Pulled the trigger on an R tonight.

Ozarker

Love, joy, and peace to all of good will.
CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
Well, I had my heart set on an RP, but after much thought I ended up ordering the R and RF 24-105mm f/4L kit. I am hoping big time that the manual focus guide (those little arrows, not peaking) can be used with my old manual focus Takumars and Mamiya/Sekor lenses. I almost went with the 5D mark IV, but decided on the R instead. If I don't like it, I can always return it for a 5D Mark IV. Just hoping I made the right decision. My main reason for the R over the 5D Mark IV is the prospect of the new RF lenses. I've seen people do some nice work with the old EF 24-105, so the hope is that the RF version will be real nice. Anyway, wish me luck. I had to sell a whole bunch of stuff to get this, including my EF 35mm f/1.4L II and two rifles I hand built myself.

Reactions: 3 users
Mar 25, 2011
You can only use the focus guide arrows for a lens that sends data to the camera. If you have chipped your lenses, they may work, but if they are not canon compatible electronic, than focus peaking is the only solution besides your eyeball, and thats not bad. Blow up the image on the rear lcd and you can get really accurate AF.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

Ozarker

CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
You can only use the focus guide arrows for a lens that sends data to the camera. If you have chipped your lenses, they may work, but if they are not canon compatible electronic, than focus peaking is the only solution besides your eyeball, and thats not bad. Blow up the image on the rear lcd and you can get really accurate AF.
I noticed tonight that fotodiox has an adapter called the Pronto that adds AF to any manual focus lens without electronics. They used a Helios 58mm f/2 as the example lens on a Sony body. It isn't available yet for the R series, but I would imagine it will be in the next year or so. That would be a real game changer for me as I love to use my old M42 screw mount lenses. Fingers crossed. They got excellent results. I have purchase the chipped adapters in the past and the chips kept falling off. Thanks for the info! That was a big question of mine. The one accessory I wish I could have afforded was the adapter with the control ring. Maybe in a few months. Got the Camera and lens for $2,899 due to a $500 instant rebate. I think that was a good deal.

Upvote 0

koenkooi

CR Pro
Feb 25, 2015
The Netherlands

I've seen it stated as 'lens needs to report distance info' on the interwebs, but I don't think that's true. The focus guides also work with my MP-E, which is a fixed focus lens.
So that gives me good hopes that chipped lenses will work.

Upvote 0
Dec 13, 2010
Congrats!

I went in with a positive attitude and learned the whole camera first and tried a lot of different setups to really find a smart way to set it up. I know a guy who bought and right off the bat he had all this negativity and complained about everything that wasn’t exactly like his old camera, he always ends up selling and buying instead of taking the time.

For manual focus I use both those arrows, but have set my “Record”-button on top to magnify, and that is pretty easy also. So you have options.

I think the R still is an incredible camera that keeps on delivering for me. It’s REALLY enjoyable.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

Ozarker

CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
Congrats!

I went in with a positive attitude and learned the whole camera first and tried a lot of different setups to really find a smart way to set it up. I know a guy who bought and right off the bat he had all this negativity and complained about everything that wasn’t exactly like his old camera, he always ends up selling and buying instead of taking the time.

For manual focus I use both those arrows, but have set my “Record”-button on top to magnify, and that is pretty easy also. So you have options.

I think the R still is an incredible camera that keeps on delivering for me. It’s REALLY enjoyable.
That's great to hear. It really was a struggle choosing it above the 5D Mark IV, but the RF lenses look so good and the extra focus points will really make things nice, I think. I don't care about the video. Almost all I shoot are static stills. My problem will be the learning curve. Gets harder to learn as I get older.

Upvote 0
Dec 13, 2010
That's great to hear. It really was a struggle choosing it above the 5D Mark IV, but the RF lenses look so good and the extra focus points will really make things nice, I think. I don't care about the video. Almost all I shoot are static stills. My problem will be the learning curve. Gets harder to learn as I get older.
Keep an open mind and you’ll learn it soon enough.

I was initially very bummed I couldn’t zoom in to 1:1 at the actual used AF point with a simple press on the SET-button, but I just use double touch on the desired point and I forgot about the old way in a week.

Upvote 0
Mar 25, 2011
You should be able to get the R with 24-105 lens for ~$2799. Go to Greentoe and enter a slightly lower offer, perhaps 2650 and they will check with their dealers and counter with the lowest available price from a authorized US dealer.

Upvote 0

Maximilian

The dark side - I've been there
CR Pro
Nov 7, 2013
Germany
AHHHHHH!!!!!!
... and noticed I had accidentally ordered an RP kit.
So then it became clear, why the deal was too good to be true :p ;)
Cancelled the order in time. Will need to wait...
But I'm glad that you could fix it. A little longer waiting makes the thrill of anticipation even better ;)

• Haha
Upvote 0

Ozarker

CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
So then it became clear, why the deal was too good to be true :p;)

But I'm glad that you could fix it. A little longer waiting makes the thrill of anticipation even better ;)
Believe it or not, the deal isn't much different. Just about $3k either way. That's what got me confused. (I had a speedlight and M42 to RF adapter in the deal).

Upvote 0

Maximilian

CR Pro
Nov 7, 2013
Germany
Believe it or not, the deal isn't much different. Just about $3k either way. That's what got me confused. (I had a speedlight and M42 to RF adapter in the deal).
Interesting. In Germany the prices right now are this (at reliable dealers)
EOS R + RF24-105 + adapter = 3.5 k€
EOS RP + RF24-105 + adapter = 2.4 k€

So more than 1k difference. :unsure:

Upvote 0

Maximilian

CR Pro
Nov 7, 2013
Germany
Because of VAT. ;)
Got it.

Well, ... you know...
Of course it is always better when the taxes are low and the state leaves you as much money as possible, but a good infrastructure, a social environment etc. costs money.
And if VAT is directly included nobody can commit tax fraud.

Upvote 0

Ozarker

CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
Got it.

Well, ... you know...
Of course it is always better when the taxes are low and the state leaves you as much money as possible, but a good infrastructure, a social environment etc. costs money.
And if VAT is directly included nobody can commit tax fraud.
Believe me, I'd rather have a national sales tax (or VAT) than the convoluted income tax system we have here.

Upvote 0

Maximilian

CR Pro
Nov 7, 2013
Germany
Believe me, I'd rather have a national sales tax (or VAT) than the convoluted income tax system we have here.
We in Germany have both, and more :rolleyes: o_O.
There is a saying that 80% of the world tax specialized literature is about the German tax system. ;) (AFAIK know it's wrong)

Upvote 0