Pricing for the new PowerShot G series cameras and new RF 24-240mm f/4-6.3 IS have leaked

pj1974

80D, M5, 7D, & lots of glass and accessories!
Oct 18, 2011
Adelaide, Australia
Once everyone outside of USA adds the 15-20% "I don't live in America" tax that all companies impose :mad: , then add on the currently bad exchange rate (for AUD, which is about 10% worse than last year, & 20% worse than 5 years ago), these things will cost an absolute fortune! :cry:
anyway... I am waiting for the new 'M' model to come out. Hopefully before November when I go overseas, and can claim back the 10% GST.

I'm in Melbourne and I feel your pain too. The Australia tax and the AUD suck :-(

I love my 200D but it has its limitations. Depending on the price and my cashflow, I may spring for the new M5 Mk. II (and EF adapter to use my existing lenses) or maybe pick up a used 80D on ebay.

I'm in Adelaide, and yes, photography gear can cost notably more in Australia than it does in the USA (particularly new / recently released gear). However, at times certain products can be very close. It definitely pays to shop around, there's a lot of variation in both bricks and mortar stores as well as online retailers!

I have bought lots of digital photography equipment over the past 20 years. I began with Kodak and Fuji digital P&S cameras, to now having a number of Canon DSLRs, an M5 with lots of EF, EF-S and EF-M lenses and accessories. Two of my most used cameras are my 80D and M5.

Hamish, just sharing my experience with you - that Canon's APS-C mirrorless cameras (e.g. the M5) are quite different in use to a APS-C DSLR (despite having similar sensors). While DPAF (dual pixel auto focus) is great in many ways (e.g. in decent light it's extremely accurate and fairly quick). But in dim light autofocus reaches limitations, especially with 'slow' glass (i.e. slower than f/2.8). The M5 is not as responsive as the 80D in terms of shot to shot use, AF tracking. The playback and menu system are slower on the M5 too. In bright light, I much prefer the OVF (optical view finder) of the 80D. But in dim light the M5's view finder can be really helpful.

I have used the EOS R (FF mirrorless) - and it's EVF (electronic view finder) is notably better than the M5's (bigger, brighter and more accurate colours and in representing dynamic range). The M5 with medium to large sized adapted EF lenses (e.g. my 70-300mm L or even my 100mm L) soon feels uncomfortable to hold for long periods compared to my 80D.

Where the M5 shines is: having a smaller, lighter and more portable travel camera. It's great to be less intrusive for casual and street photography too. The Canon EF-M lenses I own are all handy in their own right. These are the: 22mm f/2, 15-45mm and 18-150mm - with all working well for different purposes. I also have the Samyang/Rokinon 12mm f/2, which is GREAT for astrophotography.

But If I would need to limit myself to 1 camera, I would choose my 80D (which often pairs with the very versatile 15-85mm for general purpose and travel). Or for ultra wide angle, the Sigma 8-16mm, for macro the 100mmL, for portraits the 50mm (or 100mmL) and for telephoto, the 70-300mm L. I will keep a close eye on the M5mkII, but at this stage, will also keep a DSLR or 2 - because they complement the mirrorless offerings.

Meanwhile, I will also be tempted to move to the EOS RF mount FF mirrorless in the future, when a more responsive body is available, and hopefully one which has IBIS. The 24-240mm looks like a decent travel lens, and I hope its optical quality is fairly decent for a 'super zoom'. Will be interesting to see.

PJ

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0
Interesting, so many Australians here. :)

Up to a certain threshold, about 1000 AUD, I buy grey gear. Haven't had a failure with the grey gear so far, but above that threshold I prefer to have an official Canon warranty. This lens will probably be more than 1000 AUD, but I'm waiting for the high-res R camera before deciding on what to do with my lenses. Will likely stay with what I have + adapter, but 24-240 sounds like a good travel/landscape lens. Potentially.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

tron

CR Pro
Nov 8, 2011
The EF 35-350mm costs ~$2,400, or ~3x the price of the RF 24-240mm.

