Review: Canon EOS R6 by DPReview

Jack Douglas

CR for the Humour
Apr 10, 2013
Alberta, Canada
the most compelling reason for 8k now this year 2020 that I've heard.
This is only true if the AF is up to focusing in the time allotted. 1/20 is 50 ms and that happens to be Canon's quoted maximum speed of focus but with what lens? I'll be shocked and very pleased if I can get sharp photos in a scenario with 20 fps and 400 DO II X2 III. The 1DX2 has never consistently been able to do that at 4K30 and certainly not at 4K60. I will never come on CR complaining about what I consider to be very challenging expectations but I'll surely be singing praises if it's that good.

Now if the situation is not so challenging then a couple seconds of 8K30 could generate some very nice photos, no doubt. Even if 1/10 were in focus that would be very valuable. And 10 seconds of a beautiful scene could generate some amazing video with panning and zooming and still super resolution. But what do we hear - complaints that you can't shoot an hour of it. All the whining and grizzling about the R5 tells far more about the personalities than the camera. ;)

Jack

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
I agree. Having the AF directly on the sensor improves things significantly. My 5DIV was never as accurate as my EOS R is now... and that's after it was cleaned and calibrated by Canon service a couple of times..
I calibrate my 5DIV myself and have no complaints about its accuracy or reproducibility of focus. It's as good focussing through its OVF as using liveview, if not slightly more reliable.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

SteveC

R5
CR Pro
Sep 3, 2019
A few pages back people were comparing mirrorless to DSLR. I owned both the 6dmkii and the eos r.

The EoS R is streets ahead in everything barr battery life and that 6dmkii had a built in GPS. Image quality and autofocus are in a different league.

If the r5 is as much an upgrade over the 5div/eos r as the eos r was over the 6dmkii, itll be the camera to beat. Even tho it's not the king in terms of absolute mp (hat tip to Sony there), it brings a lot of features together in a way I dont think has been done before by any brand, and certainly not by canon.

I mean, 45mp stills at 20fps with full frame AF tracking??? Why is no one making a bigger deal out of this?

Everyone is just stuck on the 8k recording limit. Newsflash - you dont want to handle that much data. When 5mins recording will give you 150gb+ of footage you'll learn to spare the record button fairly fast.

Hold on now, you must not have got the memo in re: Rational thought is forbidden here.

Upvote 0
I'd wager a skilled user with a DSLR would get many more keepers than a less skilled user with MILC...

I agree wholeheartedly. That said, at least MY camera, the 70D, the autofocus system through the OVF for moving wildlife is sub-par. Anything that's "easier" for the camera to nail focus is a gimme, but for example I was shooting some loons yesterday. My keeper ratio was under 50%, and these are shots where the loon wasn't moving much, and my focus technique was the same for all shots. The camera just plain missed focus. It didn't miss by much, mind you, but enough to make the image soft. I am using the 100-400 II lens, and I have run the exact same lens on a mirrorless body during the same shoot, and the keeper ratio was easily double the 70D.

You may say that my skill is less than others which is undoubtedly true, but I have a hard time believing the equipment is not partially at fault. Otherwise how would two identically composed pictures shot the same way come out with different focus results?

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0

davidhfe

CR Pro
Sep 9, 2015
I'd agree with all of this having both the 6D MKII & the R which I hope to replace with the R5. Video doesn't really bother me; only ever use it for the odd clip on holiday for which i can use my phone anyway.

If the R6 had been 30 MP I'd go for that but I wonder if Canon have purposely made it 20 MP so that it doesn't take potential sales from the R5?

I think it's the reality of a shrinking camera market. Canon simply might not be able to afford to develop 3 new sensors at the same time. I'd guess that Canon is actively working on both a high res sensor for the "R5s" as well as a long-term solution for a higher mp "mid-range" sensor that's a better fit between 20 and 45.

