Review: Canon EOS Rebel SL2 / 200D / Kiss X9 by TDP

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
HTML:
The-Digital-Picture has completed their review of the brand new Canon EOS Rebel SL2/200D/Kiss X9, Canon’s smallest DSLR. The original SL1 was slow to gain acceptance, but once it did, it became a favourite among professional, prosumer and consumer DSLR buyers.</p>
<p><strong>From TDP:</strong></p>
<blockquote><p>I know, you’ve been wanting to ask the question since hearing the model name of this camera. What does the “SL” in the SL2 model name mean? Canon’s official answer is: “It doesn’t have a meaning”. I hate to leave you disappointed, so … consider SL to mean “Small” and “Light” as those are hallmarks of this camera.</p>
<p>The Canon EOS Rebel SL2 / 200D is a small and light camera that is easy to take with you everywhere. If you always have a camera available, you are going to get images that were not otherwise possible. And getting an image in the first place is always an advantage.</p>
<p>Still, this camera does not make you give up the features and image quality you love. You get a comfortable-to-use grip that is adequately-sized to provide solid control of the camera. You get a TTL optical viewfinder and fast phase-detection AF along with the excellent Dual Pixel AF system that performs extremely well including during video capture. <a href="http://www.the-digital-picture.com/Reviews/Canon-EOS-Rebel-SL2.aspx">Read the full review</a></p></blockquote>
<p><strong>Canon EOS Rebel SL2 Body</strong></p>

<ul>
<li><strong>USA $549</strong>: <a href="https://bhpho.to/2tnch8x">B&H Photo</a> | <a href="http://amzn.to/2trhlcc">Amazon</a> | <a href="https://mpex.com/canon-eos-rebel-sl2-dslr-camera-body-only.html?acc=3">Midwest Photo</a></li>
<li><strong>UK £579:</strong> <a href="http://www.awin1.com/cread.php?awinaffid=292297&awinmid=6241&p=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.parkcameras.com%2Fp%2F1011093E%2Fdigital-slr-cameras%2Fcanon%2Feos-200d-dslr-camera-body-in-black">Park Cameras</a> | <a href="http://www.awin1.com/cread.php?awinaffid=292297&awinmid=2298&p=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.wexphotographic.com%2Fcanon-eos-200d-digital-slr-body-1630562%2F">WEX Photographic</a></li>
</ul>
<p><strong>Canon EOS Rebel SL2 w/18-55mm f/4-5.6 IS STM</strong></p>
<ul>
<li><strong>USA $699</strong>: <a href="https://bhpho.to/2s3Y9Nl">B&H Photo</a> | <a href="http://amzn.to/2trB23Z">Amazon</a> | <a href="https://mpex.com/canon-eos-rebel-sl2-dslr-camera-with-18-55mm-lens.html?acc=3">Midwest Photo</a></li>
<li><strong>UK £679:</strong> <a href="http://www.awin1.com/cread.php?awinaffid=292297&awinmid=6241&p=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.parkcameras.com%2Fp%2F1011095E%2Fdigital-slr-cameras%2Fcanon%2Feos-200d-dslr-camera-in-black-18-55mm-is-stm-lens-kit">Park Cameras</a> | <a href="http://www.awin1.com/cread.php?awinaffid=292297&awinmid=2298&p=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.wexphotographic.com%2Fcanon-eos-200d-digital-slr-camera-with-18-55mm-is-stm-lens-1631340%2F">WEX Photographic</a></li>
</ul>
<span id="pty_trigger"></span>
<div style="font-size:0px;height:0px;line-height:0px;margin:0;padding:0;clear:both"></div>

Tangent said:
From the review: "Basically, even though the SL2 resides near the bottom of the price list, it delivers noise performance equal to those near the top." How refreshing.
Well it's the same sensor as many of the last few more expensive APS-C SLRs and Ms, and the processor isn't far behind either. So it makes sense the basic image quality would be the same. Same thing Fuji does with their £500-800 bodies (same price bracket the 200D/SL2 is in). Keep the most essential guts the same, lose the fancier parts; better way to make cheaper, smaller bodies than the reverse.

Upvote 0

YuengLinger

Print the ones you love.
CR Pro
Dec 20, 2012
USA
While, in theory, it would be nice to have a camera this size that allows me to use my ef and ef-s lenses, I wouldn't want to use fast lenses.

