Preorder: Canon EOS Rebel SL3

espressino

sigh.
Feb 26, 2018
Upvote 0
People who want to do basic video, sure. Videographers? Don't seem so. People that are doing it more regularly are generally going to want a more robust codec than IPB. The camera doesn't appear to offer recording in ALL I

The original point was that Canon wasn't targeting videographers, which I point out their public release shows them marketing it towards videographers.

In terms of specs for videographers using ALL I vs IPB, it depends on which videographers. As a content producer, I choose IPB over ALL I when dealing with a camera that shoots in H.264 with 4:2:0 color space. There's no noticiable difference when color grading on the Canon(except on the C100) or Panasonic H.264 cameras when grading, it only helps slightly when performing motion tracking.

When 4:2:0 8 bit IPB isn't enough, the data rate increase for ALL at 8 bit 4:2:0 I doesn't help enough. That's when it's time to step up to 10 bit or 12 bit at 4:2:2 or above. Usually I jump straight into RAW at closer to a gig per second if 4:2:0 8 bit IPB isn't enough.

Upvote 0
Mar 25, 2011
It hasn't even been released yet, and they are already offering rebates?
Adorama may have given out a link too soon a
...... :unsure: The utterly overwhelming number of people I personally know (and those I constantly see out and about) with $500 entry level DLSR kits from Canon and Nikon, etc... are the Moms who want an upgrade from their iPhones for family pictures and kids doing sports, dance, cheerleading, or whatever. Trust me, I'm a dad with 3 kids ages 13, 11, and 7. I do photography for dance schools. I know about 400-500 dance moms. I know what they have. Canon Rebels and T6s and Nikon D3000s etc... The dad's aren't buying the DSLRs. The Moms are.

I'm not sure what is a "gender slap in the face" to simply acknowledge what Canon surely knows is one of THE core target audiences for them with this camera. They spend a ton on marketing research and they know exactly who is buying their entry level packages. (At least here in the USA)
That is certainly no secret, people wanting a professional camera go to best buy or other big box store and look at DSLR's. They all look professional to them. They buy the lowest price model that looks good to them. I had a SL2 alongside my 5D MK IV. It did very well. When in difficult lighting, then the FF camera was much better, of course, or if a special feature was needed. But, for every day photography and for travel, it went while my big camera stayed home.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

PureClassA

Canon since age 5. The A1
CR Pro
Aug 15, 2014
Mandeville, LA
Shields-Photography.com

That is certainly no secret, people wanting a professional camera go to best buy or other big box store and look at DSLR's. They all look professional to them. They buy the lowest price model that looks good to them. I had a SL2 alongside my 5D MK IV. It did very well. When in difficult lighting, then the FF camera was much better, of course, or if a special feature was needed. But, for every day photography and for travel, it went while my big camera stayed home.

View attachment 183867

I had a T2i as my first DSLR which replaced my Elan 7E and old school A1. There is absolutely nothing wrong with an entry level Rebel. But it’s general Audience (typical buyer) is what it is. It’s not an insult.

Upvote 0

View attachment 183867
Something went wrong when loading the film cartridge... :)

• Haha
Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
The original point was that Canon wasn't targeting videographers, which I point out their public release shows them marketing it towards videographers.

In terms of specs for videographers using ALL I vs IPB, it depends on which videographers. As a content producer, I choose IPB over ALL I when dealing with a camera that shoots in H.264 with 4:2:0 color space. There's no noticiable difference when color grading on the Canon(except on the C100) or Panasonic H.264 cameras when grading, it only helps slightly when performing motion tracking.

When 4:2:0 8 bit IPB isn't enough, the data rate increase for ALL at 8 bit 4:2:0 I doesn't help enough. That's when it's time to step up to 10 bit or 12 bit at 4:2:2 or above. Usually I jump straight into RAW at closer to a gig per second if 4:2:0 8 bit IPB isn't enough.
Budding videographers. Many of whom would think ALL I meant going all-in at a poker table and IPB is just a typo of IPA (mmmmm....beer!).

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

PureClassA

Canon since age 5. The A1
CR Pro
Aug 15, 2014
Mandeville, LA
Shields-Photography.com
IPB vs ALL-I makes little difference in 8bit. Maybe All-I displays motion a bit better
and is easier to edit on than ALL-I. Maybe.

Having said that, the real question is why does Canon keep the Rebel and SL lines?
Seems a bit too close for me. The SL is closer to the "true" successor to the Digital Rebel from way back...

Because at the lowest price tiers (for DSLRs) $150 - $300 makes a big difference to that entry level consumer. SL3 Kit ($650) to T7i kit ($800) to 80D kit ($1150).