• Love
Upvote 0
Aug 27, 2019
Why do think this is the case?
Cause they are adding this it everyone of their posts for days...

canon eos r5 vs r6 canon eos r5 vs r6 specs canon eos r5 vs sony a7riv canon eos r5 vs 5d mark iv canon eos r5 vs 1dx mark iii canon eos r5 review canon eos r5 price canon eos r5 official video canon eos r5 unboxing canon eos r5 camera canon eos r5 release date canon eos r5 footage canon eos r5 official canon eos r5 hands on canon eos r5 specs canon eos r5 peter mckinnon eos r5 eos r6 vs r5 canon eos r5 vs r6 canon eos r5 vs eos r5 stabilization canon eos r5 vs r6 canon eos r5 vs r6 specs canon eos r5 vs sony a7riv canon eos r5 vs 5d mark iv canon eos r5 vs 1dx mark iii canon eos r5 review canon eos r5 price canon eos r5 official video canon eos r5 unboxing canon eos r5 camera canon eos r5 release date canon eos r5 footage canon eos r5 official canon eos r5 hands on canon eos r5 specs canon eos r5 peter mckinnon eos r5 eos r6 vs r5 canon eos r5 vs r6 canon eos r5 vs eos r5 stabilization canon eos r5 vs r6 canon eos r5 vs r6 specs canon eos r5 vs sony a7riv canon eos r5 vs 5d mark iv canon eos r5 vs 1dx mark iii canon eos r5 review canon eos r5 price canon eos r5 official video canon eos r5 unboxing canon eos r5 camera canon eos r5 release date canon eos r5 footage canon eos r5 official canon eos r5 hands on canon eos r5 specs canon eos r5 peter mckinnon eos r5 eos r6 vs r5 canon eos r5 vs r6 canon eos r5 vs eos r5 stabilization canon eos r5 vs r6 canon eos r5 vs r6 specs canon eos r5 vs sony a7riv canon eos r5 vs 5d mark iv canon eos r5 vs 1dx mark iii canon eos r5 review canon eos r5 price canon eos r5 official video canon eos r5 unboxing canon eos r5 camera canon eos r5 release date canon eos r5 footage canon eos r5 official canon eos r5 hands on canon eos r5 specs canon eos r5 peter mckinnon eos r5 eos r6 vs r5 canon eos r5 vs r6 canon eos r5 vs eos r5 stabilization canon eos r5 vs r6 canon eos r5 vs r6 specs canon eos r5 vs sony a7riv canon eos r5 vs 5d mark iv canon eos r5 vs 1dx mark iii canon eos r5 review canon eos r5 price canon eos r5 official video canon eos r5 unboxing canon eos r5 camera canon eos r5 release date canon eos r5 footage canon eos r5 official canon eos r5 hands on canon eos r5 specs canon eos r5 peter mckinnon eos r5 eos r6 vs r5 canon eos r5 vs r6 canon eos r5 vs eos r5 stabilization canon eos r5 vs r6 canon eos r5 vs r6 specs canon eos r5 vs sony a7riv canon eos r5 vs 5d mark iv canon eos r5 vs 1dx mark iii canon eos r5 review canon eos r5 price canon eos r5 official video canon eos r5 unboxing canon eos r5 camera canon eos r5 release date canon eos r5 footage canon eos r5 official canon eos r5 hands on canon eos r5 specs canon eos r5 peter mckinnon eos r5 eos r6 vs r5 canon eos r5 vs r6 canon eos r5 vs eos r5 stabilization canon eos r5 vs r6 canon eos r5 vs r6 specs canon eos r5 vs sony a7riv canon eos r5 vs 5d mark iv canon eos r5 vs 1dx mark iii canon eos r5 review canon eos r5 price canon eos r5 official video canon eos r5 unboxing canon eos r5 camera canon eos r5 release date canon eos r5 footage canon eos r5 official canon eos r5 hands on canon eos r5 specs canon eos r5 peter mckinnon eos r5 eos r6 vs r5 canon eos r5 vs r6 canon eos r5 vs eos r5 stabilization canon eos r5 vs r6 canon eos r5 vs r6 specs canon eos r5 vs sony a7riv canon eos r5 vs 5d mark iv canon eos r5 vs 1dx mark iii canon eos r5 review canon eos r5 price canon eos r5 official video canon eos r5 unboxing canon eos r5 camera canon eos r5 release date canon eos r5 footage canon eos r5 official canon eos r5 hands on canon eos r5 specs canon eos r5 peter mckinnon eos r5 eos r6 vs r5 canon eos r5 vs r6 canon eos r5 vs eos r5 stabilization canon eos r5 vs r6 canon eos r5 vs r6 specs canon eos r5 vs sony a7riv canon eos r5 vs 5d mark iv canon eos r5 vs 1dx mark iii canon eos r5 review canon eos r5 price canon eos r5 official video canon eos r5 unboxing canon eos r5 camera canon eos r5 release date canon eos r5 footage canon eos r5 official canon eos r5 hands on canon eos r5 specs canon eos r5 peter mckinnon eos r5 eos r6 vs r5 canon eos r5 vs r6 canon eos r5 vs eos r5 stabilization canon eos r5 vs r6 canon eos r5 vs r6 specs canon eos r5 vs sony a7riv canon eos r5 vs 5d mark iv canon eos r5 vs 1dx mark iii canon eos r5 review canon eos r5 price canon eos r5 official video canon eos r5 unboxing canon eos r5 camera canon eos r5 release date canon eos r5 footage canon eos r5 official canon eos r5 hands on canon eos r5 specs canon eos r5 peter mckinnon eos r5 eos r6 vs r5 canon eos r5 vs r6 canon eos r5 vs eos r5 stabilization

