R5 User manuals are up....

H. Jones

Photojournalist
Aug 1, 2014
At the office with the EOS R, I've never had any issue with battery life by switching batteries in downtime after every shoot, it just becomes second nature to swap the batteries when I download the cards. That said, I already ordered two extra LP-E6NH batteries, and will probably get two more. I'd much rather have full performance and the most natural shooting conditions than get frustrated by the camera or have it get in the way of something. Depending on how bad it gets, I may pick up a battery grip, but I'd rather have the smaller size and just stay on top of swapping.

On top of that, with the R5 taking powerbank charging, I already have a power delivery charging bank that works for laptops, so I'm sure that'll work with the R5 and let me top off the camera while in the car between assignments or during halftime at a sports event if I had to.

It's an unfortunate compromise though, I barely have to change my 1DX2 battery in a week of shooting, and my 5D3 shoots so few frames as a secondary camera that I only change that battery like once every 2-3 weeks.

Upvote 0
Nov 12, 2016
Can anyone tell if the instruction manual discusses the ability to register a certain AF point to be able to recall it quickly with a button press? I relied on this a lot on my 5D4, and I fear the feature has gone by the wayside with mirrorless cameras. The manual usually talks about it in the custom functions section, and I don't see any of the traditional symbols associated with this feature when I look through these foreign language R5 manuals.

Upvote 0
Jul 27, 2020
I thought their video was awful , they contradict each other , neither of them panned the birds properly , it was like they wanted to find faults .
Totally agree Richard. They didn't give the camera a fighting chance to show what it can do. A non supported lens and a 2x extender. They do claim they had the same problem with an RF lens too but didn't include footage to support this and they've not got an RF tele zoom or prime. My decision was influenced by Canon's inability to answer basic questions on lenses and EVF performance despite 3 attempts by me to get answers. They even claim they don't put the manuals out online until the product shipping date. From memory every other camera including the 1DXmk3 you could download the manual prior to shipping release. I'm frustrated by Canon on this one.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
Totally agree Richard. They didn't give the camera a fighting chance to show what it can do. A non supported lens and a 2x extender. They do claim they had the same problem with an RF lens too but didn't include footage to support this and they've not got an RF tele zoom or prime. My decision was influenced by Canon's inability to answer basic questions on lenses and EVF performance despite 3 attempts by me to get answers. They even claim they don't put the manuals out online until the product shipping date. From memory every other camera including the 1DXmk3 you could download the manual prior to shipping release. I'm frustrated by Canon on this one.
My guess is the manual will be live in English either Tuesday or Wednesday , they have already released it in every other language , so there is not much point not letting it being published on line , the cameras are being delivered to the public on Thursday

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

SecureGSM

2 x 5D IV
Feb 26, 2017
Initially I didn't do it to save battery life, I did it out of OCD that the camera was obviously still "running" when I held it to my side between shots. So it's more like turning off the water faucet while you're brushing your teeth – not necessary but feels like the right thing to do :)
It is not if you are running and gunning with a pair or cameras and use them intermittently for like 9 Hours Long gig. That’s a nightmare scenario.

P.S. a 4-battery grip for R5 anyone? Like make it a man size... :)

Last edited:
Upvote 0