Those of us in the $ multi- thousand consumer range won't balk at a couple hundred bucks. That's also why you see the massive percentage gaps between the higher end models like the RP to the R ($1000 difference) and the 6D2 to the 5D4 ($1500ish)

Upvote 0

Out of curiosity, what's your workflow for dealing with IPB? Do you transcode into a different format before editing? I always thought that was the main advantage of ALL-I, that it was immediately fit for editing straight out of camera.

Upvote 0
4K timelapse movie on a "cheap" DSLR... Yeah, there's restrictions and it may not "really" be 4K, but why wasn't this feature available on 5D4? Crop or non-crop, straight up cannot do 4K timelapse unless it's with intervalometer hardware and assembling in post. At that point, shoot 6K+...

It's possible that Canon's ILC department may not have had access to 4k encoders o
Out of curiosity, what's your workflow for dealing with IPB? Do you transcode into a different format before editing? I always thought that was the main advantage of ALL-I, that it was immediately fit for editing straight out of camera.

There's zero issues with cutting IPB footage in Adobe Premiere Pro. It may have been an issue with Final Cut and Avid Media Composer back in the day. It used to be pretty difficult to edit H.264, especially with Avid. But just about any half way decent computer could handle it on Premiere by 2013.

Workflow is typically dump the 4K H.264 footage(sometimes 24 or 60 fps) onto a raid. Dump it into premiere pro and plug away. Sometimes I need to grade it in resolve to deal with mixed lighting. After rough cutting in Premiere, it goes to After Effects to combine with animated typography and any effects.

If your card is fast enough, you can edit off the card when you need an immediate turnaround. This worked even on a i5 laptop from 2014.

The 4k 4:2:0 100 Mbps h.264 and 4k 4:2:0 400 Mbps ALL-I doesn't have much that's different, little bit in motion. Though, there's a world of difference when shooting with ML RAW 1080, the color is significantly better and allows you to work with tough lighting conditions. Work flow is surprisingly smooth, send straight from the card to transcode into either H.264 or Cinema DNG if lots of color grading is needed. 128 GB of footage transcodes and transfers off the card at about twice the time of copying h.264 off.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
What I see from the specs the only stronger advancements are in the video section: Digital IS, Eye focus which are IMO welcome for those who just want to shoot some videos for memory.
For stills: Maybe you have now the chance to select a smaller AF "window", shurely a larger area where to set the AF point (like M50) and some minor feature upgrades.

I bought the 200D ~ 2 years ago and I am happy with that camera except the 9pt AF system which is very rudimentary. IQ is very good with the new sensors and the camera is responsive.
~ 1 year ago I bought the M50 as 2nd body to check out the EVF disadvantages - it took only weeks to understand that the EVF has some disadvantages, mostly limited brightness in bright sunlight but on the other hand it (1) delivers lots of information in a decent way (final image preview, additional information, well visible AF point(s), artificial horizon, etc.) plus (2) - and that's a very good addition - it allows me to use my EF 400/5.6 with converter and AF (!!!). This would work on the 200D too, but using the TFT without tripod is at least awkward with 800mm x 1.6 focal lengths and the weight for a 50+ year old person who needs at least 70cm to see the display contents (and impossible in sunlight). And (3) the DPAF sensor + EVF allows me to set the AF point where I need it and this is very often out of the range of classic DSLR AF points.

My next camera will definitely be a mirrorless for my way of taking photos or a DSLR with switchable EVF ... if this will ever happen.

So no need to upgrade my 200D but good to see the refreshment for those who need a lightweight uncomplicated camera with great IQ and reasonable ergonomics.

Upvote 0

Chris Jankowski

6DII + various lenses, 200D + 15-85
Jul 27, 2013
I'd guess that when Canon said videographers they really meant vblogers. 6D2 turned out to be the best vbloging camera according to Tony Northrup. I'd say that SL3 will be just as good for that at a fraction of price. Just flip and turn the LCD into selfie mode, press the button and voila you create a vblog in HD. The new AF system will do a good job. Just upload to youtube.

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
Canon's big announcement is an entry level Rebel while Sony just announced a firmware update that includes real-time eye-AF for wildlife. Come on Canon. Get in the game!
The game Canon is playing is to sell more cameras, and they are winning by a landslide. Sony has been trying to get in that game for years, but they continue to fail.

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0
Premiere Pro CC (currently 2019) will edit native file formats for nearly anything I throw at it. Personally have never had an issue with any Canon footage at all, regardless of exact file type or resolution. Can even bring in RED 6K native without issue. Same with After Effects.

FCPX does some background processing on import (at least last time I used it). Avid used to do the same, but apparently they've rewritten a ton of the program for the latest/upcoming release of Media Composer.

Upvote 0