Review - Canon EF 8-15 f/4L Fisheye

Status
Not open for further replies.
O

olderdog

I'm getting used to the lens after buying it a couple of months back and taking it with me on one extended trip. But I also took old reliable 15mm fish which has long been one of my favorite lenses. It's not that I use it every day, but when I wants a fisheye, it's what I wants.

It is oddly enough a lens that can be used with great subtlety --or none. Optically, I'd say the new lens is better, but not to the point I'd worry about using the lighter single length 15mm. (even small amounts of weight sometimes matter to the old arthritic guy). It introduces a bit more in options with the variable zoom and it promises to let me use it with the 1.6 crops and my full frame 5D3s. It's a welcome addition.

As it happens, it's my third fisheye of the kit. I have an 8mm Russian manual focus lens, that does the full 180 or very close. Not one of my favorites but useful in the past. My working kit when I worked at this professionally included an 8mm Nikon for the Nikon F in 1963 or so. It paid for itself, the biggest problem was avoiding ad work for art directors who were on the wave with it -- something that happened after the late George Silk's sailing photography that including fish eyes afloat.

Upvote 0

JonAustin

Telecom / IT consultant and semi-pro photographer
Dec 10, 2012
Horseshoe Bay, TX
Upvote 0
ondrahanus said:
Hi there, can I see samples with this lens with 1D IV
I can not imagine pictures on crop 1,3
or at leat explanation how it looks like.
thank you ...
OH
1.3x does not change the result significantly:

Attachments

• 1D4_5625-.jpg
    1D4_5625-.jpg
    256.8 KB · Views: 1,109
  • 1D4_5636-.jpg
    1D4_5636-.jpg
    238.8 KB · Views: 1,100
  • 1D4_5653-.jpg
    1D4_5653-.jpg
    286.3 KB · Views: 1,273
  • 1D4_5665-.jpg
    1D4_5665-.jpg
    228.2 KB · Views: 1,267
Upvote 0
nickorando said:
Daniel Flather said:
Your review is the first one not to complain about the hood and lens cap. I find the them fine, others seem to have issues.

In all honesty, bad though the cap/hood is, I had loads of problems with the cap on my 15mm f2.8 - it was forever falling off.

What he said.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.