Preorder: Canon EOS R5, Canon EOS R6 and new lenses

It's a smaller market, it's further from Japan, and your consumer laws require much longer warranties. Someone has to pay for all of those repairs done under warranty that would have been paid for by the owner in the U.S.
Where did that theory come from? Canon's standard warranty period in the UK is 12 months.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Can we just let that go finally? It has been discussed to death. It is a different market, different customers, different regulations and so on. In the EU, customers are protected by stronger regulations, which is one of many things that go into pricing.
No we cannot. I really don't know how Canon justify a higher price in Europe than in the USA, but in my opinion the R5 is not worth £4,200 (body only) so I will not be buying one.
The same thing happened when the 5D mk 4 was released, but after 12 months the price had reduced sufficiently to bring it in line with the US. Setting a higher launch price in Europe than in the USA seems to be Canon policy and it cannot be explained by the addition of VAT, longer warranties or any of the other theories that have been put forward.

Upvote 0

koenkooi

CR Pro
Feb 25, 2015
The Netherlands
Upvote 0

Joules

doom
CR Pro
Jul 16, 2017
Hamburg, Germany
No we cannot. [...] it cannot be explained by the addition of VAT, longer warranties or any of the other theories that have been put forward.
Well, since you seem to be unconvinced by the explanations that have been suggested in the endless discussions that already exist on the subject, we should let it go anyway.

If you are unsatisfied with the pricing, maybe try and get some insights from Canon directly. Or at least give them feedback on the issue you see. The forum here has a number of reoccurring topics that usually don't uncover anything new upon resurfacing. So they are worth being let go. Canon are the only one who can really give some insights into or change their pricing.

Upvote 0

Michael Clark

Now we see through a glass, darkly...
Apr 5, 2016
Where did that theory come from? Canon's standard warranty period in the UK is 12 months.

Was that also the case when the UK was part of the EU? I thought the minimum warranty allowed there was two years? The consumer protection laws are certainly stricter that force them to cover things they don't cover in the U.S.. Don't they also require allowing new purchases to be returned for longer periods than in the U.S.?

Upvote 0
No we cannot. I really don't know how Canon justify a higher price in Europe than in the USA, but in my opinion the R5 is not worth £4,200 (body only) so I will not be buying one.
The same thing happened when the 5D mk 4 was released, but after 12 months the price had reduced sufficiently to bring it in line with the US. Setting a higher launch price in Europe than in the USA seems to be Canon policy and it cannot be explained by the addition of VAT, longer warranties or any of the other theories that have been put forward.

Sad to hear that I've paid too much for my R5, however the price is the price, I pre ordered my 1DX3 and thought the same about that back then, but like I say the price is the price, the 1DX3 is still 6500.00 from Wex so I'd still be waiting for the price to drop and would have missed out for the last umpteen months of use, sadly no one knew Covid would shock the markets into a zone they have never been so we will never know if that has kept the price high, anyhow my pre order is placed and I shall as per my instructions to Wex wish to never see the invoice total again until the day I return it, or sell it. I do agree however that the price is high, but I guess I just have to trust Canon are giving me value for money, but that's probably subjective, I've tried buying a Porsche before having explained to the sales rep I only want it for the odd trip to the shops so if he could adjust the price accordingly that would be great ;)

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
Nov 1, 2012
Was that also the case when the UK was part of the EU? I thought the minimum warranty allowed there was two years? The consumer protection laws are certainly stricter that force them to cover things they don't cover in the U.S.. Don't they also require allowing new purchases to be returned for longer periods than in the U.S.?

I know in Finland the law is vague, it states "the warranty much be at minimum the expected lifetime of the device", and some people have successfully challenged the companies through the customer advocacy bureau to repair broken device even way past their normal warranty period.

Laws like that sound good on paper, but naturally they are then paid at higher price tag. It's be almost better to give customer option, so instead of 3rd party extra warranties, the manufacturer could say R5 is $3899 with 1 year warranty, or $4200 with 3 year warranty. It'd be transparent and would give everyone choice.

