recommend me a backpack

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

s-photographer

I personally love KATA bags. I like Lowepro too. I get deals on both with where I work but I ended up choosing Kata for the most part. I'm still using the R-104 bag with the T-214 Torso and waste pack to make a whole carrying system. They've lasted through a TON so I haven't had to upgrade to any new bags yet. Sidenote, hard case wise, you can never ever go wrong with Pelican. LOVE their stuff. Just my two cents, and what I use personally.

Upvote 0

dr croubie

Too many photos, too little time.
Jun 1, 2011
unfocused said:
Okay, what do you NOT like about your backpack?

OK, the main problem I have with my Lowepro 350AW is the form-factor.
You have to set it down on the ground or table and open up the front flap like a suitcase to get at all the goodies (lenses) inside. I'm getting quicker, if I know exactly where in my bag a lens is, I can just unzip half a side and fumble and pull, which I can do while it's on my shoulder.
Same with getting the camera in and out, I can do that just with the bottom on the ground and unzipping the top-part, no need to lay it down and open the whole flap.
Laying down the whole thing on the ground is also the best way to get dirt/mud all over the side that's against your back, and the shoulder straps (I never hike with my camera in good clothes though).

So those bags where the camera sits at the bottom of the bag, horizontally, and you can just slip the camera out without taking the whole backpack off would be a bit more useful for rapid-fire situations. But I looked at them when buying and decided against them, I didn't think they would pack as much stuff in as well.

Also, another annoyance with my Lowepro is that one I take a lens off and swap it, say from my huge 70-300L with hood and put on a niftyfifty, there's no room for my 70-300L in the pocket that the niftyfifty came out of. That's entirely my fault though, I should learn to pack in 'space' for the lens that's on the camera to swap-out...

Upvote 0
U

UncleFester

Canon 14-24 said:
I have the ThinkTank Streetwalker Harddrive.

I use it store my 15.4" notebook, though in doing so I have to lift up the hinge at the top to make room for the notebook. This results in limited height in the camera equipment compartment in particular with the dslr body. I currently have the 5d2 without a grip so it fits fine, but a pro dslr body or with grip I can imagine it might bulge out at the top or hard to fit/zipper in. It's something you may have to personally try out with the bag and your notebook.

Besides that issue, it should easily fit all your other gear and room for more such as an external hard drive, adapter/converters, etc. It is pretty deep in the camera department (except at the top) and you can fit your 24-105 with lens hood on probably standing up to make for more room.

I love the bag though, it's been very comfortable with the padded features on shoulder and back. I've used it for hikes and overseas travel with no issue for carry-on international flights in storing it the overhead bins or underneath the seat. I do miss the Lowepro feature of opening the bag from the inside though as I am paranoid walking around in crowds with people easily able to open it from the outside.

+1000. I hate backpacks and researched all options for over a month before deciding on the Harddrive. I have a closet full of backpacks I just can't stand but the ThinkTank I really like a lot. Very comfortable (like you said) and stays put when I kneel or lean. The laptop pocket is super padded and balanced so well I sometimes forget I have it with me.

ThinkTank Streetwalker is not a gimmicky bag. It just works.

BTW, the zippers all have holes to slide a small lock through. Plus ThinkTank sells cable locks if you already haven't built your own

Upvote 0
Canon Rumors said:
I can only recommend the Gura Gear Kiboko 22L... it'll be the last backpack you buy, unless you get a 600 or 800.. then you'll need a Kiboko 30L

http://www.guragear.com

Gura gear must really pay extraordinary high amounts of money for every click leading from canonrumors to their website - Canon Guy isn't missing a single chance to advertise. :D

Upvote 0
I had the same crisis when deciding my overseas trip backpack. I was torn between the new kata model and Crumpler's Karachi outpost (the one that holds the 17-inch laptop).

I ended up getting the Karachi outpost.

While it loses to kata's model in terms of weight and comfort, there's one thing it beats it by - security. There is no 'outward zippers' to the main compartment of your backpack (the opening side of the flap is in contact your back, so you'll feel it when someone tries to dabble with the zippers - unless they knife through the bag).

Of course, it's designed for carrying, so there's no easy access to your equipment. But again, when I'm in foreign grounds, I'd rather spend time to make sure that everything of value is back into my bag before I move on to take the shot.

PS: My Karachi outpost is made in China, not Australia.

Upvote 0
K

KeithR

smirkypants said:
Can anyone recommend a backback that'll fit a 1D4 + 300mm 2.8 attached?
I use a Lowepro Flipside 400 for my gripped 7D/2x TC/Sigma 120-300mm f/2.8 (and it's a comfortable, not a forced, fit), so your 1D MK IV and 300mm f/2.8 won't be a problem.

A decent amount of room left too, and yet the bag itself is compact and manageable - much smaller than the Pro Trekker 400, for example, and a damn' sight cheaper.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.