Replacement for the Canon XF305 around the corner [CR1]

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
We were told a short while ago that Canon would only be announcing a pro broadcast camcorder ahead of IBC 2018, which begins later this week. That still appears to be the case.
Apparently, the camera is aimed at being a replacement for the Canon XF305 and focused on broadcasters. The camera will shoot 4K at 60 in 4:2:2: 10bit. Interestingly, the camera will also add a  third control ring to control the IRIS.
The lens will be a 15x zoom L series lens, which would be a shorter zoom range than the XF305’s current 18x zoom.

Continue reading...

I'm actually kind of shocked, as my Euro sources have been RATHER INSISTENT with their specifications about an XC-15 upgrade with a replaceable lens. At least they were correct on the 4k 60 fps 4:2:2 which means Canon is FINALLY starting to get serious about colour sampling and higher image quality. I do suspect that an XC-15 upgrade IS coming PROBABLY at CES-2019 in January....UNLESS they want to make sure they get 10 bit 4:2:2 1080p 120 fps right which means NAB 2019 which I think is a bit too late to the game.

Again if THIS is the ONLY thing they are bringing to IBC/PhotoKina, then I'm more than just kinda disappointed!

Oh Well !!! SEE YA NEXT YEAR !!!!!!

Upvote 0
Jul 31, 2018
I'm actually kind of shocked, as my Euro sources have been RATHER INSISTENT with their specifications about an XC-15 upgrade with a replaceable lens. At least they were correct on the 4k 60 fps 4:2:2 which means Canon is FINALLY starting to get serious about colour sampling and higher image quality. I do suspect that an XC-15 upgrade IS coming PROBABLY at CES-2019 in January....UNLESS they want to make sure they get 10 bit 4:2:2 1080p 120 fps right which means NAB 2019 which I think is a bit too late to the game.

Again if THIS is the ONLY thing they are bringing to IBC/PhotoKina, then I'm more than just kinda disappointed!

Oh Well !!! SEE YA NEXT YEAR !!!!!!
It's just a CR1 rumor.

Upvote 0
Aug 26, 2015
A new XC15 model with interchangeable lenses would require
new glass for its 1-inch sensor, no?

Can't see them designing this thing with an EF mount
and hit their other camera lines, specially the R line.
It would have a Super 35mm of course just like all their Cinema cameras (I know, except the C700)

But there is also a built-in switchable focal reducer (Speed Booster) patent to give you close to FF field of view with a smaller sensor video camera with EF lenses...

Upvote 0
Jul 31, 2018
This is odd, given that the XF405 was actually announced last year at IBC if I remember correctly.

*corrected*. Looks like a XF705, which looks like a true successor to the XF305 is coming:
https://www.canonwatch.com/this-is-an-image-of-the-canon-xf-705-to-be-announced-soon/
That's a bummer. I was truly excited for a cinema body that have way less foot print (and interchangeable lenses). Looks Canon is too much afraid to hurt cinema like aka c200 and above at any cost. It's their golden eggs apparently.

Upvote 0
Jul 31, 2018
I mean, an XC20 is still possible down the line (I'm looking forward to one as a b-cam for my C300 M2 and to compliment my XC15.)

But I can see the need for the XF705, as I used the XF305 for years working in broadcast.
What I really want is a c100 mkIII, or a c150, doesn't matter. Basically a c200 without raw and 10 bit 4:2:2 instead. Something to compete directly with bmpcc4k/gh5s.
But time passes and Canon acts more and more like an old dog with one single old bone.

Upvote 0
Again, I'm kinda disappointed if this is ALL they are going to announce during the IBC/Photokina timeframe. YES! The new XF-705 will be a GREAT Broadcast News / Live Events Coverage camera...BUT...for filmmakers this is a big letdown. I should note that it SEEMS something larger IS coming down the pipeline because MY Euro Sources lately have ONLY older news about an XC-15 upgrade with a replaceable lens. That means security is being clamped down by Canon and that usually indicates something larger in the upcoming weeks or months. Like maybe even a Mirrorless 1DxMk3?

In terms of use, the XF-705 is best for direct live streaming to the Internet (i.e. live Twitch/Gaming/Youtube Show broadcasts) , used for live sports coverage, reality show production, live theatre or musical events say in church services, high school musicals and semi-pro to pro singing groups, television news reporter standups (i.e. reporting live) and possibly for documentaries where you don't want a large shoulder mount camera to distract your talent/subjects.

AND YES! I have seen XF-series cameras used in actual filmmaking on low-budget TV pilots and festival circuit shorts, but you need to shoot at the highest bit-rates and/or record out live to an external recorder AND use really good lighting to make this work! For the price of probably between $3500 to $4500 US, I would rather use a Sony FS-7 rental for 4 weeks which would be a better production deal for modern cinema filmmaking!

So if you want to make your new reality show version of "Survival Preppers Colorado: Blasting Away at Three-Armed Zombies!" have at it and go buy this new Canon XF-705 camcorder!

Upvote 0
Apr 29, 2012
What I really want is a c100 mkIII, or a c150, doesn't matter. Basically a c200 without raw and 10 bit 4:2:2 instead. Something to compete directly with bmpcc4k/gh5s.
But time passes and Canon acts more and more like an old dog with one single old bone.

A c200 without RAW and internal 10bit 4:2:2 is basically a c300 mkii. Or at a push a Panny EVA1 (ef mount cinema camera with internal 10 bit 4:2:2).

No cinema camera competes with the GH5 - they have professional features like NDs and XLRs. And the GH5 and BMPCC4k are both smaller sensor cameras that are radically inferior to anything in the cinema EOS series in anything approaching low light. Which isn't an issue if you're lighting every shot (fiction) but totally is if you're not.

If you want a M4/3 camera for video go buy a GH5. Canon don't make them.

Upvote 0
A c200 without RAW and internal 10bit 4:2:2 is basically a c300 mkii. Or at a push a Panny EVA1 (ef mount cinema camera with internal 10 bit 4:2:2).

No cinema camera competes with the GH5 - they have professional features like NDs and XLRs. And the GH5 and BMPCC4k are both smaller sensor cameras that are radically inferior to anything in the cinema EOS series in anything approaching low light. Which isn't an issue if you're lighting every shot (fiction) but totally is if you're not.

If you want a M4/3 camera for video go buy a GH5. Canon don't make them.
Just a friendly amendment: the Gh5/5s do not have built-in ND filter and XLR unit is optional. Putting the AF issues aside, they are very capable small sensor cameras with lots of features that video-graphers like to have.

Upvote 0