R5 has very noticeable clunk/rattle when the camera is off

Nov 12, 2016
Anybody else gotten an R5 yet and noticed a very noticeable clunk or rattle when the camera is moved or shaken when the camera is off? It's much less noticeable when the camera is on. I assume it's related to the IBIS. But wow, that doesn't inspire a lot of confidence. Sounds like something is just loose inside the camera. Does not seem to be any different if I turn off the IBIS and then turn off the camera.

Otherwise very happy with the camera after just playing around with it for a few minutes. But that rattle will take some getting used to. :oops:

• Wow
Reactions: 1 users
Dec 13, 2010
This has been in all the previews I've read, Canon has responded that its the IBIS and its normal.
So it can actually take a real bump to the camera with the IBIS loose inside without issues? I’m thinking a human with and without seatbelt in an accident , but perhaps it’s not comparable ...

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Mar 25, 2011
So it can actually take a real bump to the camera with the IBIS loose inside without issues? I’m thinking a human with and without seatbelt in an accident , but perhaps it’s not comparable ...
Canon tests their designs pretty rigorously, they test shock, vibration, hot and cold, so I'd expect that its not a issue. I've seen one patent for the IBIS, it looked pretty sturdy, but a patent does not reveal how strong it actually is.

I decided to go ahead and order a R5, it may not arrive until Christmas though. That's no big deal.

Upvote 0

Big_Ant_TV_Media

Hey Fellow Canon Shooters
Oct 13, 2014
NYC
www.facebook.com
Anybody else gotten an R5 yet and noticed a very noticeable clunk or rattle when the camera is moved or shaken when the camera is off? It's much less noticeable when the camera is on. I assume it's related to the IBIS. But wow, that doesn't inspire a lot of confidence. Sounds like something is just loose inside the camera. Does not seem to be any different if I turn off the IBIS and then turn off the camera.

Otherwise very happy with the camera after just playing around with it for a few minutes. But that rattle will take some getting used to. :oops:

TESTED MINE HERE IN NYC TODAY AND HEARD AND FELT THE SHAKE/RATTLE
yess is kinda freaks me out but i have baby'ed the camera since i got it THURS AM and used an adapted 50mm stm lens and old 24-70 F2.8 EF lens and now today used my new RF 24-70 F2.8 lens with IS on street bball testing the SERVO AF had more keeper then i could remember shooting bball before
but that SHAKE/RATTLE IS IT REALLY NORMAL

Upvote 0