According to TDP: "While it focuses very consistently (most important), the review camera I have been using unfortunately focuses slightly in front of its subjects and, with the AF Microadjustment feature not included in this model, this SL2 needs a visit to Canon Service (or exchanged). "

Yes, I've heard the assertion that this is not for fast lenses. So why would somebody wanting a small camera limit themselves? If they have the lenses, they have to put aside the fast ones. If they don't have the lenses but they want a small body, why not go with mirrorless and the associated native lenses?

I can, however, see its appeal to those who don't know about AFMA, don't even know about aperture, and that's a big market. Canon seems to be a company that does solid market research!

Upvote 0

magarity

CR Pro
Feb 14, 2017
YuengLinger said:
I can, however, see its appeal to those who don't know about AFMA, don't even know about aperture, and that's a big market. Canon seems to be a company that does solid market research!
Its much more likely AF problems are in the lens rather than the camera so AFMA is so you can get by until you can return a new lens or make do for a second hand one. If you get one of the Rebels you just need to test your lenses promptly and get them fixed if there is an AF problem. Keeping lenses with wompy AF and relying on AFMA keeps you from switching cameras easily.

Upvote 0

YuengLinger

Print the ones you love.
CR Pro
Dec 20, 2012
USA
magarity said:
YuengLinger said:
Its much more likely AF problems are in the lens rather than the camera so AFMA is so you can get by until you can return a new lens or make do for a second hand one. If you get one of the Rebels you just need to test your lenses promptly and get them fixed if there is an AF problem. Keeping lenses with wompy AF and relying on AFMA keeps you from switching cameras easily.

You might have a misunderstanding of production tolerances, changes that happen to lenses and bodies over time, and how thin depth of field is at f/1.4 - f/4 (and beyond in some cases).

There are several members on this forum who can explain the technical issues, but, for me, generally speaking, I'm very pleasantly surprised to buy a new lens that couldn't benefit from some AFMA.

If you do "fix" a lens for one camera by sending it to Canon, it might not play as well with another. That's what makes in-camera AFMA so great. The lens works great on any body which has had AFMA registered for that lens. And AFMA can be done in as little as five minutes per lens per body.

Btw, for the record, I'm very happy with my 80D.

Upvote 0
Never had any problems with PD AF via OVF on moderately fast lens 2.0 / 100 or macro lenses which are critical at smaller distances. But the 200D drove me nuts last weekend. Just trying to learn if it's me, the lens or the camera. Maybe it is the not-forgiving high resolution which makes small deviations much more visible.

Some impressions about the camera after one week of moderate use:

--- Internal flash is not able to trigger EX flashes. But ... the tiny 90EX does the job well (was an addition to the EOS M set)
--- no anti-smudge coating on the display - not a great problem but a little bit annoying for a touch screen centered device
--- no anti-reflex coating on the display - but it's bright which helps to overcome reflections.
--- viewfinder info sometimes a little bit too dim for me (I use glasses)

+ ergonomics of the grip: It makes it much easier to hold that camera compared to e.g. 600D
+ menus / user interface are very refined and for a long term canon user very easy to use
+ redundant access to functions via touch screen / wheel / multi-controller
+ rich information in playback mode including focal length with zooms
+ small size: Fits well in a standard lens compartment of a smaller backpack + light

+++ IQ for the smaller APS-C sensor in combination with DPP + diffraction correction especially with EF-S 2.8 60mm: clean sharp images up to 800 ASA with minor noise reduction (standard edit) or at 100 ASA if you increase the contrast of flat scenes strongly, roughly comparable to 5D classic.
+++ And yes, it has more latitude to develop high contrast scenes without getting to noisy.
+++ while the PD AF thru the OVF is later stone age, DPAF is absolutely great: Fast, precise, flexible. I will enjoy it for macro etc.
+++ small footprint with the EF 40mm which I like on APS-C much more than 22mm - similar to EOS M + adapter + shorty fourty
+++ aberration correction works with stills and video and can be configured (EF-S 10-22 has small distortion at 10mm, so no need to correct it in that department and lose brilliance)

+++++ double click (double touch?) on the preview shows directly 100% view of images, great to check sharpness of details.

Upvote 0

Busted Knuckles

Enjoy this breath and the next
Oct 2, 2013
Maiaibing said:
YuengLinger said:
Would never even consider getting a DSLR without AFMA...

SL2 - Not ever going to be the primary camera for someone on the sidelines of a sporting event. But DPAF for those precision focusing moments?

If you really want that precise focusing.... get an M5. No need for AFMA

Thinking this is a pretty cool little package.

Upvote 0

Talys

Canon R5
CR Pro
Feb 16, 2017
Vancouver, BC
Busted Knuckles said:
Maiaibing said:
YuengLinger said:

SL2 - Not ever going to be the primary camera for someone on the sidelines of a sporting event. But DPAF for those precision focusing moments?

