R5s/R3 High-res Body Wish List (in Light of R5/6)

Now that we've seen the R5/6, how does this change what you expect from the high-res R?

Here's what I'd like to see:

Resolution:
+80mp; downsampling mode that does what the 4K HQ mode does on the R5: higher DR, lower noise, and 100% use of each RBG color channel.

Body:
Larger than R5/6; same 5DsR top dial/controls (no mode wheel); large internal heat sinks.

Video:
"Stills Only" option in the menu that makes all the video items disappear, not just get grayed-out; can be tied to C1/2/3 settings.
1080/120 that is sharp; 4K/30 full sensor; 4K 60 crop; no recording time limits; much longer thermal limit lockouts due to larger heat sinks and larger body size.

AA filter:
No AA filter, not even a good one; or do two models again: R5s (AA) and R5sR (AA-cancelling); or design it so it they all ship with the AA-cancelling filter, but make the cancelling filter removable for a service fee.

Dynamic Range:
Current R5 level is good; improve the current handheld-compatible HDR multi-shot mode by having the option to record the HDR file to RAW instead of only to JPEG (I don't mind if there is a several-second wait while it processes the RAW).

ISO:
Maintain R5 performance if possible, at least when downsized to 45mp.

Storage:
Dual SD UHS-II + CFexpress Type A card slots (like the A7sIII) – video can dual-record to both cards in any mode.

FPS:
12fps mechanical/electronic with no rolling shutter

cornieleous

5D4 + R5
Jul 13, 2020
  1. I want at least 100MP.
  2. Global sensor readout.
  3. Even smaller body, maybe just snaps onto my cell phone.
  4. 16K video w/ unlimited shooting or else Canon is doomed.
  5. Faster frame rate, its 2020 and 20 FPS is just sad.
  6. Even MORE overheating and hand warmer grips.
  7. I want an audio stream I can cue from a built in speaker where videographers whine endlessly about all the failings of the camera and brand so I can enjoy that soundtrack while out taking landscapes.
  8. Also I want a button that, when pressed, a real Sony video camera pops out of a hidden compartment and can also take incredible 12MP stills that are better than the 100MP stills. The Sony then bashes the Canon with a tiny hammer while shouting "cripple hammer" in a small robot voice.

Alright I'm sorry, just blowing of some sarcasm steam. :ROFLMAO:

In all seriousness, I find many dream feature lists can be created but they may not be acknowledging phsyics or how camera electronics actually work. Based on what we have seen, I'm expecting iterative improvements for quite a while as we just saw a big technological leap with IBIS and AF, and low noise high MP sensor. No camera is going to be able to be even higher MP and do ultra video, particularly with even more weather sealing and probably even more processing for IBIS and focus in future generations. The challenges will pile up to a compromise like they did in the R5, so I would like the video to be conservative modes that just work, and leave video workhorse features to a really great video camera.

For no rolling shutter, that means global sensor readout. That is impossible and will be for some time on anything that is not a small sensor with low MP. Rolling shutter is already good on the R5, but the more MP and capability you cram in, the harder it is to read out fast enough.

Large heatsinks inside a body will send the heat nowhere so I assume you mean a larger body with heat channels to some convective surface outside the body. Heat must be conducted and then convected away from the source, so just making the body larger if still sealed and now even higher power will not likely fix anything. Hoping personally for a removable weather sealed cover or a weather sealed fan to get a heatsink to ambient air, which might be possible or might not. Or better yet, just a camera that does all the things it does very well with no compromise, but does not try to do too much in one tiny body.

I'd be quite happy with a larger body like 5D4 sized, and a hybrid OVF/EVF if a good one can be designed. MILC form factor and people obsessing over smaller is better makes no sense and I am not happy to see the industry going there. Pro equipment should be large enough to feel good in the hand, be more durable, fit its features without putting too many hot processors and such close together, and let controls be spaced out.

Don't agree with the 5DSR setup. I really like the new dial setup but would change the spacing of them slightly. With lens ring controller used for aperture, I don't even have to barely move to change ISO and shutter speed.

Nor the AA filter. An optional AA filter would be fine, but the weak one in the R5 already is, as with the 5D4. Even ultra pixel peepers in my opinion make way too big a deal about the marginal impact AA filter has. Also when you need it, better to have it then be left with moire.

Getting reliable 4K60 and super sharp video in all modes is not going to happen soon with a higher MP sensor in a smallish body until processors and ADC chains get faster and lower power and effective cooling is made easier and smarter. That will take several years, it is not cheap or fast to change fab technology on ASIC/FPGA or for sensors. Keeping low noise when the sensor resolution shoots way up is not going to be easy either. Sony has patented back illuminated sensors that widen the pixel and move readout circuit to the back, and that will be an advantage Canon will have to counter some other way if they have not already. I'm guessing the A7R4 already pushes about as far as possible for noise performance at high resolution on FF.

I'd like dual card slots that match types as well, not sure I care about supporting multiple types in a hybrid slot though. I think in a few years UHS may catchup enough, but parallel data transfer of the same type can always beat serial. Eventually internal storage and wifi is going to replace cards, and there will probably still be a card for redundant use but I am not interested in going through several more types of cards in the interim years.

I don't think dynamic range can be pushed much further at this sensor size. Maybe slightly. I'd rather have additional gain stages on the sensor and machine learning for noise reduction pre RAW recording. Digital signal processing is probably the stop gap for FF sensors improving beyond what the physics of their pixels will allow.

HDR to one RAW as well as focus stacking to one RAW, all in camera, I'd like to see in firmware on the R5, let alone in future models. Pixel shift is something I'd like to see added as well, or to a new model.

Custom layouts of mode shooting screens should return like 5D4 had (custom quick controls). And more custom defaults and button/dial assignments should be possible.

One new thing I'd like to see is workflow macros: The ability to run a few actions in a row, similar to setting changing when you go to C1, C2, etc but even more capable. For example when shooting astro landscape, I need to take foreground and star shots, and the setup is several steps, some of which coulc be automated. Focusing and blending of such shots may eventually be possible in camera, although probably a bit of a pipe dream for a long while. For a R1, a good start to that road of more automation of tedious tasks, would be enhanced custom menus and controls that eliminate menu burrowing and clicks/turns of buttons even further. General ergonomic streamlining all over the menus and controls.

Intervalometer: more controls, more trigger events, exposure ramping of all types in camera via JPG or sensor analysis internally. This would be a timelapse dream to eliminate external advanced intervalometers that are a pain to drag around and hookup.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

SteveC

R5
CR Pro
Sep 3, 2019
  1. I want at least 100MP.
  2. Global sensor readout.
  3. Even smaller body, maybe just snaps onto my cell phone.
  4. 16K video w/ unlimited shooting or else Canon is doomed.
  5. Faster frame rate, its 2020 and 20 FPS is just sad.
  6. Even MORE overheating and hand warmer grips.
  7. I want an audio stream I can cue from a built in speaker where videographers whine endlessly about all the failings of the camera and brand so I can enjoy that soundtrack while out taking landscapes.
  8. Also I want a button that, when pressed, a real Sony video camera pops out of a hidden compartment and can also take incredible 12MP stills that are better than the 100MP stills. The Sony then bashes the Canon with a tiny hammer while shouting "cripple hammer" in a small robot voice.

As long as you're about it, have them stuff a trunk monkey in with that little Sony video camera. :D

• Haha
Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0