Upvote 0

telemaque

Before Sunset
CR Pro
Nov 30, 2019

canon eos r5 vs r6 canon eos r5 vs r6 specs canon eos r5 vs sony a7riv canon eos r5 vs 5d mark iv canon eos r5 vs 1dx mark iii canon eos r5 review canon eos r5 price canon eos r5 official video canon eos r5 unboxing canon eos r5 camera canon eos r5 release date canon eos r5 footage canon eos r5 official canon eos r5 hands on canon eos r5 specs canon eos r5 peter mckinnon eos r5 eos r6 vs r5 canon eos r5 vs r6 canon eos r5 vs eos r5 stabilization canon eos r5 vs r6 canon eos r5 vs r6 specs canon eos r5 vs sony a7riv canon eos r5 vs 5d mark iv canon eos r5 vs 1dx mark iii canon eos r5 review canon eos r5 price canon eos r5 official video canon eos r5 unboxing canon eos r5 camera canon eos r5 release date canon eos r5 footage canon eos r5 official canon eos r5 hands on canon eos r5 specs canon eos r5 peter mckinnon eos r5 eos r6 vs r5 canon eos r5 vs r6 canon eos r5 vs eos r5 stabilization canon eos r5 vs r6 canon eos r5 vs r6 specs canon eos r5 vs sony a7riv canon eos r5 vs 5d mark iv canon eos r5 vs 1dx mark iii canon eos r5 review canon eos r5 price canon eos r5 official video canon eos r5 unboxing canon eos r5 camera canon eos r5 release date canon eos r5 footage canon eos r5 official canon eos r5 hands on canon eos r5 specs canon eos r5 peter mckinnon eos r5 eos r6 vs r5 canon eos r5 vs r6 canon eos r5 vs eos r5 stabilization canon eos r5 vs r6 canon eos r5 vs r6 specs canon eos r5 vs sony a7riv canon eos r5 vs 5d mark iv canon eos r5 vs 1dx mark iii canon eos r5 review canon eos r5 price canon eos r5 official video canon eos r5 unboxing canon eos r5 camera canon eos r5 release date canon eos r5 footage canon eos r5 official canon eos r5 hands on canon eos r5 specs canon eos r5 peter mckinnon eos r5 eos r6 vs r5 canon eos r5 vs r6 canon eos r5 vs eos r5 stabilization canon eos r5 vs r6 canon eos r5 vs r6 specs canon eos r5 vs sony a7riv canon eos r5 vs 5d mark iv canon eos r5 vs 1dx mark iii canon eos r5 review canon eos r5 price canon eos r5 official video canon eos r5 unboxing canon eos r5 camera canon eos r5 release date canon eos r5 footage canon eos r5 official canon eos r5 hands on canon eos r5 specs canon eos r5 peter mckinnon eos r5 eos r6 vs r5 canon eos r5 vs r6 canon eos r5 vs eos r5 stabilization canon eos r5 vs r6 canon eos r5 vs r6 specs canon eos r5 vs sony a7riv canon eos r5 vs 5d mark iv canon eos r5 vs 1dx mark iii canon eos r5 review canon eos r5 price canon eos r5 official video