Review - Do You Need or Want 50mp? Canon EOS 5DS R

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
HTML:
Dustin has completed the Canon Rumors review of the Canon EOS 5DS R, a camera that a lot of Canon photographers asked for and is probably the most polarizing DSLR in terms of need that I’ve ever come across.</p>
<p><strong>Do you need 50mp?</strong></p>
<blockquote><p>…. that is the conundrum of the 5DsR. It is a great camera, but it is also a niche one. If you need 50MP, it’s not only the best 35mm option; it’s currently the only one. But if you don’t really need 50MP, look elsewhere, as that amount of resolution comes with a cost. I suspect the biggest market for the Canon EOS 5Ds/5DsR twins will be in the bags of photographers who don’t use them as their sole cameras and are able to use them in the way they intended: special tools for specific jobs. <a href="http://www.canonrumors.com/reviews/review-canon-eos-5ds-r/">Read the full review</a></p></blockquote>
<p>I do want a high megapixel body and I like the 5DS and 5DS R, but I’m more interested in a camera with a larger than 35mm sensor. Hey Leica, howabout a 50-80mp S?</p>
<span id="pty_trigger"></span>

5DSR offers the following resolution choices:
RAW: 50Mp (60.5MB), 28Mp (44MB), 12Mp (29.8MB)
JPEG: 50Mp (14.1/7.0MB), 39Mp (10.9/5.5MB), 22Mp (7.1/3.5MB), 12Mp (4.5/2.3MB), 2.5Mp (1.2MB), 0.3Mp (0.3MB)
Source: User's Manual pg.151.

One can mostly be shooting 28Mp and 50Mp on special occasion or mostly 50Mp depending assignment. The notion of a 5D Mk. IV at max. 28Mp RAW shall offer another alternative.

Upvote 0
Dec 11, 2015
My first Canon camera (after having a bunch of Sonys, including the most recent A7r2) and I'm really impressed by it. Paired with a big white it's capable of producing incredible images. The AF is amazing and works very well in pretty much all conditions. The "processing power requirement" downside is questionable - I mostly use a 13" MPB (dual core) with 16GB of RAM and it works quite well, in spite of LR6 being a slow piece of garbage, I don't see much difference versus 36Mpx A7r or 42Mpx A7r2 files. Looking forward to see a 120Mpx camera from Canon :)

Upvote 0
From PC World (Sept.8, 2015):
"Canon's DSLR camera boasts an insane 120-megapixels
The camera has an EOS body and EF lens compatibility -- but Canon has no plans to sell it

Canon is developing a digital SLR camera with a sensor that boasts a resolution of about 120 megapixels.
That's more than double the resolution of Canon's 50.6-megapixel EOS 5DS and 5DS R models, which were announced in February as having world’s highest resolution for digital SLR 35mm full-frame sensors.

The super-dense CMOS sensor in the new prototype shooter is in the APS-H format and the camera would work with 60 of the 96 lenses in Canon's EF lineup. The sensor produces eye-popping images that can be printed as full-size posters, said Canon, which announced Monday that it has developed a 250-megapixel prototype sensor for extreme-resolution imaging.

The 120-megapixel camera outputs RAW image files with a data size of 232MB, nearly four times as big as the 60.5MB RAW files shot by the 5DS.

In 2010, Canon produced a 120-megapixel CMOS sensor as a technical challenge and it was never commercialized. Though it released a generic image of an EOS DSLR for the latest prototype camera, there are no immediate plans to commercialize it either.

"This camera was produced as an example of Canon's high-definition imaging capabilities," spokesman Richard Berger said via email. The new sensor can be considered an evolution of the 2010 one but it uses the latest fabrication technologies, he added".

BTW, 120Mp RAW, 232MB file?!
...do you (still) need or want 120Mp?

