Pricing for the new PowerShot G series cameras and new RF 24-240mm f/4-6.3 IS have leaked

Don Haines

Beware of cats with laser eyes!
Jun 4, 2012
Canada
That's because I'm not a corporation.
So Kodak invents the digital camera....

If Sony buys Kodak, Kodak is still the inventor. The patent still says Kodak. History still says Kodak. Short of getting a flux capacitor and 1.21Gigawatts of power and confusing movies with reality, you can’t change the past.....

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Apr 25, 2011
So Kodak invents the digital camera....

If Sony buys Kodak, Kodak is still the inventor. The patent still says Kodak. History still says Kodak. Short of getting a flux capacitor and 1.21Gigawatts of power and confusing movies with reality, you can’t change the past.....
Personally, I'm talking about future.

And while past performance does not guarantee future results, it may give some ideas.

If Sony buys Minolta's camera division, that division doesn't suddenly lose all its competence.

Upvote 0

PVCC

Arts & Engineering
Jul 5, 2019
Please, someone who owns a G7X II could let me know the zoom lens performance, especially regarding sharpness (and at corners)?

The leaks seem to show the GX7 III will keep the same lens (24-100 1.8-2.8 in 35mm equivalent)

The new G5X II will have a different zoom lens, and be more expensive, so I'm only interested on the G7X III, as "affordable" Pocket camera to carry with me everywhere, besides my smartphone

Thank you!

Upvote 0

stevelee

FT-QL
CR Pro
Jul 6, 2017
Davidson, NC
Please, someone who owns a G7X II could let me know the zoom lens performance, especially regarding sharpness (and at corners)?

The leaks seem to show the GX7 III will keep the same lens (24-100 1.8-2.8 in 35mm equivalent)

The new G5X II will have a different zoom lens, and be more expensive, so I'm only interested on the G7X III, as "affordable" Pocket camera to carry with me everywhere, besides my smartphone

Thank you!

I'm currently going through the 900+ pictures I recently made with mine in Denmark and Sweden. I took thousands of photos with it on the eight major trips I have taken since the fall of 2016. I have yet to notice any problem with corners beyond what one might reasonably expect. I shoot RAW and let the lens profile adjustments be used automatically. They also are used in camera for JPEGs. The camera can be so compact because they do not add 3 pounds of corrective lens elements. Flaws are dealt with in software. For my purposes, that works beautifully. I make 13" x 19" prints of some of my best shots to frame and hang on my walls. The lens and the 1" sensor work fine for that.

YMMV, and maybe I'm not adequately critical. I expect more from my L lenses with a FF sensor, but I don't miss them and wish I were lugging them around when I travel. Maybe you can tell something from the small pictures I've posted from Edinburgh, for example. http://www.stevelee.name/britain/scotland/edinburgh/index.html

Upvote 0

stevelee

FT-QL
CR Pro
Jul 6, 2017
Davidson, NC
Or maybe this from Dublin:
IMG_2913.jpg

Upvote 0

PVCC

Arts & Engineering
Jul 5, 2019
I'm currently going through the 900+ pictures I recently made with mine in Denmark and Sweden. I took thousands of photos with it on the eight major trips I have taken since the fall of 2016. I have yet to notice any problem with corners beyond what one might reasonably expect. I shoot RAW and let the lens profile adjustments be used automatically. They also are used in camera for JPEGs. The camera can be so compact because they do not add 3 pounds of corrective lens elements. Flaws are dealt with in software. For my purposes, that works beautifully. I make 13" x 19" prints of some of my best shots to frame and hang on my walls. The lens and the 1" sensor work fine for that.

YMMV, and maybe I'm not adequately critical. I expect more from my L lenses with a FF sensor, but I don't miss them and wish I were lugging them around when I travel. Maybe you can tell something from the small pictures I've posted from Edinburgh, for example. http://www.stevelee.name/britain/scotland/edinburgh/index.html

Thanks a lot for your detailed reply, much appreciated!

I also have pro gear, DSLR & L lenses, but don't like to carry around (and take so much care of it due to be so expensive) when going on vacations.

That's where a good pocket camera come so handy. I used to use old ones (like G12) with smaller sensor, but IQ wasn't good enough. My new smartphone is very good indeed (Samsung Note 9), but still not versatile as a P&S with optical zoom lens

I was checking many G7X II pictures, even at wide aperture, and seem very good. I expect the new G7X III will be better or on par, plus the 4K video and some other features, hence seems to be a very good option.

Thank you one again!

PS: I checked side to side the G7X II vs. G5X and even using same lens, but different Processors, the G7X II with Digic 7 (vs. Digic 6 on G5X) delivers noticeable better images. Interesting!

Upvote 0