Especially people who like numbers (and gambling) like me, would immediately see that if it's more than 7.692% likely to die between 1-3 year period, it's worth paying the extra (with the example numbers above), and if you feel it's less likely to die than 7.692%, then go with the $3899.

Upvote 0

CvH

CR Pro
Nov 19, 2014

If you are unsatisfied with the pricing, maybe try and get some insights from Canon directly. Or at least give them feedback on the issue you see. The forum here has a number of reoccurring topics that usually don't uncover anything new upon resurfacing. So they are worth being let go. Canon are the only one who can really give some insights into or change their pricing.

It seems Canon Australia have listened to many feedback. The RRP dropped from ~A$7100 to A$6899.

Upvote 0

Michael Clark

Apr 5, 2016

Maybe it can be explained by a higher percentage of Europeans demonstrating time after time after time (each new camera/lens launch) that they are more willing to pay an early adopter premium than the same percentage of Americans?

Last edited:
Upvote 0

briangus

CR Pro
Apr 6, 2017
Bangkok
While the UK is still in the EU, purchases are covered by the 2 year EU requirement: https://europa.eu/youreurope/citizens/consumers/shopping/guarantees-returns/faq/index_en.htm
The UK left the EU on 31/01/2020 but is still in transition phase so EU laws apply to end of year.
After that who knows what will happen.
The Canon EWS warranty is 1 year and covers the UK, it also covers non EU European countries so should still be valid after they leave.

From the same EU Website the Guarantee and Returns for England is 6 years and 5 years for Scotland.

You want 3 years warranty in UK buy from John Lewis

Upvote 0

Michael Clark

Apr 5, 2016
The UK left the EU on 31/01/2020 but is still in transition phase so EU laws apply to end of year.
After that who knows what will happen.
The Canon EWS warranty is 1 year and covers the UK, it also covers non EU European countries so should still be valid after they leave.

From the same EU Website the Guarantee and Returns for England is 6 years and 5 years for Scotland.

You want 3 years warranty in UK buy from John Lewis

In the U.S., there's pretty much nothing to equate to the "Guarantee and Returns" past the one-year warranty period. In fact, unless an issue is due to defects in materials or workmanship, which is what a warranty covers here, there's no such thing at all in the USA. A U.S. warranty only covers specific examples of a product that do not meet the standards a "normal" example of the same product meets. If a product has a defective design, it takes an individual or class action lawsuit to get any relief.

Someone has to pay for Canon's additional risk/expenses in markets where such laws are in effect compared to markets where such laws do not exist.

Upvote 0

CvH

CR Pro
Nov 19, 2014
Or maybe they noticed the Australian Dollar is holding its recovered value since it tanked in early March versus the Japanese Yen...

View attachment 191530

Do you really believe they would adjust the RRP as the exchange rate fluctuated? If that is the case then the RRP for their entire products would have also lower. I didn't check but I don't think the RRP for the R6 and announced RF lenses have changed.

Again, another speculation and it doesn't make sense that they would dropped the RRP 2 Weeks after it was formally released due to exchange rate fluctuations.

Upvote 0

SecureGSM

2 x 5D IV
Feb 26, 2017
Or maybe they noticed the Australian Dollar is holding its recovered value since it tanked in early March versus the Japanese Yen...

View attachment 191530
Nuh.. Michael.. Enterprises conduct business in AU at a fixed USD/AUD conversion rate set internally. i.e.: An Enteprise I worked for, set USD/AUD conversion rate at 0.62. It has not changed for at least 3 years.
They set local RRP based on current and also future projections on USD/AUD and further adjusted for market expectations. interesting though, that AUD is virtually at parity with CAD for quite some time now CAD/AUD=1.05 approx.. however, R5 RRP (Canada): $5399.00 inc GST (10%) and in Australia : $6,899.00 inc GST (10%).... It's a rip off :D

Last edited:
Upvote 0