canon eos r5 unboxing canon eos r5 camera canon eos r5 release date canon eos r5 footage canon eos r5 official canon eos r5 hands on canon eos r5 specs canon eos r5 peter mckinnon eos r5 eos r6 vs r5 canon eos r5 vs r6 canon eos r5 vs eos r5 stabilization canon eos r5 vs r6 canon eos r5 vs r6 specs canon eos r5 vs sony a7riv canon eos r5 vs 5d mark iv canon eos r5 vs 1dx mark iii canon eos r5 review canon eos r5 price canon eos r5 official video canon eos r5 unboxing canon eos r5 camera canon eos r5 release date canon eos r5 footage canon eos r5 official canon eos r5 hands on canon eos r5 specs canon eos r5 peter mckinnon eos r5 eos r6 vs r5 canon eos r5 vs r6 canon eos r5 vs eos r5 stabilization canon eos r5 vs r6 canon eos r5 vs r6 specs canon eos r5 vs sony a7riv canon eos r5 vs 5d mark iv canon eos r5 vs 1dx mark iii canon eos r5 review canon eos r5 price canon eos r5 official video canon eos r5 unboxing canon eos r5 camera canon eos r5 release date canon eos r5 footage canon eos r5 official canon eos r5 hands on canon eos r5 specs canon eos r5 peter mckinnon eos r5 eos r6 vs r5 canon eos r5 vs r6 canon eos r5 vs eos r5 stabilization canon eos r5 vs r6 canon eos r5 vs r6 specs canon eos r5 vs sony a7riv canon eos r5 vs 5d mark iv canon eos r5 vs 1dx mark iii canon eos r5 review canon eos r5 price canon eos r5 official video canon eos r5 unboxing canon eos r5 camera canon eos r5 release date canon eos r5 footage canon eos r5 official canon eos r5 hands on canon eos r5 specs canon eos r5 peter mckinnon eos r5 eos r6 vs r5 canon eos r5 vs r6 canon eos r5 vs eos r5 stabilization canon eos r5 vs r6 canon eos r5 vs r6 specs canon eos r5 vs sony a7riv canon eos r5 vs 5d mark iv canon eos r5 vs 1dx mark iii canon eos r5 review canon eos r5 price canon eos r5 official video canon eos r5 unboxing canon eos r5 camera canon eos r5 release date canon eos r5 footage canon eos r5 official canon eos r5 hands on canon eos r5 specs canon eos r5 peter mckinnon eos r5 eos r6 vs r5 canon eos r5 vs r6 canon eos r5 vs eos r5 stabilization

THANKS.

I WILL DELETE THAN.

Upvote 0
Why would be a joke of a lens? It's a very good lens and lightweight. For most of the situations 1.8 is more than enough aperture and weight saving can be very valuable when traveling light(er). Nikon will have a brighter version too just like they will have an 50 1.2 soon.

Canon also made a joke lens recently, the 85 F2.
If i were DIRECTLY comparing the two, yes it a joke. Just like that Nikkon lens.

