Quad Pixel Autofocus is ready for production [CR1]

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
Recently., Richard has translated a couple of patents on Quad Pixel Autofocus, something that Canon has been working on for quite some time. It’s the natural evolution of Dual Pixel Autofocus (DPAF). Quad Pixel Autofocus What is QPAF? Canon right now splits the pixel in half and uses the difference in the signal from the

See full article...

Reactions: 1 user
Canon obviously need a headline Technology to market the R1 and R5ii. With the Sony Alpha 9 III's marketing machine in full chat with their Global Shutter mantra...Canon will need some extra spice to fill the "so what's your camera got?" narrative.

I've noticed with my R6ii that the Af is more accurate, locks on and track better in landscape orientation, but suffers a bit in portrait orientation. The AI face detect, or even auto mode seems to be slower to recognise a situation and lock on in portrait orientation. Maybe this will be addressed with this new Quad pixel technology?

Upvote 0

Del Paso

M3 Singlestroke
CR Pro
Aug 9, 2018
Really? What was the point in going mirrorless then if not for the fantastic AF system?
In my case, EOS + Leica M...
EOS used for macros, tele-shots, with zooms, Leica M for WA whenever I'm using 2 bodies. So, about 70% EOS with AF. That's why these are good news for me too (waiting for the R5 II, impatiently...). Additionally, mirrorless is great for focusing MF Zeiss or Leica R lenses.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0

Del Paso

M3 Singlestroke
CR Pro
Aug 9, 2018
QPAF on both the R5 Mk2 and R1 would give me a key reason to purchase both of these cameras in 2024. The other would be stacked sensors on both bodies. Will be interesting to see how Canon decides to differentiate between the R5 Mk2 and R1. The Nikon Z8/Z9 are very similar cameras.
I hope they'll differentiate in pricing.
The R1 should cost much more than the stunningly inexpensive R5 II...;)

Upvote 0
It will be interesting to see how much more QPAF will improve over the now existing DPAF performance.
I hope not too much, or I'll need start saving for the R5m2 ;)
Currently the R6ii's AF is superior to the system in the R5. If this tech really does make it into the R5ii...then that situation will be reversed and the R5ii will have the superior AF system. It could easily become my main camera.

Upvote 0

Stig Nygaard

EOS R7, Powershot G5 X II & Olympus TG-5
CR Pro
Jul 10, 2013
Copenhagen
www.flickr.com
Just a reminder about this very recent CR3-rated rumor back from October 16th:

Specifically this paragraph:

We have also been told that Quad Pixel AF is not ready and will not be featured in the Canon EOS R1 image sensor. Though we should expect the usual improvements in overall autofocus performance.

So for this CR1-rated rumor today, maybe remember the usual "take it with a grain of salt"?... Though it is not clear if the above cited sensor information is (also) CR3, or it is just an extra rumor from another source than the "in the wild" rumor.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

Maximilian

The dark side - I've been there
CR Pro
Nov 7, 2013
Germany
Currently the R6ii's AF is superior to the system in the R5. If this tech really does make it into the R5ii...then that situation will be reversed and the R5ii will have the superior AF system. It could easily become my main camera.
Having the R6m2 and knowing the performance of its AF I know that Canon certainly will give a more expensive and newer camera a better AF system/performance.
My question was, how superior it'll really be. ;)

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

Del Paso

M3 Singlestroke
CR Pro
Aug 9, 2018
Considering the price on the refurb R5 last Friday it makes senses. It seemed like Canon was clearing all stock of the R5.
Yes, even in Europe, the R5 got heavily discounted, but still far less than in the USA...
I believe the R5 II will be announced quite soon, or, at least, some new mk.II features divulgated.

Upvote 0
Yes, even in Europe, the R5 got heavily discounted, but still far less than in the USA...
I believe the R5 II will be announced quite soon, or, at least, some new mk.II features divulgated.
Yes, I saw those deals and I strongly considered them. But after comparison, I found myself heavily favoring the R6mkii instead of the R5. In the end, I didn't pull the trigger because I thought the next gen is just around the corner. With the R6mkii ist the dial and the pixel count that actually bothered me. If the R5mkii really gets a mp bump to 61 MP, I hope the R6mkiii gets 30-34 MP. In the meantime, I might get a used R6 as second body for my sports shots. The R really doesn't do well with fast sports

But if QPAF really outperforms DPAF that bad, I'll wait for R5mkii or R6mkiii or such.

Upvote 0