Upvote 0
Jun 12, 2015
I've had the 5Ds since last September. For most of my shots, I guess 12 megapixels would be more than enough. However, I've taken a couple of pictures with the 5Ds that I've printed in 120x80 cm, that look awesome. They wouldn't be that good with a 20 megapixel camera.

I'm an amateur taking pictures for personal use, mainly when hiking. In my situation, you never know when the next great motive+light appears, but when it does, those 50 megapixels are going to make you very happy.

Further, I view my pictures on a ~13 inch iPad Pro. It's incredible to have the opportunity to zoom in the way you can with pictures from the 5Ds. I understand most people may not view pictures like that, but I believe many will in the future. Having 50 megapixels feels a bit like future proofing.

With regards to file sizes, my everyday average shots are converted to lossy DNG, and most files are at 20 megabytes. Only the best or most unique pictures are kept as cr2 files.

Lightroom runs slower with 5Ds files, than smaller files, but I think the performance improved significantly with a recent Lightroom CC update.

I'm really happy for my 5Ds and it's large files.

Upvote 0
Feb 8, 2013
Larsskv said:
...Having 50 megapixels feels a bit like future proofing.

Some day 8K monitors and televisions will be a regular thing, that's 32MP total but you need at least 40MP in a 3:2 aspect ratio to fill the 7,680 (minimum) pixel width.
Something like wedding photos, I might actually specify getting at 40MP, with 50MP you just have a tiny bit of cropping room for 8K display.

High end photographs will be one of the first types of content to really demonstrate how good those future displays can be, and as someone who specifically gets excited about that sort of idea I do want as many pixels as possible for "some" applications. Oppositely, 12MP is still an order of magnitude more than I need for anything posted on the Internet.
At least 50 years from now someone might be able to look at a high resolution picture and say "that looks like it was taken yesterday" (as long as the industry doesn't transition entirely to video bites).

I really really wish Canon would make a 50MP APS-C body. It would be the Ultimate Macro Machine, take great BIF shots, and have reasonably futureproof portrait and landscape capabilities (and not cost over $4,000CAD like the 5Ds).

Upvote 0
Having owned and used the 5DS R for over 10 months now, I can tell you that the 50+ MPs are glorious! I also think the negatives have been overstated. I will agree that this is not the ideal low light camera or a big step forward in video recording. Beyond that, the picture quality on a large monitor can be amazing.

I'm a serious amateur that started out with a first gen Rebel in early 2005. I went though upgrades to 20D, 40D, 7D, and 5D MKIII, leading up to the 5DSR. I was always looking for razor sharpness, but never really came close until the 5D MKIII. The 5DS R takes things a big step further.

I only shoot raw now, mostly landscape stuff. (The picture quality jump processing raw over in camera JPEGs is huge!) Noise is not an issue even in shadows with the noise reduction in Adobe Camera Raw and Photoshop itself. I use low NR settings and that is plenty, even when boosting the shadows. My previous monitor was a 30 inch Dell U3011 at 2560 x 1600. I just upgraded to the new 43 inch Philips BDM4350 4K 10 bit. Using this monitor a lot of pictures look pretty much like you're staring out the window. At $800 it was a steal. It measures about 20 inches by 36 inches, so it's like looking at everything poster size.

Someone mentioned using a 13 inch iPad. Really? I don't see the point. If you really want to see the quality of your pictures get one of the 40 inch or larger 4K monitors out there. I'm going to say you don't know what you're missing with 50 MP until you do.

My last point would be that the continued claims that you cannot hand hold the 5DS R and get sharp pictures is false. Is it more demanding than a 5D MKIII? Maybe in low light, but I've gotten plenty of razor sharp pictures hand held. I can't wait to see how much Canon improves the 16-35L 2.8 and the 24-105L 4. While the resolution makes lesser lenses better it will also reveal lens weaknesses clearly.

Upvote 0
I read articles like this that say you have to have special technique or the motion blur becomes more apparent.
That it is a niche body best used on a tripod.