Upvote 0
I think plenty of people, that was a core reason to switch to mirrorless in the first place.
Some might not be happy about a 28-70mm f/2 or 50mm f/1.2 being significantly bigger and heavier than the 24-70mm f/2.8 50mm f/1.2 lenses that they've used before (but they are superior, as they should be)
The RF 70-200mm f/2.8 IS lens is unique in the RF world, because it is also significantly lighter and smaller while being even sharper, and some people are willing to pay for that privilege (even if it comes as an external zoom with a longer throw).
There will be more small lenses of course, but for people specifically looking for that, the RF system might not be the best right now.

A lot of people intend to mount these small cameras on gimbals to use for video, and again, the smaller, lighter, more balanced (maybe not bad to have more weight towards the back), the better.

Also, IBIS is big thing with these bodies and RF glass is the best choice for it, but they still need more native lenses, although they are addressing that in a rather timely manner, they have certainly caught up with specs in the mid-range category, they are only missing the 'true' flagship mirrorless camera and a high-megapixel model, which are under development.

Who cares about stupidity? Their no size desire was as inane then just like it is now. Your light weight RF 70-200 cant even use the extenders that were just release. You'd sacrifice photographic function because your wrists are weak? lol The entire idea behind the compact form function. Please deny that. Shameful.

• Haha
Upvote 0

telemaque

Before Sunset
CR Pro
Nov 30, 2019

Dear Ramage,

FYI, I have signaled all these videos to YOUTUBE yesterday night and discovered this morning they had been deleted...
Youtube did the job !

Thanks for your remark and together we can continue to have our Canon community not polluted by such people.

Great thanks and good day to you.

Upvote 0
Sep 17, 2014
Who cares about stupidity? Their no size desire was as inane then just like it is now. Your light weight RF 70-200 cant even use the extenders that were just release. You'd sacrifice photographic function because your wrists are weak? lol The entire idea behind the compact form function. Please deny that. Shameful.

Canon is likely a lot smarter and know their market better than you. And likely 99% of photographers prefer the much smaller size and weight of the 70-200 than the ability to add TC.

Upvote 0
Canon is likely a lot smarter and know their market better than you. And likely 99% of photographers prefer the much smaller size and weight of the 70-200 than the ability to add TC.

I was all ready to sell my EF 70-200 II to pick it up along with my R5 until I found out about that. I don't want it now. My freaking 10 year old lens has more photographic function that the state of the art just released because why? People wanting to be Zoolander. Absolutely shameful.

Upvote 0

puffo25

EOS R5 - Fine art landscape, travel,astro and pano
Jul 18, 2017
italy
Hi all, I am still struggling between which camera body to buy: R5 and R6. I do NOT care much about video nor about making large poster size prints... My main focus is to make landscape, fine art b&w, street photos, events, astro, milky way and panoramic images.
Friend of mine who is in the astro/night star trails and panoramic images strongly suggest me to buy the R6 since the R5 sensor is too big and larger files are either not necessary for that kind of pictures. He also think that the 20 megapixel sensor is much better than the 45 megapixels sensor for my various photo genre.
I am wondering if you also think that overall speaking, the R6 will be a better choice?
And in low light conditions do you think it will create cleaner and better files/ie less noise, than the R5?

Any feedback is much appreciated.
Andrea

Upvote 0

puffo25

EOS R5 - Fine art landscape, travel,astro and pano
Jul 18, 2017
italy
In my view, the R5 is the ultimate hybrid camera to this point in time—which includes the to-be-released Sony A7SIII. The R5 has compelling video formats (4K DCI 120fps 10-bit) a 45mp sensor, outstanding IBIS, great ergonomics and class leading AF. The R6 is NOT an R5!

Atlasman, Hi, you mean the R5 has a better AF than the R6? I thought they were the same... And about IBIS is the R5 any better than the R6?

Upvote 0