R5 Arrived

Lenscracker

Old Prospector from 1944
CR Pro
Jun 28, 2013
Bucksnort, Ohio
OMG, without any warning my new EOS R5 from B&H arrived by FedX at 10:30 A.M. this morning of 7/30/2020. What a surprise. I was just checking the photo sites online to see if shipments actually started on 7/30 as rumored. I could find no evidence that shipments had started. I was wondering what my place in line would be. Surprise was that I received it on the day shipments rumored to begin. It came via FedX instead of UPS. That was a first for me from B&H.

Reactions: 1 users

Joules

doom
CR Pro
Jul 16, 2017
Hamburg, Germany
Congratulations!

You are the first to report, and we are all looking at you. Do you feel the pressure? ;)
Not the first, on this site you can also read some hands on experience here: https://www.canonrumors.com/forum/threads/just-got-my-r5-currently-charging.38941/

Anyway, if I may ask a question that should be easy to answer: The outer shell is metal, isn't it? With all the overheating sillyness I've read multiple times from people talking about plastic and that seems to contradict other sources :unsure:

Upvote 0

Lenscracker

Old Prospector from 1944
CR Pro
Jun 28, 2013
Bucksnort, Ohio
Not the first, on this site you can also read some hands on experience here: https://www.canonrumors.com/forum/threads/just-got-my-r5-currently-charging.38941/

Anyway, if I may ask a question that should be easy to answer: The outer shell is metal, isn't it? With all the overheating sillyness I've read multiple times from people talking about plastic and that seems to contradict other sources :unsure:
I read the same as you: the R5 shell is magnesium, but the R6 is not. The one thing I am sure of is that my R5 will never overheat from too much 8K video as long as I own it. That is probably true for most people. The exception being those people who really wanted a video camera that can cull out single frames when desired.

• Haha
Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

Michael Clark

Now we see through a glass, darkly...
Apr 5, 2016
OMG, without any warning my new EOS R5 from B&H arrived by FedX at 10:30 A.M. this morning of 7/30/2020. What a surprise. I was just checking the photo sites online to see if shipments actually started on 7/30 as rumored. I could find no evidence that shipments had started. I was wondering what my place in line would be. Surprise was that I received it on the day shipments rumored to begin. It came via FedX instead of UPS. That was a first for me from B&H.

Every camera body I've bought from B&H included free FedEx Standard Overnight shipping.

Upvote 0

Michael Clark

Apr 5, 2016
My R5 with kit lens was shipped standard from B&H, taking over 5 days to arrive :(

Maybe Standard Overnight was not available from New Jersey to your location? There are a few locations in fairly remote areas where overnight service is not available from FedEx or UPS.

Upvote 0
Maybe Standard Overnight was not available from New Jersey to your location? There are a few locations in fairly remote areas where overnight service is not available from FedEx or UPS.
I am located in SF Bay area, I would expect overnight is available. I contacted B&H and asked them why they shipped it that way. No response yet.

Upvote 0

Michael Clark

Apr 5, 2016
I am located in SF Bay area, I would expect overnight is available. I contacted B&H and asked them why they shipped it that way. No response yet.

I'd be surprised if it is the case, but maybe the flights don't line up right to do New Jersey to SF overnight? Maybe it requires going via two hubs? Even though the time zones work in favor of East to West, the system is built around the most traffic volume, which is typically West to East for consumer goods that come into the U.S via West Coast ports.

Or maybe it's a local issue with what time B&H closes out their trailers? Is it after the cutoff for Standard Overnight service to the West Coast has already passed each day? That, combined with the fact that most of the population in the U.S (other than those who live on the West Coast and the very few who live in the vast area between the eastern edge of the Rocky Mountains and the three states on the Pacific Ocean) gets standard FedEx ground delivery in only 2-3 days from NJ might explain their decision?

Upvote 0
I'd be surprised if it is the case, but maybe the flights don't line up right to do New Jersey to SF overnight? Maybe it requires going via two hubs? Even though the time zones work in favor of East to West, the system is built around the most traffic volume, which is typically West to East for consumer goods that come into the U.S via West Coast ports.

Or maybe it's a local issue with what time B&H closes out their trailers? Is it after the cutoff for Standard Overnight service to the West Coast has already passed each day? That, combined with the fact that most of the population in the U.S (other than those who live on the West Coast and the very few who live in the vast area between the eastern edge of the Rocky Mountains and the three states on the Pacific Ocean) gets standard FedEx ground delivery in only 2-3 days from NJ might explain their decision?
Yeah I hope there is an explanation instead of a silly mistake. I have cooled down since I got my R5 on 8/6.

Upvote 0