Quad Pixel Autofocus is ready for production [CR1]

Maximilian

The dark side - I've been there
CR Pro
Nov 7, 2013
Germany
... I found myself heavily favoring the R6mkii instead of the R5. In the end, I didn't pull the trigger because I thought the next gen is just around the corner. With the R6mkii ist the dial and the pixel count that actually bothered me. If the R5mkii really gets a mp bump to 61 MP, I hope the R6mkiii gets 30-34 MP. ...
As you still can get discounts I'll recommend reconsidering your decision.
I am quite happy with the 24 MP of my R6m2 for my birding and insect photography.
The R5m2 will be at least as expensive as the R5 at the start.
And an R6m3 is more than 2 or 3 years away.
A long time for you, maybe.
So if you are not willing to pay as much as the R5 did cost at the start for an R5m2 and if you don't need/want that 45 or 61 MP, you'll have to wait quite long for your about 30 MP and just maybe QPAF in a far away R6m2.
Of course, it is your time, money and need/desire :)
And just my 2 cents ;)

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
Jul 23, 2021
To be a technological break, I do hope this QPAF wil outperform DPAF in all aspects !

More, is this technology the best today, in front of Sony's technology for instance ?

Sony shares 1st place on the podium with Canon (and Nikon seems to be very close to them) for AF performances, so if Canon doesn't propose extreme AF perfs with R1, they will be bashed (as usual o_O:D!!)! Because now they don't mostly fight with AF performances, there's a new subject : Sony has now a global shutter, they are the fastest sensors manufacturer ! It'll be very hard for Canon to make our mouths falling on the floor with only good AF capabilities !

We're pretty sure A1 and R5II will have stacked sensors and Canon promizes their sensors will satisfy photographers enough to make them forget global-shutter needs ! We'll see, but it's dangerous !

I'm a bit scared by the R1 release, to be honnest ! Sony fanboys are already preparing their laughter reserves ! Canon can't miss the R1 launch and can't prepare "R2" stickers ! :ROFLMAO:

• Haha
Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

Berowne

... they sparkle still the right Promethean fire.
Jun 7, 2014
The rebates are great. Those who are until now not in the R-System may buy - a R6. My trusted dealer in Frankfurt am Main sells it for 1400€. It is the tech of the 1DxIII in a small body, for this price a no-brainer. Save the rest for glass and remember your kids need gifts for Christmas.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

DrD

Jun 11, 2021
R5 II with dual CF Express type B, stacked sensor (45 MP+ I'm not fussed) plus QPAF and priced 4500 euros (so around 4k US$ to 4200) and I will order one immediately. The eye AF from the R3 will likely appear in the R1 for sure, but if not also offered on the R5 II, then so be it. Not a deal breaker for me. Incremental improvements in low light performance and DR would be expected, and probably some tweaking of the LP-E6NH no doubt. The mark one R5 certainly delivered a lot more than many people expected, however, we should expect evolution of existing specs and not revolutionary new features. Also I would like to see some tweaks to certain aspects of the video recording features - more frame rate options and perhaps better codecs? After all, the Z8 can record ProRes 4:2:2 HQ internally, so the R5 II should too. No point adding new features to cameras if they require computers that cost more (than the camera bodies) to edit the captured footage.

Upvote 0

Del Paso

M3 Singlestroke
CR Pro
Aug 9, 2018
To be a technological break, I do hope this QPAF wil outperform DPAF in all aspects !

More, is this technology the best today, in front of Sony's technology for instance ?

Sony shares 1st place on the podium with Canon (and Nikon seems to be very close to them) for AF performances, so if Canon doesn't propose extreme AF perfs with R1, they will be bashed (as usual o_O:D!!)! Because now they don't mostly fight with AF performances, there's a new subject : Sony has now a global shutter, they are the fastest sensors manufacturer ! It'll be very hard for Canon to make our mouths falling on the floor with only good AF capabilities !

We're pretty sure A1 and R5II will have stacked sensors and Canon promizes their sensors will satisfy photographers enough to make them forget global-shutter needs ! We'll see, but it's dangerous !

I'm a bit scared by the R1 release, to be honnest ! Sony fanboys are already preparing their laughter reserves ! Canon can't miss the R1 launch and can't prepare "R2" stickers ! :ROFLMAO:
1st place on the podium with 250 native ISO, and less DR than almost every competitor ????
If this is Sony's best technology, welcome to digital stone-age...

Last edited:
Upvote 0
As you still can get discounts I'll recommend reconsidering your decision.
I am quite happy with the 24 MP of my R6m2 for my birding and insect photography.
The R5m2 will be at least as expensive as the R5 at the start.
And an R6m3 is more than 2 or 3 years away.
A long time for you, maybe.
So if you are not willing to pay as much as the R5 did cost at the start for an R5m2 and if you don't need/want that 45 or 61 MP, you'll have to wait quite long for your about 30 MP and just maybe QPAF in a far away R6m2.
Of course, it is your time, money and need/desire :)
And just my 2 cents ;)
Hehe, I am actually reconsidering...

- Are the 24MP sufficient enough for cropping with wild-life or sports?

I do believe in R6mkiii at the end of 2025 (three year cycle), which would be great for me because I'm currently saving up for a wedding and a honeymoon spending 2k plus is not the best way to go at the moment considering locations fees and prices for weddings in southern part of Germany.

Upvote 0

koenkooi

CR Pro
Feb 25, 2015
The Netherlands
Hehe, I am actually reconsidering...

I do believe in R6mkiii at the end of 2025 (three year cycle), which would be great for me because I'm currently saving up for a wedding and a honeymoon spending 2k plus is not the best way to go at the moment considering locations fees and prices for weddings in southern part of Germany.
My R8 has impressive pixel level sharpness, the lowpass filters on recent sensors are nicely weak.
It’s still only 24MP, but a very detailed 24MP :)

Reactions: 4 users
Upvote 0
My R8 has impressive pixel level sharpness, the lowpass filters on recent sensors are nicely weak.
It’s still only 24MP, but a very detailed 24MP :)
Thx for the input. I looked at the R8, but after having used the R7 over the summer (which I now sold to my soon to be father-in-law) I absolutely fell in love with having a joystick! One of the two things seriously missing from the R. Therefore, R8 is not for me, but still a very impressive package.

Upvote 0

koenkooi

CR Pro
Feb 25, 2015
The Netherlands
Thx for the input. I looked at the R8, but after having used the R7 over the summer (which I now sold to my soon to be father-in-law) I absolutely fell in love with having a joystick! One of the two things seriously missing from the R. Therefore, R8 is not for me, but still a very impressive package.
The R6II you’re coveting has the exact same sensor as the R8, which is why I mentioned it, not to sway you towards the R8 :)

Upvote 0

Del Paso

M3 Singlestroke
CR Pro
Aug 9, 2018
I said 1st place with Canon for AF, not for a whole !
Not even that. As usual, Sony keeps hunting for impressive specs, in this case the 1st. global shutter, while neglecting characteristics that really matter.The A9 III will be an easy game for the R1, the R 3 already surclasses it where it matters. DR, ISO, ergonomics... Pros rarely buy spec-sheet cameras. And, apart from the 1st global shutter, many A9 specs are negatively impressive.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Maximilian

The dark side - I've been there
CR Pro
Nov 7, 2013
Germany
I suppose it is as usual:
In a lot of cases it is sufficient, and sometimes you wish you have a 100MP sensor for this one pic.
I think you can recognize the sensor performance with this and this dragonfly post of mine.

Upvote 0