Preorder: Canon EOS R5, Canon EOS R6 and new lenses

koenkooi

CR Pro
Feb 25, 2015
The Netherlands
I believe that this is the link the original poster was referring to (last name was missing the "s":

That suspiciously looks like Wim took the RP article and replaced 'RP' with 'R5', the images are even named "Canon-EOS-RP-menu-manual-17.jpg"!
The other clues are the movie resolution list and the high speed display setting "with the 5fps the R5 shoots with in High Speed Continious".

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
My point is they wouldn’t need to throw in incentives such as the jacket if the RRP is inline within the price point of the 5D line.
Pre-order cash up front sight-unseen is the general reason for pre-order freebies. I just wish that they were useful (spare battery, EF:RF adapter) rather than AUD162 R5 straps to pad out "value". The straps probably cost $5 to make and you get a R5 strap in the box anyway if you really want to advertise carrying an expensive, hard-to-get, small camera :-(

Upvote 0
Yes I am in Melbourne. I have been using the BlackRapid strap and hands traps from SpiderPro. I also have the Peakdesign Capture.

I believe the RRP in Australia is too high hence preorders are lower than what Canon Australia have predicted. Hence the local retailers are dropping the RRP.
I have tried straps and never really liked them. I can hand carry a 5Div with 70-200 f2/8 without many issues. Haven't dropped one yet :)
The only time I really needed one was a workshop outside of Sydney Tower which was mandatory to strap the camera into the harness.

Canon Australia's website has always been a bit higher than the resellers. They don't want to compete directly with them. Canon Australia does give some coupons/special pricing from the experience store I believe or via Canon Collective events.

Upvote 0
Customer - "I'm just not sure I want to spend 6K on a new Camera"

Sales Person - "It comes with a free jacket if you order now!!"

Customer - "How can I resist"

You really think anyone gives a rats ass about a jacket? Every year I get my "free" CPS stuff and it just collects dust, ok I use the pen. No way a free jacket is driving sales...

The Aussies are getting a Limited Edition EOS R5 Leather Lucky Strap (Bonus) and Extra Battery. I wish they offered the extra battery here in Canada, that will be useful, but would not factor into if I buy something or not.

Free Jacket, Free Battery, etc are not why people drop 6K on a Camera (least it should not be)
Don't forget the 64GB UHS-I SD card as well! Resellers are trying to differentiate themselves a bit. The strap/battery from Canon is to help absorb the sticker shock. The 5 year warranty is definitely a local bonus of course. The resellers have had 30% store wide discounts in the past. I will just need to wait for the next one to get another RF lens

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

Besisika

How can you stand out, if you do like evrybdy else
Mar 25, 2014
Montreal
There are a few reasons to do this, depending on the type of photography you are doing. I use this feature in wildlife photography where I am reach-limited. If I know that I will be cropping to APSC or smaller in post anyway, then some advantages of using the crop mode in camera include :
- the image is magnified in the EVF, which makes it easier to see the subject, and increases confidence that accurate focus has been achieved. It can also be nice to see more accurately what the final composition will look like.
- cropped images take up less space, so more images fit on the same card. When shooting in large bursts, you may be able to take more images before the buffer fills (more of an issue for SD than CFExpress)
- the image that I upload to my computer is smaller. This means that I am not storing a bunch of pixels that I don't need anyway, and makes post-processing faster as the images load faster and I am not spending as much time cropping in post.

Having a high megapixel camera with the ability to crop is great as it is kind of like carrying around both a full frame and APSC camera in one. But all those megapixels add up and need to be stored somewhere. If you are 100% confident that you won't need them later, sometimes it makes sense to skip capturing then in the first place.

Additional note: I find it is helpful to add a shortcut to change this feature quickly. Sometimes your subject might come closer suddenly and then they may no longer fit nicely in the cropped frame.
Great. Thanks,

Upvote 0
At Camera Pro where I pre-ordered it, they also have a bonus EF-RF adapter.
These little addons may work as a last straw for some potential buyers, they create an illusion of a greater value than they really are :)
I can see camerapro has the adapter thrown in... are they also including the spare battery for you? I have 3 LP-E6 spares so I don't really need a LP-E6NH battery at the moment
I may just cancel/refund Digidirect as they are $40 more expensive and I need the adapter anyway

Upvote 0

Starting out EOS R

EOS R5 - RF24-105mm F4L, RF70-200mm f2.8L
Feb 13, 2020
I wouldn't say a 5D or R5 were for the majority of the market either. I was talking professional cameras. So yes, the 1D would have been the obvious comparison point. Even the Eos 3 was 1500. The 5D mk2 was 2899 at launch in 2010. The 5D3 was 3400. The market has borne this price for over a decade. And canon glass has always been expensive.
Haha, so none of them were £4k and the 5d3 certainly wasn't around then. To be honest, pricing is a very subjective thing as there are so many variables to consider like exchange rates, inflation, shareholder voting etc etc. I will admit that the price of the 5D series has been quite static for a number of years, despite all these factors which goes against most market conditions. At some point any company is going to have to break from that and re assess costs and market conditions. This is probably that time for Canon setting a new benchmark price for things.

