Recommendations for first TS lens? Also, think there will be a RF version of TS's coming out?

Jul 21, 2010
The 24 is a great one to start with, IMO. But really, it depends on what you plan to shoot. For me, it’s mainly architecture with TS lenses, I use the 24 more in the US and the 17 more in Europe where spaces around large buildings are tighter.

I doubt we’ll see an RF TS-E anytime soon. With the 17, the drop-in filter RF mount adapter is great, much easier than the 145mm filters I used to carry for the 17.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011
Can't agree with Neuro more on this. Even if native RF TS-E's were made the advantages using EF ones on the R via adapters makes a lot of sense. I have dropped the idea of a 5DSr in favor of waiting for the high MP R to do exactly that with.

Neuro, how and where did you sell the Wonderpana? I suppose I need to list mine!

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
Neuro, how and where did you sell the Wonderpana? I suppose I need to list mine!
I haven’t yet. I may not, actually. Although I haven’t done so with TS-E 17, with the 24mm I have occasionally stacked a CPL onto the ND, and that's something one cannot do with the drop-in. Here's an example from Luzern, Switzerland with the TS-E 24:

"Kapellbrücke"

EOS 1D X, TS-E 24mm f/3.5L II, 30 s, f/5.6, ISO 100 (10-stop ND + CPL)

• Love
Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0

cayenne

CR Pro
Mar 28, 2012
I haven’t yet. I may not, actually. Although I haven’t done so with TS-E 17, with the 24mm I have occasionally stacked a CPL onto the ND, and that's something one cannot do with the drop-in. Here's an example from Luzern, Switzerland with the TS-E 24:

"Kapellbrücke"

EOS 1D X, TS-E 24mm f/3.5L II, 30 s, f/5.6, ISO 100 (10-stop ND + CPL)

Wow...great image!!

Ok, thanks...lots of food for thought here. I'll start researching the 17mm a bit more to see how it stacks up to the 24.

I'll likely try renting them both before I actually make purchase.....but been watching a lot of YouTube on TS lenses and they look fun to experiment with....

C

Upvote 0

cayenne

CR Pro
Mar 28, 2012
As @Viggo pointed out, if you have a 1.4x TC you can put it behind the TS-E 17 and get to 24mm with good IQ. TDP has ISO 12233 tests of the 1.4x and 2x combos (focal length popup menu).

Hmm...that's something to consider...would kind of be like two lenses for price of one....or well, sort of...haha.

I don't have a 1.4x TC , but have thought about buying one or a 2x TC....to help my 70-200 2.8 be more able to reach out and touch someone.....so, getting a TC would be a nice thing to do.

Would a 2x TC work well also on the 17mm TS lens?

Thank you for all the feedback,

cayenne

Upvote 0