puffo25

EOS R5 - Fine art landscape, travel,astro and pano
Jul 18, 2017
italy
Hi all, I bought in August a Canon R5 to make panoramic images (using the nodal ninja rotating head), than use also for street photography, nature, events and so on (no studio, no weddings, no macro, no still life).
Someone suggested me to consider also the R6 since has a bit better EV (half stop) and smaller sensor (so in theory, easy to handle stiiching images and maybe better image quality on low light conditions). I have however decided to go for the R5 because the weather sealing and few other plus that that R6 does not have.
(The 8K video is not yet important to me as I do not do really videos...).

Now, I have used the R5 a bit and find great. However I see posts that a possible R5S might appear in 2021 or maybe 2022? I do not care about a larger file/image sensor, but of course a larger EV/low light image quality could be very interesting to me....

However I am not sure if indeed a made the best decision to buy the R5, or indeed was better to get the R6 or wait 1 year or longer for a possible R5 upgrade (R5S)?

Maybe I am just too paranoic?
Andrea

Joules

doom
CR Pro
Jul 16, 2017
Hamburg, Germany
of course a larger EV/low light image quality could be very interesting to me....
What do you mean by EV?

In terms of low light performance, you will most likely find the high resolution R (R5s, R3, or whatever it will be called) to be very similar to the R5.

Andrea
Probably. I doubt the R5 will lose much value before the high res R is released. So if you want to switch to that body eventually, you may do that without much financial loss.

For the moment, I don't think there is anything the R6 actually does better than the R5. So if you wanted the best mirrorless performance Canon has to offer and can afford the purchase, the R5 seems to be a fine choice.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

Joules

doom
CR Pro
Jul 16, 2017
Hamburg, Germany
Hi @Joules, thanks for the reply-
I mean EVF (dynamic range).
Hm. I was confused because you seemed to imply the R6 fared better in this metric. If you mean dynamic range, that is not the case. The R5 offers basically the best DR you can get right now. Although this is achieved by sensor based noise reduction, I am not aware of any posts demonstrating any downsides to this.

Upvote 0

zim

CR Pro
Oct 18, 2011
Hi all, I bought in August a Canon R5 to make panoramic images (using the nodal ninja rotating head), than use also for street photography, nature, events and so on (no studio, no weddings, no macro, no still life).
Someone suggested me to consider also the R6 since has a bit better EV (half stop) and smaller sensor (so in theory, easy to handle stiiching images and maybe better image quality on low light conditions). I have however decided to go for the R5 because the weather sealing and few other plus that that R6 does not have.
(The 8K video is not yet important to me as I do not do really videos...).

Now, I have used the R5 a bit and find great. However I see posts that a possible R5S might appear in 2021 or maybe 2022? I do not care about a larger file/image sensor, but of course a larger EV/low light image quality could be very interesting to me....

However I am not sure if indeed a made the best decision to buy the R5, or indeed was better to get the R6 or wait 1 year or longer for a possible R5 upgrade (R5S)?

Andrea
FWIW I think a really high res R5s would make pano stitching a nightmare. I'd get an R5s if I wanted to stop stitching panos or to massively reduce the number of frames, but then you'll run into stitching errors as you'd be using a much wider lens. For me what you have is a dream combo (R5 & nodal head).

Upvote 0

puffo25

EOS R5 - Fine art landscape, travel,astro and pano
Jul 18, 2017
italy
Hi, I guess indeed the R5 is a great beast. The heat with R5 for 8K video is more a marketing matter made by the competitor or by video users that are really into video (than why not buy the dedicated video cam from Canon?).
I guess R5 is as today indeed the king for mirrorless cameras.
Only the Sony sensor might make a great competition with it!? It is suppose to provide great image quality and perform so well on poor light conditions. And auto-focus seams excellent. Is R5 capable to perform the same?

Couple of interesting reviews that I consider quite honest:
https://mirrorlesscomparison.com/preview/canon-eos-r5-vs-sony-a7r-iv/ ((here slightly better Canon)
https://cameradecision.com/compare/Canon-EOS-R5-vs-Sony-Alpha-A7R-IV (here slightly better Sony BUT based only side by side matching and not real field testing!)
https://cameradecision.com/compare/Canon-EOS-R5-vs-Sony-Alpha-A9-Mark-II (slightly better Canon)

Upvote 0

zim

CR Pro
Oct 18, 2011
Can you elaborate what you think the disadvantages of high resolution images for stitching are? Is it just about processing times?
Well for me anyway stitching allows me to use a longer focal length lens which should give a more corrected (flatter) individual image and more detail per image. The balance to work out being the number of initial images, individual image size and what the final fov I want for a particular final photo. If I use a really high res sensor and do the same as above the files would be huge and as you say processing times big although that doesn't bother me too much. So for a given focal length you could use less images and get the same detail but that would mean using a wider lens, not good for stitching. Either way huge files and processing times with no real final benefit or similar size files and processing times but more problamatic stitching.
I should say though that all panos I do are only for printing no other use case. I'm not into the giga pano zoom in crazy amounts stuff. If you're really into that which for me is more about tech and science then yes more is better (focal length and high res)

Upvote 0