Upvote 0
I ordered my R5 with Canon BG-R10 Battery Grip,Canon Control Ring Mount Adapter EF-EOS R , and Canon LP-E6NH Lithium-Ion Battery . With that said, i need to humbly ask a stupid question, and I hope people can help. I have been trying to figure out which SD card to buy. I know to look for a Compatible with UHS-II V60 or V90 for video. There are a number of designations (sdxc, SDXC2, XQD, ETC.), plus many manufacturers. Since this is a higher MP camera that I will likely use for some video, these decisions are new for me.
Thanks all.

Scott
There is a wide range of UHS-II SD cards available. Sandisk specify 300mb/s (UHS-I is only 170mb/s).
A much smaller range of CFexpress cards and Canon (to my knowledge) han't released qualified CFe cards for the minimum speed needed. Only the 1DXiii has a list and the R5 write speed should be similar to 5.5k/60
I have posted this before and happy to update if someone has new information/spec sheets

The Canon Website indicates that for RAW movie 5.5k60p Recording four CFExpress Cards are supported:
ProGrade Cobalt 325GB;
SanDisk Extreme Pro 512GB; and
Lexar 256 and 128 GB cards.

progradedigital.com/products/cfexpress/
Max speed, size, avg speed
600MB/s Gold 120GB => Avg 145MB/s
1000MB/s Gold 256GB => 350MB/s
1000MB/s Gold 512GB-1T => 500MB/s
1400MB/s Cobalt 325GB => 1300MB/s
The avg to max speed difference is huge from 25% to 50% for gold but cobalt is pretty close to max.

Sandisk write speeds with no mention of sustained/average speed! link is:
https://shop.westerndigital.com/pro...extreme-pro-cfexpress-type-b#SDCFE-064G-ANCIN
64GB 800 MB/s
128/256GB 1200 MB/s
521GB 1400 MB/s

Lexar. I can't find a datasheet for them... only 64GB — 512GB Up to 1750MB/s read, up to 1000MB/s write.
If Lexar 128/256GB cards are okay for the 1DXiii (assumed) 1000MB/s then why aren't the Sandisk 128/256GB included?

Sony tough
128/256GB up to 1480MB/s

Upvote 0

Starting out EOS R

EOS R5 - RF24-105mm F4L, RF70-200mm f2.8L
Feb 13, 2020
Like wearing a camera on a cross body strap doesn't scream "Photographer with expensive camera(s)?"
Haha, you're probably right but having spent years with the camera on my shoulder, constantly pushing it back on, I got fed up and decided that comfort was more important.

Most of the time when I do carry it cross body the camera is behind me so cant even be seen from the front and the strap isn't obviously a camera strap so hopefully not that obvious. I'd rather be understated but not sure what other practical options are out there?

Upvote 0
I referred to the Australian market. the RRP is A$1000 higher than USA and that includes exchange rate and tax.

Some local stores already dropped more than A$500 on their websites.

The incentive include free battery, limited strap (who care). I think some local stores also include a Sandisk Extreme Prod SDXC 64GB card.
Check if it is a UHS-I or UHS-II card. The UHS-I card is ~AUD57. The 128GB UHS-II Sandisk card from Digidirect is AUD385
https://www.digidirect.com.au/sandisk-128gb-extreme-pro-sdxc-300mb-s-uhs-ii-memory-card
but MSY have it for $289!
https://www.msy.com.au/sandisk-extr...gn4in-sdxc-sdxpk-128gb-u3-c10-uhs-ii-300mbs-r
I've asked them to start stocking CFe cards :)

Upvote 0
There are a few reasons to do this, depending on the type of photography you are doing. I use this feature in wildlife photography where I am reach-limited. If I know that I will be cropping to APSC or smaller in post anyway, then some advantages of using the crop mode in camera include :
- the image is magnified in the EVF, which makes it easier to see the subject, and increases confidence that accurate focus has been achieved. It can also be nice to see more accurately what the final composition will look like.
- cropped images take up less space, so more images fit on the same card. When shooting in large bursts, you may be able to take more images before the buffer fills (more of an issue for SD than CFExpress)
- the image that I upload to my computer is smaller. This means that I am not storing a bunch of pixels that I don't need anyway, and makes post-processing faster as the images load faster and I am not spending as much time cropping in post.