As 240mm/6.3 is much smaller than 350mm/5.6, I suspect reviews would show the difference is due to lower IQ.
As you said it is much smaller so it has much less glass. No need for the IQ to be lower. It is a much newer lens so its design may compensate.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
Plus touchscreen interface and build quality. I handled both the G7X and RX100 in a shop an the Sony felt really flimsy, especially the top plate.
I haven’t tried the Sony but i hope canon fixed the biggest (;-) flaw; you cannot turn off the camera and retract the lens while saving to memorycard. I would like to take my pictures, put the camera away securely in tha bag and walk on whithout waiting for the buffer to clear. My G7X mark II just broke the zoom :-( Still works in wideangle though.

Upvote 0
That's a bit more than expensive than I was expecting for the 24-240, but I don't think it's unreasonable.

I always figured Canon over-priced launch so they can use instant rebates/etc. to insulate against currency fluctuations for a while. I remember in Canada when a series of lenses' base prices were increased because the Canadian dollar fell (~2016) - it happened quietly, but was not well received by those that noticed. Actually, when I heard the rumour I went out and picked up a 70-200 f/2.8L ii at the previous base price. Sure enough I saved a few hundred dollars on that purchase because of the heads up! Thanks again for that!
Gotta get that early adopter tax when people see the new kit. I expect to see some sort of instant rebate to put it under 2000 by August. Probably also drop the adapter with that price, and get a few dollars more from people with old lenses.

Upvote 0

tron

CR Pro
Nov 8, 2011
I haven’t tried the Sony but i hope canon fixed the biggest (;-) flaw; you cannot turn off the camera and retract the lens while saving to memorycard. I would like to take my pictures, put the camera away securely in tha bag and walk on whithout waiting for the buffer to clear. My G7X mark II just broke the zoom :-( Still works in wideangle though.
How much time is this for a compact camera after taking a shot? One second, two?

Upvote 0
Mar 25, 2011
The 80D two-lens kit at Costco is $1300. I think if Canon wants to sell the EOS RP kit at Costco, it needs to drop the price to around $1800.
They usually don't drop the price at Costco, they throw in a extra gadget or some other low cost item into the kit so it meets Costco's requirement that it cost less than the MSRP, or you get more for the same price. I've seen bags, tripods, straps, and the like added. Of course, the 2 lens kit is the standard extra feature.

I've always been able to beat Costco's Prices. My employee discount plan knocks 10% off the MSRP of all the Canon bodies and lenses except for newly released items. I've used that once to buy a body fairly soon after it was released and still selling for full MSRP.

Upvote 0
Canon has never pretended to be a welfare organization. ;)
Over the last year or so, Canon seems to have instant rebates live as soon as a product is announced. I wouldn't be surprised to see the RP/24-240 kit to hit $1999 quickly.

Zero price discount for the new RP kit? That doesn't even smell right. You get a $200 discount on the existing L kit. It'll be $1,999 within weeks.

Upvote 0

EOBeav

Not going anywhere
May 4, 2011
about.me
Regarding pricing and Powershots: If you can be patient, you should be able to save $100-200 USD or so off a new G-series compact, 6 months to a year after release date. Two examples: The G9XmkII and the G7XmkII were down $100 within six months after they hit the market. Be diligent about checking sales and sign up to get alerts if you're in the market for one, and you shouldn't ever have to pay MSRP.

Upvote 0

FramerMCB

Canon 40D & 7D
CR Pro
Sep 9, 2014
The 80D two-lens kit at Costco is $1300. I think if Canon wants to sell the EOS RP kit at Costco, it needs to drop the price to around $1800.
Not to get too far off topic but that same 2-lens kit with the 80D can be purchased via Canonusa.com/Shop/cameras/refurbished
for $699.99 USD right now (NOTE: this is for the Refurbished KIT and still comes with Canon 1-year warranty. Just not original packaging: boxes, etc.): 80D w/15-55mm f4.5-5.6 STM and 55-250mm f/4.5-6.3 STM. Seemed like a great value especially when I was considering a new Canon EOS 77D from Adorama (or B&H) for $649.99 (body only). And since I have some lenses already, I might try and sell the kit lenses for $100 or so each...

Upvote 0