Reasons to get a ST-E3-RT?

Jan 13, 2013
Hi,

I have 4 600EX RT speedlights + Elinchrom strobes (which I am triggering optically). Is there any reason I should get a ST-E3-RT transmitter? Does it offer any functionality which my non-firing 600 will not provide?

I'm getting a great deal on the ST-E3-RT which seems too good to miss. I'm only concerned whether it will actually be useful of will simply end up as unused gear.

Best regards ... J.R.

PS: I did own the ST-E3-RT at one point of time (part of 2 600s kit) but there was a local guy at the photography club who bought it from me for pretty much the full price the day it arrived. I'm getting one now used, at roughly half the price.

Four lights and the transmitter is enough to get shots like the one attached; I got mine second-hand also and I don't feel bad about owning it rather than another light. A 1Dx and a 70-200 is heavy enough as it is. I guess the question is whether or not you need on-camera light for what you do.

Jim

Attachments

• Bullriding.jpg
    Bullriding.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 935
Upvote 0

BL

Great gear is good. Good technique is better.
Jan 3, 2011
If you are handholding, and don't need IR assist, ST-E3 for sure. The 600 on top of the camera is awkward and not very balanced, especially in portrait orientation when handholding.

But if you need IR assist, or if you are primarily studio on a tripod, I don't see why you'd ever need an ST-E3 over a 600 imo.

That said, I'm like you and have 4x 600s, shooting mostly studio at the moment, but I still prefer the ST-E3 because the 600 sitting on top of my 1Dx with a 70-200 is just a handful.

Upvote 0

Quasimodo

Easily intrigued :)
Feb 5, 2012
Oslo, Norway
www.500px.com
I just sold my 430EX II, 580EX II and the ST-E2 to my father in law. This in preparation to buy the two 600EX RT plus the ST-E3 at B&H (two thirds of the price in Norway) next week (Yeah.. I finally get to visit the store I have been wanting to see for many years).

I hear you about the weight, but the main reason for me is that with the two 600*s plus the one I have already, the ST-E3 liberates me from having it on the camera.

Side question: I am looking at the Stofen bouncer, and it costs the same as a brand called Velio? I have a Stofen from before on my existing 600, is the Velio better?

Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011
Quasimodo said:
I just sold my 430EX II, 580EX II and the ST-E2 to my father in law. This in preparation to buy the two 600EX RT plus the ST-E3 at B&H (two thirds of the price in Norway) next week (Yeah.. I finally get to visit the store I have been wanting to see for many years).

I hear you about the weight, but the main reason for me is that with the two 600*s plus the one I have already, the ST-E3 liberates me from having it on the camera.

Side question: I am looking at the Stofen bouncer, and it costs the same as a brand called Velio? I have a Stofen from before on my existing 600, is the Velio better?

Ask B&H about duty free export purchases, they used to do them if you had a passport and ticket out of the country, but that was years ago, it might save you the USA tax though.

The Stofen and Vello are the same thing, a milk carton bottom. They are just diffusion material, nothing clever, Vello is B&H's own name brand.

Upvote 0

Quasimodo

Feb 5, 2012
Oslo, Norway
www.500px.com
privatebydesign said:
Quasimodo said:

Ask B&H about duty free export purchases, they used to do them if you had a passport and ticket out of the country, but that was years ago, it might save you the USA tax though.

The Stofen and Vello are the same thing, a milk carton bottom. They are just diffusion material, nothing clever, Vello is B&H's own name brand.

Thanks for the tip, I will sure ask them :) I will also ask them about whether there are any issues about using the radiosystem in Europe, since I have heard that the radio frequency in the US are different that what is used in Europe.

Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011
Some European countries allow it, some don't. But you are OK, Norway is a yes.

This is the original Canon listing, these are the allowed countries, but I believe it has since been opened up some more, or rather, the classification of the flash has allowed it in more countries.

P.S. My experience of B&H is that they play 100% by the rules, if you tell them you are going to use it outside the allowable area they will not sell to you. I used to live in the Caribbean and believe it or not all Epson products are forbidden from export, as are/were Apple laptops, go figure.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2014-04-06 at 12.01.54 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2014-04-06 at 12.01.54 PM.png
    113.9 KB · Views: 840
Upvote 0

Quasimodo

Feb 5, 2012
Oslo, Norway
www.500px.com
privatebydesign said:

This is the original Canon listing, these are the allowed countries, but I believe it has since been opened up some more, or rather, the classification of the flash has allowed it in more countries.

