Aussie shooter

https://brettguyphotography.picfair.com/
Dec 6, 2016
brettguyphotography.picfair.com
I thought there were some rumors that Nikon might cling to DSLR (and consequently go. Down with them)?
I hope not. I don't want to see Nikon die and as much as I like DSLR's and still think OVF is better then EVF in many respects, I can't see companies being able to spend money on producing both systems and selling enough to make a profit.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

Joules

doom
CR Pro
Jul 16, 2017
Hamburg, Germany
I hope not. I don't want to see Nikon die and as much as I like DSLR's and still think OVF is better then EVF in many respects, I can't see companies being able to spend money on producing both systems and selling enough to make a profit.
I think I was thinking of rumors about the D780 which already materialized last year.

Regarding future DSLR, what improvements would you even expect, @Mike27713 ? I guess you are talking about the 1 and 5 series. The former was refreshed recently and the latter likely has no was to make significant advances without also raising the price bracket. As they are now, the respective bodies are in production and available. They represent the best Canon is willing or able to offer in the DSLR realm and we have no reason to believe that any updates are coming soon.

Upvote 0
D

Deleted member 381342

I thought there were some rumors that Nikon might cling to DSLR (and consequently go. Down with them)?
Nikon have said (at least for now) they are all in on mirrorless. Nikon are however switching to just catering to pro's and enthusiast at the higher end of the market.

If you want the best DSLR's made and will likely be made, buy a Canon 1DxIII, Nikon D850, or Nikon D6. The Canon 5dIV is also a strong contender too. Any of these four will make you happy for years to come.

Last edited by a moderator:
Upvote 0

Del Paso

M3 Singlestroke
CR Pro
Aug 9, 2018
I don't dislike mirrorless, having an EOS R.
But, having MANY EF lenses (and preferring OVFs), I too hope Canon will not entirely abandon DSLRs.
Also, when I look at the pricing and weight of the RF L lenses, I find it hard to fully enter the RF system, not needing high fps or high-speed AF.
I know this is a purely personnel opinion, (landscapes and macro), but if I had to start anew, I'd surely consider the Fuji APS, for its affordability and low weight.
Just an example: how much will the RF 1,4/135 cost, $ 2500-3500?, the optically inferior but still excellent EF 2/135 is about $1000 and certainly lighter. Buying L lenses has become extremely expensive in the RF world...
My 2 cents...

Last edited:
Upvote 0

docsmith

CR Pro
Sep 17, 2010
Given up? No, I do not think so, in that I think the 1DXIII was aimed at a certain segment of the pro DSLR users and is an amazing camera. The 5DIV is a great camera. Great service has continued.

But Canon has announced that they will not be developing any more EF lenses. I doubt we see a new professional DSLR, I suspect the 1DXIII was the last. So, what you see is very likely what you are going to get.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

unfocused

Photos/Photo Book Reviews: www.thecuriouseye.com
Jul 20, 2010
Springfield, IL
www.thecuriouseye.com
Can anyone tell me if Canon has given up on us Pro DSLR users? I don't want a mirrorless! Please don't start telling me about any advantages to mirrorless, I don't care.
No one on this forum can tell you that. And anyone who says they can is lying.

Neither Canon nor Nikon have made any statements about the future of DSLRs. (Although actually, Nikon Rumors reported a few months back that Nikon has new DSLRs in the works. However, a more recent report on Nikon Rumors quotes Nikon as saying they are concentrating on mirrorless for the time being. Canon has make similar statements, declaring for example, that they are currently focused on expanding the RF lens line and are not currently developing new EF lenses.

Anything you read here is pure speculation.

Canon has a current professional model the 1Dx III, which is excellent and state of the art. They are not due for a refresh for another three years, so we won't know anything for at least three years about their plans for future 1Dx DSLRs. And, even then, they could easily stretch out the refresh cycle by a year or two, so who knows?

It would be uncharacteristic of either Canon or Nikon to definitively declare they are dropping DSLRs. Given the high demand for the R5 and R6 and the problems with the supply chain, even if Canon has future plans for new DSLRs, it is likely those plans have been put on hold until COVID-19 impacts shake out.

My personal opinion, and anything you read on this forum is just opinion, is that Canon and Nikon will wait to see how the market shakes out. I have often said that I think it is unlikely that 100% of DSLR users will convert to mirrorless. There is obviously a bottom line, return on investment number that Canon and Nikon have for future camera development. If their market research shows that there is a large enough market to justify future DSLR development, they will do so. Only Canon and Nikon know what those numbers are.

In the meantime, if you want a pro 1D x series camera, buy the 1DX III. If you want a 5D series camera, the 5D IV is excellent. Both Interestingly and unfortunately it has gone up in price in the past year. Possibly driven by the same shortages that are impacting mirrorless cameras. A year ago, new 5DIVs could be found for about $2,000 (USA Warranty, new) but the going rate now is closer to $2,250 -- which is still $1,600 less than the R5.

Upvote 0
Aug 22, 2013
Can anyone tell me if Canon has given up on us Pro DSLR users? I don't want a mirrorless! Please don't start telling me about any advantages to mirrorless, I don't care.
Officially Canon stated a week ago they have not given up on EF , but rather are "optimzing" the lineup.

Mirrorless is definitely their focus right now, but there are some like myself who won't buy that and canon knows this

So they will probably have more systems now with less products available in each system

Upvote 0