Problems with Canon USA Store

YuengLinger

Print the ones you love.
CR Pro
Dec 20, 2012
USA
The situation as reported in this and other threads seems to have been going on for over a year now. I had luck several years ago ordering a few things from Canon, but I've also hit the wall trying to order recently. I'm going to give Canon USA a pass for the foreseeable future, but I'd still trust their refurbs more than other online sources for used gear.

But as noted earlier in this thread, Canon USA is just one of tens of thousands of US businesses struggling with staffing at all levels. Hospitals are barely able to keep technicians that are near the bottom of the pay-scale, as many of them can make just as much sitting at home (government checks, saving on driving and parking and child care, rent relief, food cards, etc.) Higher level staff, such as pharmacists, doctors, physician assistants, and administrators with medical degrees are being recruited away, so there is unprecedented churn.

We all know the situation with restaurants!

And then there is the worst hit: any of the construction related trades, including landscaping. Many of these types of businesses cannot keep or find employees, and the materials situation is dire. In our area, people who need a new AC might "buy" a unit and then have a wait for the product combined with a labor shortage result in a delay of five months or more. Imagine being told apologetically in 98 degree summer weather about the delays. (It isn't only about comfort: Drywall, carpets, etc. can become ruined because modern houses aren't designed to allow airflow in many, many cases.)

A few weeks ago I was optimistic about things returning to normal. There now is a mindset among many I've talked to that current issues will go on for many years, especially with the latest Covid variant being hysterically reported, and new hurdles and costs being planned for small to medium sized businesses being planned here in the USA, plus much higher taxes on everybody to pay for years of crazy spending and yet more government employees.

Now go out and take pictures of our interesting epoch!

Cheers!

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

becceric

Making clumsy photographic mistakes since 1980
CR Pro
Oct 30, 2016
Well, I attempted to order everything in my Canon store cart this evening, but once I got to the checkout page, the PayPal choice was missing. It has been replaced with an Amazon Pay button. Since I don’t care for creating more accounts, I guess I’ll give it another try tomorrow.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

unfocused

Photos/Photo Book Reviews: www.thecuriouseye.com
Jul 20, 2010
Springfield, IL
www.thecuriouseye.com
Well, I attempted to order everything in my Canon store cart this evening, but once I got to the checkout page, the PayPal choice was missing. It has been replaced with an Amazon Pay button. Since I don’t care for creating more accounts, I guess I’ll give it another try tomorrow.
That's very strange. Just last week I used PayPal for a refurbished 70-200 RF with no problem.

BTW, for anyone following this thread, after I called Canon the lens did indeed ship and arrived today, in the usual pristine condition that I'm used to with refurbs. I will always suspect that a substantial portion of their refurbs are actually new items where the packaging was damaged during shipment. Of course I have no evidence of that.

Upvote 0

becceric

CR Pro
Oct 30, 2016
That's very strange. Just last week I used PayPal for a refurbished 70-200 RF with no problem.

BTW, for anyone following this thread, after I called Canon the lens did indeed ship and arrived today, in the usual pristine condition that I'm used to with refurbs. I will always suspect that a substantial portion of their refurbs are actually new items where the packaging was damaged during shipment. Of course I have no evidence of that.
Well, I tried a new sales order with my account name and as a guest. Still no PayPal option. I called the support line, and got a representative immediately beyond the normal prompts. he thought no payPal optionwas unusual, and set up an inquiry.
I also brought the subject up in their live chat. Their suggestion to clear browser history and caches have not helped. Since I have tried to order these items on four different devices, my user account, and as a guest, and on two different networks, this was no surprise.

Upvote 0

canonmike

EOS R6
CR Pro
Jan 5, 2013
The situation as reported in this and other threads seems to have been going on for over a year now. I had luck several years ago ordering a few things from Canon, but I've also hit the wall trying to order recently. I'm going to give Canon USA a pass for the foreseeable future, but I'd still trust their refurbs more than other online sources for used gear.

But as noted earlier in this thread, Canon USA is just one of tens of thousands of US businesses struggling with staffing at all levels. Hospitals are barely able to keep technicians that are near the bottom of the pay-scale, as many of them can make just as much sitting at home (government checks, saving on driving and parking and child care, rent relief, food cards, etc.) Higher level staff, such as pharmacists, doctors, physician assistants, and administrators with medical degrees are being recruited away, so there is unprecedented churn.

We all know the situation with restaurants!

And then there is the worst hit: any of the construction related trades, including landscaping. Many of these types of businesses cannot keep or find employees, and the materials situation is dire. In our area, people who need a new AC might "buy" a unit and then have a wait for the product combined with a labor shortage result in a delay of five months or more. Imagine being told apologetically in 98 degree summer weather about the delays. (It isn't only about comfort: Drywall, carpets, etc. can become ruined because modern houses aren't designed to allow airflow in many, many cases.)

A few weeks ago I was optimistic about things returning to normal. There now is a mindset among many I've talked to that current issues will go on for many years, especially with the latest Covid variant being hysterically reported, and new hurdles and costs being planned for small to medium sized businesses being planned here in the USA, plus much higher taxes on everybody to pay for years of crazy spending and yet more government employees.

Now go out and take pictures of our interesting epoch!

Cheers!
Indeed. I take my hat off and salute the people in the medical profession, across all levels. It's like being forced into combat against a very real but unseen enemy, that can attack you at any moment, with no provocation and no matter how careful you are, all while you are trying to help others get well again.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

becceric

CR Pro
Oct 30, 2016

Update:
After my wife noticed my Canon Store shopping cart was empty, she added one of the items I intended to purchase. When I've placed items in the cart, I have always started with the 600mm lens. She started with a different item, and the PayPal option was there!
After she informed me, I added the backordered 600mm lens. The PayPal option disappeared.
I removed it and the PayPal option reappeared.
So it turns out the issue all along was that adding a backordered item retracts a "pay immediately" option. When this all started, the 600mm was listed in stock, and the PayPal option was available, therefore it did not occur to me there were stock limitations for this option.
It apparently did not occur to the various Canon representatives I spoke with either.
Now I've ordered and received the two other items, and have the 600mm in my cart. I'll check daily (with fingers crossed) to see when one arrives.

Upvote 0