Review: Canon RF 100mm f/2.8L IS USM Macro

koenkooi

CR Pro
Feb 25, 2015
The Netherlands
Just got mine today from Amazon (preordered way back when they were listed). Was pissed as soon as I saw the UPS guy walk up... no outer box. Label was slapped right on the retail box and shipped that way. The box looked like it just came back from a warzone (It was dropped at least 3 times, as that is how many corners were heavily dented. One side rubbed almost raw from rubbing against crap). Opened it up and it 'looks' fine. I did a quick once over and no visible damage... then checked the elements and found a little dust on the rear (no biggie). Blew if off and a few spec's were actually on the inside (I know it's not a big deal, but it still bugs me to no end). I have yet to give it a good testing... but we will see. :mad:
I ordered mine from store.canon.nl and it came in a cardboard coloured box with nothing printed on the outside, only a shipping label slapped on. When opening it I discovered that the inside was printed with pictures and text by Canon. It felt like an inside-out box, the pretty stuff on the inside faces. And in that box was padding and the actual RF100 box.

I would've kept the outer box, but I sold the EF100L and I reused the box to ship that :)

Upvote 0

canonmike

EOS R6
CR Pro
Jan 5, 2013
Just got mine today from Amazon (preordered way back when they were listed). Was pissed as soon as I saw the UPS guy walk up... no outer box. Label was slapped right on the retail box and shipped that way. The box looked like it just came back from a warzone (It was dropped at least 3 times, as that is how many corners were heavily dented. One side rubbed almost raw from rubbing against crap). Opened it up and it 'looks' fine. I did a quick once over and no visible damage... then checked the elements and found a little dust on the rear (no biggie). Blew if off and a few spec's were actually on the inside (I know it's not a big deal, but it still bugs me to no end). I have yet to give it a good testing... but we will see. :mad:
Think I might just consider swapping it out for another copy before any return window closes.

Upvote 0

john1970

EOS R3
CR Pro
Dec 27, 2015
Northeastern US
Think I might just consider swapping it out for another copy before any return window closes.
Wow. That is the worst example of shipping through Amazon I have heard of in a while. Many years ago I purchased a Canon 1Dx MkII through Amazon and while it was boxed in an Amazon box, there was no padding or packing material. Moreover, the outside box was severely damaged so I returned it to Amazon without even opening the box.

Upvote 0

Bdbtoys

R5
CR Pro
Jul 16, 2020
I am seriously thinking of it. Amazon returns are effortless, so not worried about that. Right now it would be a challenge to get another copy. But I was expanding upon my lens collection... I never had a macro before so it's not too much to wait until they come available again if I decide to return.

Upvote 0

canonmike

EOS R6
CR Pro
Jan 5, 2013
I am seriously thinking of it. Amazon returns are effortless, so not worried about that. Right now it would be a challenge to get another copy. But I was expanding upon my lens collection... I never had a macro before so it's not too much to wait until they come available again if I decide to return.
Just don't want to see you have buyer's remorse down the road, Bdbtoys, potentially repeating the old adage, couldv'e, shouldv'e. Good luck with it.

Upvote 0

Bdbtoys

R5
CR Pro
Jul 16, 2020
Wow. That is the worst example of shipping through Amazon I have heard of in a while. Many years ago I purchased a Canon 1Dx MkII through Amazon and while it was boxed in an Amazon box, there was no padding or packing material. Moreover, the outside box was severely damaged so I returned it to Amazon without even opening the box.
Back when I ordered a playstation classic (i.e. the vintage gaming plug and plays) it was shipped the same way.. shipping label directly on the retail box. And that was considered a collectable item too.

There are some items where it's not a big deal... shipping label on a box of kitty litter... no problem. But there has to be some common sense on their part when not to do it.

You have to watch for the 'packaging may reveal contents' and choose to send in gift box option... because if you don't that's how you will get it.

I watch very closely to that, and know that wasn't there when I preordered.

Upvote 0

Bdbtoys

R5
CR Pro
Jul 16, 2020
Just don't want to see you have buyer's remorse down the road, Bdbtoys, potentially repeating the old adage, couldv'e, shouldv'e. Good luck with it.

Just wanted to give a quick update. It's going back. Although the speck isn't noticeable in 'normal' pictures... anything with medium to large size bokeh balls and it sticks out like a sore thumb (in every ball).

Upvote 0