Pricing for the new PowerShot G series cameras and new RF 24-240mm f/4-6.3 IS have leaked

May 11, 2017
Sadly, fixed lens digital cameras are a money pit. Canon should drop them and focus resources on building the best interchange lens cameras.
It seems that Canon may not agree with you, at least about dropping fixed lens digital cameras, although they do seem to paying a lot of attention to developing new interchangeable cameras as well.

Upvote 0
Jul 16, 2012
Its cheaper to buy the EOS R body from a shop here in Melbourne Oz than to get it from BH Photo at the moment., even without the GST, and with an 'instant savings' of $300 US at BH.

The price differences are annoying at times, but they arent nearly as bad as they used to be in my view. Having to pay a fee as well as GST is a bit irksome though, knew that would be part of the $1000 cap going.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
The Canon G5X II is not a competitor to the RX100 VI, although a new RX100 VII is right around the corner.

G5X II is on par to the RX100 IV.

Really? MSRP for G5X II (USD 899) is 25% below current Sony RX 100 VI street price (USD 1198 B&H) and on par with current Pana LX100 II street price (USD 897 B&H) ...

While lower would of course be welcome I do find all 3 MSRP prices "rather sensible". Canon will also have left some room for cash backs . :)

Upvote 0

slclick

EOS 3
Dec 17, 2013
The Canon G5X II is not a competitor to the RX100 VI, although a new RX100 VII is right around the corner.

This of course is conjecture and we shall see how things shake out. The build, menu system and potentially the glass might be far better than anything Sony is putting into adv compacts. It is well known that the RX series is a lousy, flimsy build and Sony's screen layout are cumbersome. Canon is using a new lens for this model and I can't wait to see some reputable reviews

Upvote 0
This of course is conjecture and we shall see how things shake out. The build, menu system and potentially the glass might be far better than anything Sony is putting into adv compacts. It is well known that the RX series is a lousy, flimsy build and Sony's screen layout are cumbersome. Canon is using a new lens for this model and I can't wait to see some reputable reviews

Glass? Sorry but NO.

Upvote 0

slclick

EOS 3
Dec 17, 2013
Glass? Sorry but NO.
Have you beta tested this unreleased item? I'd hold off your for summation until after the launch and the tests/reviews start pouring in, not too mention your possible personal experience. You may be right when all is said and done but until you have proof, you know as much as the rest of us, very little.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010

If they are contemporaneous and current, they are competitors. You may not believe the spec sheets are equivalent, but the market doesn’t give a damn what you believe.

Upvote 0
Jun 17, 2019

The lenses Sony uses in the RX100 cameras are excellent for their size and focal range, so I'm doubtful Canon can best them.

What is the source on Canon using a new lens for the G7X III/G5X II by the way? I haven't seen that in the rumored spec sheets and the focal range/aperture are identical to the older models.

Upvote 0
Jun 17, 2019
The G5X II had a shorter focal-length range. Could be the new one is getting the same lens as was on the G7X II, but it isn't "identical to the older model" based on the announced specs.

My bad, you're right. I wonder how much sharper they can make it though, increasing the focal range but staying similarly small?

Upvote 0

PVCC

Arts & Engineering
Jul 5, 2019
[/QUOTE]
The G5X II is better in every parameter than RX100 VI. Except the longer lens on Sony but i prefer the shorter and much brighter on the Canon

Except at least one amazing feature (probably others too):

Both Sony RX 100 VA and VI have Super Slow motion video ("HFR") that can be "packed" in different video frame rates like 24p, 25, 30p, etc., depending your needs.

The original high frame rates are: 240, 480 & 960 fps (in NTSC mode) @ 1080p

The 240fps is awesome. With good light, the 480 fps is also VERY good.

This is one of the most impressive features so far, compared to their rivals... None of them offer that.

G7X III & G5X II will only offer 120fps @ 1080p according rumors posts.

Upvote 0

PVCC

Arts & Engineering
Jul 5, 2019
I live far away.
I hope Amazon or another store in Spain offers the G7X III before August, my only chance to get it at home so far...

I always liked pocketable cameras, even having big and expensive gear (FF Camera & lenses)

I always like to have a camera with me. So far my smartphone do good job, but the G7X III would do it much better...

Discretion/not bringing attention is always a very good point.

I own a Panasonic G7 (M43) which I like a lot for that reason, and G7X III would be a really good mate.

Upvote 0

EOBeav

Not going anywhere
May 4, 2011
about.me
Sadly, fixed lens digital cameras are a money pit. Canon should drop them and focus resources on building the best interchange lens cameras.
And yet, here we are, talking about upcoming models. How long have people been predicting the end of compacts now? 10 years? The fact is, an interchangeable lens camera isn't always the best option to have with you.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
Jun 17, 2019
ILCs will never be pocketable, aside from a select few tiny bodies with tiny kit lenses which don't outperform fixed lens cameras anyway. Since ILCs aren't pocketable, they can never actually compete with smartphones in that dimension.

Compact fixed lens cameras can.

It's true that tiny-sensor fixed lens cameras have basically been killed by smartphones aside from a couple of niche categories (extreme superzoom bridge cameras and underwater cameras). But larger, compact 1-inch sensor cameras have a clear place in the market: Pocketable, but still significantly better photo/video quality than a phone.

Upvote 0
Just hope Canon doesn’t screw up the lens again.

The lenses Sony uses in the RX100 cameras are excellent for their size and focal range, so I'm doubtful Canon can best them.

What is the source on Canon using a new lens for the G7X III/G5X II by the way? I haven't seen that in the rumored spec sheets and the focal range/aperture are identical to the older models.

Upvote 0