If you really want that precise focusing.... get an M5. No need for AFMA

Thinking this is a pretty cool little package.

I suspect that most people who buy an SL2 won't own or attach lenses that have apertures wide enough that AFMA becomes a big deal. If you're attaching a 55-250 or 70-300 consumer lens and shooting at f/5.6... or stopped down to 6.3 or 8.0... *shrug*.

Just a different market. I always thought an SL2 would be nice in my glovebox. I have a t2i plus 18-135 nano in there now.

Upvote 0
Dec 11, 2015
Maiaibing said:
YuengLinger said:

I think for the folks that shoot @ f/5.6 it won't matter much. But I agree if they included AFMA that would be a terrific camera.

Upvote 0
magarity said:
YuengLinger said:

It's actually no sweat, so long as you just by Sigma and Tamron new glass. Just dock adjust to the SL1 and then use the Canon AFMA to adjust the other bodies to the adjusted lens. This has worked well for me for two SL1s over time. Sticking the 18-35 Art on an SL body is a powerful package. Great second body.

Upvote 0
Mar 25, 2011
I've had my SL2 for over a week now. AF with a fast lens is a bit off, but DPAF is excellent. Chances are that is the only way I will use it, basically as a mirrorless camera. I'm still running on the initial battery charge which amazes me, since I've been using it almost exclusively in live view, and even tethered it to my phone and controlled it that way.

My only gripe (Besides no AFMA) is that my fingers cramp from being jammed into the camera holding that small grip. I think I'll figure that out.

I want to try it using my 100-400L and solar filter just to see how it focuses. It would be tethered to my phone or tablet.

I paid $511, and am very happy with it for 1/6 the cost of my 5D MK IV.

Upvote 0
YuengLinger said:
While, in theory, it would be nice to have a camera this size that allows me to use my ef and ef-s lenses, I wouldn't want to use fast lenses.

According to TDP: "While it focuses very consistently (most important), the review camera I have been using unfortunately focuses slightly in front of its subjects and, with the AF Microadjustment feature not included in this model, this SL2 needs a visit to Canon Service (or exchanged). "

Yes, I've heard the assertion that this is not for fast lenses. So why would somebody wanting a small camera limit themselves? If they have the lenses, they have to put aside the fast ones. If they don't have the lenses but they want a small body, why not go with mirrorless and the associated native lenses?

For those that value size and weight highly (i.e. hikers), this camera fills a niche. SL2 + EF-S 24, EF 40 or a 50 STM, and that will be good enough in a small and light package.

Personally, I have a lot of heavy gear including fast lenses, so a M5 would be more appealing.

Upvote 0
james75 said:
Since the 6d2 is officially off my checklist, I may pick up one of these down the road to pair up with my 6d and to have a crop body for more reach. The specs seem to be pretty good, and i'll get to have a camera with a tilty screen. :D

Same here and that is one reason why I bought that camera. 80D is to large / heavy and doesn't give (much) better IQ sensor-wise. I will stay with 5D for a while for FF and maybe a FF mirrorless body is the next investment for landscape+macro, but also for re-use of FD glass i own.

Upvote 0
Jopa said:
Maiaibing said:
YuengLinger said:

I think for the folks that shoot @ f/5.6 it won't matter much. But I agree if they included AFMA that would be a terrific camera.

Wrong AF @ f/5.6 is a problem just with consumer tele and macro lenses ... on a 24 MPix APS-C body (would be 62 MPix on FF). f/5.6 is the "new 4.0 or 2.8" for these sensors. I think that SL2 might be some path from smart phone photography to SL2 to 6D to whatever - so it might matter for those who just want to see if a DSLR is better than a smart phone for photography.

And after some initial use of the SL2 I see some things with the AF I do not understand. I won't blame camera and/or lens for that. But having AFMA would NOW be great as an optional tool - so +1 for your statement, that AFMA would make it a terrific camera!

Upvote 0

YuengLinger

Print the ones you love.
CR Pro
Dec 20, 2012
USA
magarity said:
YuengLinger said:

It's actually no sweat, so long as you just by Sigma and Tamron new glass. Just dock adjust to the SL1 and then use the Canon AFMA to adjust the other bodies to the adjusted lens. This has worked well for me for two SL1s over time. Sticking the 18-35 Art on an SL body is a powerful package. Great second body.

Excellent point, so dSLR's without AF should continue to help Sigma sell more lenses. And maybe Canon will peddle its own version of a little USB docky thing?

Upvote 0