P.S. My experience of B&H is that they play 100% by the rules, if you tell them you are going to use it outside the allowable area they will not sell to you. I used to live in the Caribbean and believe it or not all Epson products are forbidden from export, as are/were Apple laptops, go figure.

great news, and thanks alot :)

Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011
IsaacImage said:
Without AF assist ST-e3 is useless for me.
Don't see any reason to buy it.
There is Yongnuo version of ST-e3 with AF assist but you can use it with a central AF point only

Says who? I have a YN-E3-RT and it works with plenty of AF points. The AF beam pattern is pretty big though it doesn't change like the 600-EX-RT one does depending on which AF point you are using. But the situations where I need AF assist, and couldn't use some on camera fill or bounce are almost zero.

There are plenty of situations where you can be remote flash shooting and the ambient not require AF assist, that is the reason for it.

Upvote 0
Jan 13, 2013
Thanks for the replies.

I got a used transmitter for about 40% of the price of a new one. The previous owner had managed to get a couple of scratches on the LCD which helped me bargain and bring down the price substantially.

For the price I paid, I feel this is a great accessory which has freed up one of my flashes which was consigned to be used as a non-firing master. Not sure if buy one new.

Cheers ... J.R.

Upvote 0

Marsu42

Canon Pride.
Feb 7, 2012
Berlin
der-tierfotograf.de
First to the op: Another reason for the st-e3 beyond light/small is that it's cheaper, meaning less things can break and need servicing (think "dropping your camera").

privatebydesign said:

That's because these rich oil diggers aren't part of the EU :p ... for the European Union, you have to pay taxes and customs. For Germany it's <22€ free, <150€ vat only, >150€ vat+customs.

IsaacImage said:
There is Yongnuo version of ST-e3 with AF assist but you can use it with a central AF point only

Ugh? I just got the YN-E3-RT and you nearly never can use it with the central AF point as it projects the red stripes right next to the point. Multipoint af works better, but alas, is also useless with the 6d's mediocre outer af points. I'm really puzzled, am I doing something wrong here?

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
Marsu42 said:
Ugh? I just got the YN-E3-RT and you nearly never can use it with the central AF point as it projects the red stripes right next to the point. Multipoint af works better, but alas, is also useless with the 6d's mediocre outer af points. I'm really puzzled, am I doing something wrong here?

Probably the projection grid in your YN-E3-RT is misaligned. Can you return/exchange it?

FWIW, my OEM Canon ST-E3-RT has no problems with a misaligned AF assist grid. :p :p :p

Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011
neuroanatomist said:
Marsu42 said:

Probably the projection grid in your YN-E3-RT is misaligned. Can you return/exchange it?

FWIW, my OEM Canon ST-E3-RT has no problems with a misaligned AF assist grid. :p :p :p

I don't think there is an alignment spec at Yongnuo, it goes where it fits, if it doesn't fit push it harder seems to be the QC ethic.

I blow hot and cold on it, it does some stuff well but the truth is at $100 difference you really can see where that $100 goes and most people would be far better off getting the $100 more expensive ST-E3-RT.

Upvote 0

Marsu42

Canon Pride.
Feb 7, 2012
Berlin
der-tierfotograf.de
privatebydesign said:
neuroanatomist said:
I don't think there is an alignment spec at Yongnuo, it goes where it fits, if it doesn't fit push it harder seems to be the QC ethic.

Doh, I can get it exchanged or even returned and I still would like the Yn because of the af assist if it works.

Edit: I've found the cause, it's an issue on all Yn units, read more about it in the neighboring thread: http://www.canonrumors.com/forum/index.php?topic=18534.msg385243#msg385243

Upvote 0

JonAustin

Telecom / IT consultant and semi-pro photographer
Dec 10, 2012
Horseshoe Bay, TX
IsaacImage said:
Without AF assist ST-e3 is useless for me. Don't see any reason to buy it.

Same here. I have 4 600's, because I do fair amount of in-studio portraiture with two lights on the subject and one on the background. (The 4th 600 is the non-firing master.) That said, the camera / master flash are tripod-mounted, so weight and balance are non-issues.

I would only consider purchasing an ST-E3-RT if I could get it for a "steal."

Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011
JonAustin said:
IsaacImage said:
Without AF assist ST-e3 is useless for me. Don't see any reason to buy it.

Same here. I have 4 600's, because I do fair amount of in-studio portraiture with two lights on the subject and one on the background. (The 4th 600 is the non-firing master.) That said, the camera / master flash are tripod-mounted, so weight and balance are non-issues.

I would only consider purchasing an ST-E3-RT if I could get it for a "steal."

Then why is your studio so dark AF doesn't work? There is absolutely no need for that what so ever, having said that I struggle with the ST-E3-RT when tripod mounted sometimes as all the screen and controls are on the top!

Upvote 0