Over a year of using it and I am still waiting on these things to manifest itself in my work.
Maybe it is my superior technique and steady hands. NAH, my technique is good but my youthful days of a steady hand have passed. Yet I continue to take pics with far more detail than with other bodies.

I will buy in to the negatives of huge files, storage space, slow transfer speeds and ISO limitations.

Upvote 0
Jun 12, 2015
Chris_BC said:
Someone mentioned using a 13 inch iPad. Really? I don't see the point. If you really want to see the quality of your pictures get one of the 40 inch or larger 4K monitors out there. I'm going to say you don't know what you're missing with 50 MP until you do.

I tried having my 27 iMac on my lap, but didn't really care for it. ;)

Seriously though, having 50 megapixels is very nice on the iPad Pro.

Upvote 0
Buying the 5DsR was the best thing i ever done.
I did have my thought about why i would need the 50mp and i could only justify it with "Well, i have a lot of primes and i quess its good when cropping".
Now, i would never go back, only up.
The large file-size could be bad if you dont have a external NAS to save all the RAW-files on. But that is the only downside i can think of. The latest update in Lightroom and photoshop speeded up the applications so i cant say the raw-files are slow to process due to there size.

About the "cant get sharp images-talk"; sure, there is a point in what they are saying. i usually aim for ´focal length * 2´ to get sharp images (when not having a tripod or image stabilization).
If i did go slower and did get unsharp images, the images is only unsharp at 100%. Scaled down to the size of a mk3 or 6d they are just as sharp.

I understand why many don't want or need this camera, but for me its awesome. Try it out, you might like it.. The images are fantastic. The built in USB3, intervalometer, antiflicker and some other stuff are also a joy :)

So.. there goes my first post after following this website as a guest for a long time..

Take care friends!

Upvote 0

TheJock

Oct 10, 2013
Dubai
Well Dustin's signing off comments really hit the nail on the head for me!!!
Even though that landscape view cropped image of the barn in comparison to the actual portrait full size image really is a massive WOW, the ultimate answer I took away was “do you want to spend more time in post” and for me the answer is no!
I barley have the time to use the Elements 12 programme I own as it is, so I’m not looking forward to buying LR and I’m certainly not looking forward to spending days in from of a computer post processing my images, but of course, I’m not a pro and I don’t make money from photography, so these factors are the ones that separate people’s opinions. I would love to be able to crop my Bird photos down from 50.6mp to obtain a close crop sharp image, but I just don’t have the time, so my 5DIII and 70D will be more than sufficient for the foreseeable for me! No 5DSr for me then :'(

Upvote 0
One of my friends who is very good at airshows recently got the SR. He is very happy with the new Canon. Happier than he originally thought he would be. A little bigger buffer would help him out.

The higher resolution and the slower frame rate, from his 1D, makes him work harder but the results have been most impressive. It seems the SR, like the other high resolution cameras on the market can be unforgiving of technique, but if one puts in the effort to learn the system, the results are amazing.

Upvote 0
Thank you Dustin for the thoughtful and well written review.

Oddly enough I just sold my 6D after owning the 5DsR since release. This is a reflection of what other photography gear I own, rather than a negative assessment of the 6D.

I have personally found that the 6D produced images that are a bit too soft, and I find the white balance a touch too warm. The 5DsR produces crisper, cleaner, and more contrasty images—as long as you are shooting in near ideal light. It's a studio camera after all...the "s" in 5Ds stands for studio! That is how I use mine, although as long as you don't push the ISO, it can be used out in the field too.

The reason I sold my 6D was that the latest Fuji X-Pro2, and even more so the X-T2, is starting to be able to replace it as a field camera (dual card slots, faster frame rates, increasingly better able to shoot action and in lowish light). The Fuji X-Pro2 has a white balance similar to the 5DsR. I could imagine that if you were used to the 6D that you might think these newer models from Canon and Fuji have a cooler white balance, but I suspect that these newer models have more accurate white balance compared to the 6D, which is a touch too warm. I notice this with skin tone, where both Canon and Fuji together arguably represent the industry standards when it comes to getting good skin tone, with their newer models being even better than the older ones.

