Pricing for the new PowerShot G series cameras and new RF 24-240mm f/4-6.3 IS have leaked

Jan 21, 2015
In terms of technical IQ, every current APS-C camera with a decent small fixed prime lens outperforms any current 1" compact.
And that's the problem, you'll either be stuck with single focal length or need to carry multiple lenses. The former is fine for some and the latter throws away the whole pocketable thing and adds some extra inconvenience.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

Quirkz

CR Pro
Oct 30, 2014
I think that if the optical quality of the 24-240 lens is good, that $899 is not an unreasonable price. If it lists for $899, chances are that it will likely sell for a little less after its been released. Also, rebates always happen during parts of the year.

The price is actually making me feel a little more optimistic on quality. If it’s half way between the rf24-105, and the old 28-300, it’s a likely buy for me.

the ref 24-105 is just so damn good that would be hard to take off if the 24-240 isn’t reasonably close!

Upvote 0
Jun 17, 2019
In terms of technical IQ, every current APS-C camera with a decent small fixed prime lens outperforms any current 1" compact.

Most of those bodies aren't pocketable even with a pancake prime on them--certainly nowhere near as small as a G7X or an RX100 series camera (and now apparently the G5X II). A select few camera bodies with a pancake lens could fit in a large jacket pocket--but then you're on a fixed focal length OR you're using a kit lens with such a narrow aperture that you might as well be using a 1-inch sensor anyway.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
Well Sony actually did, truth hurts I guess.
By all means, please share your sources for that information.

Incidentally, before you toss out the original Sony Mavica as ‘truth’, understand that it was analog, not digital (that’s the ‘D’ in DSLR, as I’m sure you’re aware).

You’re entitled to your own opinion, but not to your own facts. Careful that your ‘truth’ doesn’t bite you on the ass.

Upvote 0