R5 orange instead of red

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
Please help with settings for a birds red head. This is a red bishop but the image on LR and DPP shows the head as orange where it should be red and its 'blown-out'. What am I doing wrong?

View attachment 201254
First, tell us what your settings were. Presumably RAW, and how did you process it.

Upvote 0

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
I'm guessing it's called a Red Bishop for a reason......
It could be orange, according to Wikipedia: "The northern red bishop or orange bishop (Euplectes franciscanus) is a small passerine bird in the family Ploceidae. It is part of the largest genus in the family with over 60 different species.[2] Its sister species is the Southern red bishop (Euplectes orix). This species is most recognizable by the bright reddish orange with contrasting black plumage displayed by the breeding male. It is most common throughout the northern African continent but has also been introduced to areas in the western hemisphere." "The southern red bishop or red bishop (Euplectes orix) is a small passerine bird belonging to the bishop and widowbird genus Euplectes in the weaver family, the Ploceidae. It is common in wetlands and grassland in Africa south of the Equator. The southern red bishop is 10–11 centimetres long and has a thick conical bill. Breeding males are brightly coloured with red (occasionally orange) and black plumage. ."

Upvote 0
Jan 27, 2020
In all likelihood, you probably aren't doing anything wrong. While cameras are fantastic tools, they aren't magic - thus they don't always get color to match the "existing" color of things. If you post-process your image, you will probably notice that the colors will shift if you begin lower (or raise) the exposure. I notice others (including yourself) mention exposure, so that would be the first place I would start. From the examnples that others have provided, the bird's "red" color is very much a red-orange, as opposed to a red that leans more towards magenta, so the camera's color shift shift is probably not that great. Canon is known for their reds leaning more towards orange, as opposed to Nikon and Sony whose reds usually are more magenta in hue. There are various ways to shift color in post processing, including increasing or decreasing various colors, and also adjusting white balance settings. I think you will find that if one desires a very specific color, then some post processing is often necessary. Usually, for most circumstances, a camera does well enough, but not always.

Upvote 0