive. I also won't get the RF extender.

Upvote 0
I’m very lucky to make money from photography and video but from a hobbyists perspective the barriers to entry into photography are extremely high. The cost of cameras, lenses, memory cards, tripods, filters, bags and flashguns is getting higher and higher

Same here, I've been making some random money from photography but I can't even think of going photography full time. Otherwise I'd be barely covering the photo gear expenses, and what about the family? :)

But we're talking about the high end photo gear here. I've never been into fishing, but spoken to a guy who spends thousands on the fancy high end fishing gear. If you include a boat, the expenses on the fishing hobby may go to infinity.

Upvote 0