R3 Displays the Focal Length of the Lens, Including When Zooming. Can the R5?

Jul 21, 2010
R-series bodies can show focus distance in the EVF, so when Canon adapted the EF 600/4 and 400/2.8 for RF they eliminated the distance window. ‘No longer needed’ = lower production costs.

Now that the zoom setting can be displayed in the EVF, perhaps they’ll reduce production costs by not painting the focal lengths on the zoom ring.

Canon, are you listening? :ROFLMAO:

• Haha
Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
Didn't you write, in a different thread, that Canon cameras don't have this piece of information?
No, I suggested that there’s no firmware command to set the focus distance to a specific value. Passively recording vs. actively setting. Sure, if the distance can be estimated after focus is achieved then it should be possible to drive a lens to a prespecified focus distance. But I’m not aware of any time that actually happens, are you? Your point was scripting using existing commands.

Focus distance is reported in the full EXIF data, has been since the first time I used exiftool.

Upvote 0
Mar 26, 2014
Sure, if the distance can be estimated after focus is achieved then it should be possible to drive a lens to a prespecified focus distance. But I’m not aware of any time that actually happens, are you? Your point was scripting using existing commands.
My point is if the camera drive the focus in the desired direction and read it, then it can set the focus to a desired distance, which would allow a scripting language to automatically set the lens to hyperfocal distance.

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
My point is if the camera drive the focus in the desired direction and read it, then it can set the focus to a desired distance, which would allow a scripting language to automatically set the lens to hyperfocal distance.
Yes, firmware code that seemingly doesn’t exist could be written to do that. And many other things. Not pre-existing commands, but sure it’s possible.

But this debate is moot because it’s not going to happen. If it’s important, get an old camera and use Magic Lantern. Canon isn’t even remotely likely to do it.

Upvote 0