Having a high megapixel camera with the ability to crop is great as it is kind of like carrying around both a full frame and APSC camera in one. But all those megapixels add up and need to be stored somewhere. If you are 100% confident that you won't need them later, sometimes it makes sense to skip capturing then in the first place.

Additional note: I find it is helpful to add a shortcut to change this feature quickly. Sometimes your subject might come closer suddenly and then they may no longer fit nicely in the cropped frame.
CRAW is another alternative for smaller files for card/PC space. From the web research I have done, there is only a small difference in quality

Upvote 0

CvH

CR Pro
Nov 19, 2014
Pre-order cash up front sight-unseen is the general reason for pre-order freebies. I just wish that they were useful (spare battery, EF:RF adapter) rather than AUD162 R5 straps to pad out "value". The straps probably cost $5 to make and you get a R5 strap in the box anyway if you really want to advertise carrying an expensive, hard-to-get, small camera :-(

I think some stores offer free battery and a 64GB SD card with the preorder. I believe it’s a limited edition leather strap although I wonder how many will actually use it?

Upvote 0
I can see camerapro has the adapter thrown in... are they also including the spare battery for you?

Yep in my preorder there's the camera itself, the adapter, the battery and the strap. Right now I guess they ran out of limited edition straps and batteries and there's only the adapter. The offer with the battery and straps has gone.

I wonder if there's a mix-up and whether I actually get all these goodies. I specifically confirmed it via email on Friday but you never know...

Upvote 0

CvH

CR Pro
Nov 19, 2014
Haha, you're probably right but having spent years with the camera on my shoulder, constantly pushing it back on, I got fed up and decided that comfort was more important.

Most of the time when I do carry it cross body the camera is behind me so cant even be seen from the front and the strap isn't obviously a camera strap so hopefully not that obvious. I'd rather be understated but not sure what other practical options are out there?

I have the Spider Pro hand strap on both of my cameras. I only attach the camera to the Black Rapid strap when I was out about and need my hands free.

Wearing a strap across the body has nothing to do with having an expensive or entry level camera. Most people wouldn’t heard of Black Rapid unless they are into photography. But having a strap with Canon/Nikon/Sony certainly attract more unwanted attentions from those who are into no good.

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

CvH

CR Pro
Nov 19, 2014
Don't forget the 64GB UHS-I SD card as well! Resellers are trying to differentiate themselves a bit. The strap/battery from Canon is to help absorb the sticker shock. The 5 year warranty is definitely a local bonus of course. The resellers have had 30% store wide discounts in the past. I will just need to wait for the next one to get another RF lens

When was the last time and which stores had store wide 30% discounts? I know 10% or 15% discounts from some local stores from time to time.

Upvote 0
Aug 26, 2015
Yes, it is UHS-I which I think is useless for the R5 and R6.
Check out the full specs before posting such (useless) comment.
It's really not useless, especially for the R6.
Of course it is always best to have the fastest and have everything unlocked and the best performance for burst shooting.

But for those who don't need it, might as well save up some money, it is not a small difference in price.

Upvote 0
Sep 1, 2016
Haha, so none of them were £4k and the 5d3 certainly wasn't around then. To be honest, pricing is a very subjective thing as there are so many variables to consider like exchange rates, inflation, shareholder voting etc etc. I will admit that the price of the 5D series has been quite static for a number of years, despite all these factors which goes against most market conditions. At some point any company is going to have to break from that and re assess costs and market conditions. This is probably that time for Canon setting a new benchmark price for things.

Yes. By extrapolating the very extreme of the original range (3-4k, 15-20 years) you managed to "win" on a technicality, on the internet. Congratulations. Of course, you then conceded the entire original point - that high end camera pricing has remained static for years, and therefore that the smartphone argument (the initial point) wasn't a value detractor from their sales. But who cares, because you got to construct an angle out of a conversation you weren't a part of to win a point on the internet. You go, girl!

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

vjlex

EOS R5
Oct 15, 2011
Osaka, Japan
In Lightroom, there's the map that shows locations where I shot my images, which is extremely useful when looking up images by locations, and also find locations by images.
Also useful when posting to social media, although I don't like to always include the exact locations of my images.

The above applies to landscape photography mostly.

I'm hoping the R5 will be able to get GPS from phone through bluetooth, but couldn't find any mention of that anywhere. Even if it works through BT, it's far from ideal.
Don't know if you saw this in the other thread, but I posted a screencap of a video with the GPS Settings option in the R5 menu. So there's some sort of GPS feature there, but probably bluetooth instead of in-body. You can see my post here.

Upvote 0