Price Drops on the Canon Cinema EOS C100

WesEvans

The world breaks everyone
Oct 9, 2014
Austin, TX
icarusburning.com
Ebrahim Saadawi said:
Here you go, if you're a video professional, try this:

take an a7s, with a 7" Shogun on the wobbly hotshoe, but a cage around the a7s, to mount an XLR input for acceptable sound, then put a third party adapter on the mount, then your lens, which now you have to control and focus manually, no big deal, you're a pro, then get some rails and screw on a mattebox on the front to put your NDs. And yes, remember that the battery of the 7" Shogun runs for 20-30 minutes, and the battery on the a7s runs for an hour or so, so to forget power as you would do on a c100, put a V lock battery on the back of the whole thing to balance it out.

Then go out, shoot, get back to edit the Log files, in which you'll find any bright bluw colour in the images clipped like a cartoon segment, and find highlight edges aliasing, and also find noticeable aliasing on fine detail at 4K. Then scale down to 1080p, deliver to client

Happy shooting, and, good luck!

AND pray you stabilized enough to avoid rolling shutter issues. No quick panning, minimal handheld shots.

The battery issue I knew about, but the color clipping is news to me. Can't wait to get my C100 Mark II, even though they pushed it back a couple more weeks, should be worth the wait.

Upvote 0
Ebrahim Saadawi said:

take an a7s, with a 7" Shogun on the wobbly hotshoe, but a cage around the a7s, to mount an XLR input for acceptable sound, then put a third party adapter on the mount, then your lens, which now you have to control and focus manually, no big deal, you're a pro, then get some rails and screw on a mattebox on the front to put your NDs. And yes, remember that the battery of the 7" Shogun runs for 20-30 minutes, and the battery on the a7s runs for an hour or so, so to forget power as you would do on a c100, put a V lock battery on the back of the whole thing to balance it out.

Then go out, shoot, get back to edit the Log files, in which you'll find any bright bluw colour in the images clipped like a cartoon segment, and find highlight edges aliasing, and also find noticeable aliasing on fine detail at 4K. Then scale down to 1080p, deliver to client

+ one million.

Upvote 0
WesEvans said:
The battery issue I knew about, but the color clipping is news to me. Can't wait to get my C100 Mark II, even though they pushed it back a couple more weeks, should be worth the wait.

Yup, it ruled the A7s right out for me. It is a shame.
http://www.eoshd.com/comments/topic/7172-sony-a7s-color-channel-clipping-issues/

Upvote 0

WesEvans

The world breaks everyone
Oct 9, 2014
Austin, TX
icarusburning.com
CarlMillerPhoto said:
WesEvans said:

Yup, it ruled the A7s right out for me. It is a shame.
http://www.eoshd.com/comments/topic/7172-sony-a7s-color-channel-clipping-issues/

OH WOW, that's insane! And the reasons keep piling up.

Upvote 0
Ebrahim Saadawi said:

The situation you described is commonplace for ALL professional shoots, so what's your point? That a $5000~ kit can do what an Arri Alexa can? That's a plus if I read it right. And true pros don't record sound straight to camera, anyway; they have an external audio recorder. Wobbly hotshoe? As you are talking "pros," you should know that pros don't use that "wobbly" hotshoe; they use a cage. And they use full power bricks to power everything, not the tiny battery. You're right: pros manually focus, which explains all those $10,000 focus tracking accessories on the market. Real pros also all use cine lenses for video shoots in the situation you described, so in essence every shoot is using "third party lenses" unless Zeiss puts their own camera on the market. It's unfair to suggest that these are "downsides" to shooting with a rigged a7s kit that can be avoided by choosing a C100, while ignoring the numerous "upside" that the a7s brings.

Upvote 0