R6 view on laptop screen

Joules

doom
CR Pro
Jul 16, 2017
Hamburg, Germany
Unless you have a very specialized laptop that has an HDMI Input, you will need a capture card if you actually want to grab that output from the screen.

Depending on what exactly you want to do, you just may want to look into USB tethering or using the Canon Webcam utility. But I guess you atcually want the on screen info and control elements displayed in the LiveView?

Upvote 0
Unless you have a very specialized laptop that has an HDMI Input, you will need a capture card if you actually want to grab that output from the screen.

Depending on what exactly you want to do, you just may want to look into USB tethering or using the Canon Webcam utility. But I guess you atcually want the on screen info and control elements displayed in the LiveView?
I just want to be able to scroll through the photos on my SD card without taking the SD out of the camera. Was thinking it could be good way to sort through the deletes and the keepers and just use the controls on the camera to do that. Its scrolling through my photos on bigger screen but using the camera controls to do it is what im going for

Upvote 0

Joules

doom
CR Pro
Jul 16, 2017
Hamburg, Germany
I just want to be able to scroll through the photos on my SD card without taking the SD out of the camera. Was thinking it could be good way to sort through the deletes and the keepers and just use the controls on the camera to do that. Its scrolling through my photos on bigger screen but using the camera controls to do it is what im going for
Pretty niche use case, but if you really want to go through with it, search for HDMI USB Capture devices. Elgato is the name brand that is used widely across the game streaming community, but it is pricey and likely way overkill for what you are saying.

Unless you really prefer the camera controls that much over mouse and keyboard, I would suggest just using the cable or setting up something with wifi if removing the card is such a hassle. Or you need to capture your HDMI output anyway, or have other uses for such hardware that justify the expense.

Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011

Thunderbolt and USB-C works as HDMI. Most modern computers have at least one USB-C. Of course that means you need a cable that is camera HDMI to laptop USB-C or a USB-C dock/dongle with HDMI.

Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011
Hey folks. Im wanting to view the display from my R6 directly on my laptop screen exactly as it would show in the back LCD. Not sure exactly what cable im going to need in order to do this but im assuming its done with just an HDMI cable of sorts. Anybody know how this is done exactly?
Specifically what computer do you have?

Upvote 0
Pretty niche use case, but if you really want to go through with it, search for HDMI USB Capture devices. Elgato is the name brand that is used widely across the game streaming community, but it is pricey and likely way overkill for what you are saying.

Unless you really prefer the camera controls that much over mouse and keyboard, I would suggest just using the cable or setting up something with wifi if removing the card is such a hassle. Or you need to capture your HDMI output anyway, or have other uses for such hardware that justify the expense.
I imagined it would been a bit more straight forward. Im just so use to the interface on the camera. Particularly usefel for deleting RAW+JPEG simultaneously

Upvote 0
Thunderbolt and USB-C works as HDMI. Most modern computers have at least one USB-C. Of course that means you need a cable that is camera HDMI to laptop USB-C or a USB-C dock/dongle with HDMI.
"camera HDMI to laptop USB-C " well that could be the ticket if you think it would work. Is that a hunch you have or do you know for certain that it would work?

Upvote 0

Joules

doom
CR Pro
Jul 16, 2017
Hamburg, Germany
It depends on the age and model of the USB-C port. But I believe all USB-C variants are HDMI capable.
USB-C is just a form factor. Carrying video signals is not a given, that depends on what is actually under the hood. Certainly you are right in that Thunderbolt carries video and you can also output display port over USB-C on many devices.

But using a straight adapter to ingest an HDMI signal? That sounds really interesting, but is absolute news to me and a quick Google search has turned up nothing that suggests to me this would work. Unless you are talking about the HDMI capture 'adapters' that I mentioned previously.

According to the web (!) https://technave.com/gadget/ASUS-Ze...onvenient-laptop-for-working-adults-8428.html that model has a regular full sized HDMI port. So all you need is an HDMI micro to HDMI full size.
An HDMI Port on a regular graphics card is output only. As is the one one the camera. So you would just end up connecting two outputs, resulting in nothing of value being transmitted.

Upvote 0
Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011
Okay, yes that looks about right. Thanks for the feed back, ill report back to here once i make some progress
Like joules says, maybe I am wrong. 100% Thunderbolt (which your computer has) supports HDMI into the laptop, but if that allows your laptop screen to effectively become a dumb screen I couldn’t say.

Upvote 0
Depending how 'exact' you want it, another option is to use the EOS Utility, Camera Connect, EOS Remote, DSLR Controller, or some other remote program (windows/android) that lets you live view thru WiFi or Bluetooth. Might not be the same quality or as fast as HDMI... but it's way more convenient wireless.
Connect, EOS Remote, DSLR Controller are Apps will not work on windows , EOS Utility is not wireless unless there is a new one I don't know about.

Upvote 0

Bdbtoys

R5
CR Pro
Jul 16, 2020
Connect, EOS Remote, DSLR Controller are Apps will not work on windows , EOS Utility is not wireless unless there is a new one I don't know about.

EOS Utility has direct Wifi (I just tried it before posting and it worked well).
The Android Apps can be ran on windows thru Bluestacks (or on tablet...if that is a better option for the OP).
There was another really good one that was a similar name to one of the apps that ran natively on Windows... I'll go see if I can dig it up (edit... it's Helicon Remote).

The point I was trying to make was that there are wireless options...

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Mar 25, 2011
Use Canon utilities to not only view but to control it. A USB-C for the camera end with whatever USBend matches your laptop is easy, but you can use wifi as well.

It just takes me seconds to connect my camera to my pc and start up canon utilities 3. Then I can display what's on the LCD and control the camera and settings as well as capture images. I did it just now and pointed it at my monitor at /16 just to get a little depth of field. I expect it added noise.

canon util resized..jpg

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0