The next issue is that of the advantage of high resolution sensors. It is not limited to just oversized printing at all. I tend to agree with Tony Northrup:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yyOmgArU0MA&feature=youtu.be

The last issue is that of the oft mentioned issue of diffraction. I wonder if you have access to the mathematical calculations that determine the relationship between visible diffraction and sensor resolution. I have never seen this, and suspect that nobody can produce it simply because much of this is based on an urban myth:

https://jonrista.com/2013/03/24/the-diffraction-myth/

http://community.the-digital-picture.com/showthread.php?t=809

Diffraction in physics is caused by light passing through a slit or hole. This comes from Canon:

Light comes from the left, passes through the slit (indicated by the blue line), causing light to be diffracted (on the right).

The amount of diffraction cannot be altered by changing the size of the pixels on the sensor side. The width of the slit the light passes through is the only parameter which can influence the degree of diffraction. Reducing the pixel size on the sensor therefore cannot alter the amount of diffraction that occurs. For a slit of a given size, irrespective of the sensor resolution, the amount of diffraction as it passes through the slit is always the same. Higher resolutions/smaller pixel size may make the diffraction more visible, but it cannot alter the amount of light diffraction. So the idea that higher sensor resolution makes diffraction set in at ever wider apertures makes little sense.

Thus the idea that a future 120MP Canon full frame sensor on the FE mount might cause diffraction to become a limiting factor hardly makes good optical sense. That is why I think we need to see the actual mathematical demonstration that underpins these claims about the relationship between visible diffraction (sufficient to cause IQ degradation) and pixel size. Until I actually see this, I am going to call the commonly repeated stuff about diffraction limiting the usefulness of high resolution sensors an urban myth until proven otherwise. I would be happy to be proven wrong.

Upvote 0

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
Sator
I was going to mention the point about diffraction. Put simply, the size of the ring of blurring caused by diffraction (the size of the Airy disk, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Airy_disk) is absolutely identical for the 5Ds, 5DIII, 6D etc for when the same lens is attached at the same f-number. Diffraction is never any worse on a 5Ds than on a FF with less pixels but the 5Ds starts to lose the advantage of having more pixels as the f-number increases.

Upvote 0

ExodistPhotography

Photographer, Artist & Youtuber
Feb 20, 2016
Phillippines
www.youtube.com
I have the use for 50MP. Heck I have the use for 100MP med format. But the problem with 5DS series and 50MP is that very few full frame lenses can resolve that much detail. So at about 36MP most FF lenses just do not hold up and you basically get diminishing returns on clarity & sharpness. So between 36 and 50MP you maybe get 2 more MP of sharpness. So you really do not get a sharper image, you just get a larger file. However if sigma was to make a 50-100mm Art for the full frame that would resolve at least 40MP of the 50.. Then heck yea that would be awesome.. Before Canon turns out any more 50MP cameras, they need to pick up the pace and focus on higher resolution FF lenses..

Upvote 0

ExodistPhotography

Photographer, Artist & Youtuber
Feb 20, 2016
Phillippines
www.youtube.com
AlanF said:
Sator
I was going to mention the point about diffraction. Put simply, the size of the ring of blurring caused by diffraction (the size of the Airy disk, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Airy_disk) is absolutely identical for the 5Ds, 5DIII, 6D etc for when the same lens is attached at the same f-number. Diffraction is never any worse on a 5Ds than on a FF with less pixels but the 5Ds starts to lose the advantage of having more pixels as the f-number increases.

Its all about the pixel pitch.. :)

Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011
ExodistPhotography said:
AlanF said:
Sator

Its all about the pixel pitch.. :)

No, it is only about the aperture size and reproduction ratio.

Upvote 0