Review: The Canon EOS M5 Sensor Gets the DXOMark Treatment, Scores a 77.

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
HTML:
DXOMark has completed their review of the 24mp sensor inside the Canon EOS M5. The new EOS M camera came out 5 points ahead of the EOS M3 with a score of 77. This unsurprisingly puts it on par with the image quality of the EOS 80D.</p>
<p><strong>From DXOMark:</strong></p>
<blockquote><p>On paper, the M5 looks like a mini-EOS 80D; however, that’s not quite the case. The built-in electronic viewfinder, the additional controls, and 7 fps burst with continuous AF (9 fps with AF locked) are all welcome additions. Taken together with the 24.2-MP Dual Pixel AF CMOS sensor and Digital IS, it all signals Canon’s intention to compete more seriously with rivals in the mirrorless segment. With hindsight, it seems like the Dual Pixel AF CMOS was designed with mirrorless in mind. Image quality is similar to that of the sensor found on the EOS 80D. <a href="https://www.dxomark.com/Reviews/Canon-EOS-M5-sensor-review-Made-for-mirrorless">Read the full review</a></p></blockquote>
<p>Most reviewers continue to agree that the EOS M5 is Canon’s best mirrorless offering yet.</p>
<span id="pty_trigger"></span>

Oct 29, 2012
The IQ of the M5 is very, very good. It is better for what I shoot (landscapes) than any aps-c camera I have used, but I have never used an 80D. I have used almost every other Canon asp-s offering.

The dual pixel AF when set up on a tripod and using live view rocks, even at night. It is better than the live view focusing on the 5D3.

At higher ISO's (>800 or so) the usual asp-c/FF differences become apparent. No surprise there.

The shadow noise at base ISO even when taking long star exposures is very low.

AF speed and frame rate is actually pretty good for (my basic) bird photography.

The ergonomics and handling is the best of any MILC I've used. Minimal menu scrolling and subsequent four letter words. I have an M3; I like the built in EVF a lot better. Less to worry about losing or somehow breaking off.

For me, the main reason to not use a FF dslr is size. Which means any MILC I use will likely be aps-c. Which means some compromises. But with the M5, there are not too many.

I still use my 5D4/D3 for any dedicated landscape photo shoots, but putting the M5 and the 11-22 in the bag for any more challenging scrambles to better viewpoints is a great option.

Anyway, for anybody on the fence, if you are coming from Canon FF, you will really like the M5. It will augment, but not replace your FF quite yet.

Upvote 0

Hflm

Gear: 5div, A7riii, A9 ...
Jan 10, 2017
jolyonralph said:
Well, let's not congratulate ourselves just yet, the Sony NEX-7 from 2011 has a higher sensor rating (81)
Currently it should be known that overall sensor scores aren't that useful at all (arbitrary weighting etc.). If you look at the measurement profiles of the Nex7 you see that there is quite some difference in S/N ratio and DR compared to the A6500/A6300. The Canon is better unless at base iso DR. Don't forget, too, that the crop factor of Canon is 1.6 not 1.5, favoring slightly the Sony sensor. In the future Canon should try to use BSI tech, however.

Upvote 0
privatebydesign said:
jolyonralph said:
Well, let's not congratulate ourselves just yet, the Sony NEX-7 from 2011 has a higher sensor rating (81)

If you take the average 5-10 point BBS handicap DXO apply to all Canon cameras it actually looks pretty good.

And here we go again.

Let's put up our foil hats and chant: "THEY'RE OUT TO GET US! THEY'RE OUT TO GET US!"

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
heretikeen said:
privatebydesign said:
jolyonralph said:

If you take the average 5-10 point BBS handicap DXO apply to all Canon cameras it actually looks pretty good.

And here we go again.

Let's put up our foil hats and chant: "THEY'RE OUT TO GET US! THEY'RE OUT TO GET US!"

In that case, perhaps you would be so good as to explicitly state the formula and weightings that DxO uses to determine their overall score. While you're at it, please also explain why the majority determinant of their scores consider only performance at base ISO.

Upvote 0

ahsanford

Particular Member
Aug 16, 2012
neuroanatomist said:
In that case, perhaps you would be so good as to explicitly state the formula and weightings that DxO uses to determine their overall score. While you're at it, please also explain why the majority determinant of their scores consider only performance at base ISO.

You have a greater likelihood of Trump releasing his tax returns than DXO releasing the specifics of their methods. I'd love to see either the *very* complicated polynomial that governs the overall lens score calculation... or the revision history of said equation that shows that resolution was deprioritized on/around the release of the 5DS R. ;D

- A

Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011
heretikeen said:
privatebydesign said:
jolyonralph said:

And here we go again.

Or, I can use my eyes, something relatively important in photography, and tell there is something amiss.

Upvote 0
Hflm said:
jolyonralph said:
Currently it should be known that overall sensor scores aren't that useful at all (arbitrary weighting etc.). If you look at the measurement profiles of the Nex7 you see that there is quite some difference in S/N ratio and DR compared to the A6500/A6300. The Canon is better unless at base iso DR. Don't forget, too, that the crop factor of Canon is 1.6 not 1.5, favoring slightly the Sony sensor. In the future Canon should try to use BSI tech, however.
Hflm said:
jolyonralph said:
very good point, if canons crop factor was 1.5 the sensor would be on the same level or higher then the sony sensors

Upvote 0
ahsanford said:
neuroanatomist said:

You have a greater likelihood of Trump releasing his tax returns than DXO releasing the specifics of their methods. I'd love to see either the *very* complicated polynomial that governs the overall lens score calculation... or the revision history of said equation that shows that resolution was deprioritized on/around the release of the 5DS R. ;D

- A

+1

We could exhaust an entire thread of jokes about "things that will happen before DXO releases their algorithm" ;)

At this point I don't know why it even makes headlines at CR. As far as I'm concerned, none of their data is to be trusted unless an algorithm or repeatable experiment is shown. It's akin to trying to wade through and find the truths of a habitual liar :p

Upvote 0
Love my M5, and the focus is notably accurate and consistent. However, it is not fast, relative to my DSLRs. In low light, it is downright balky.

I find that high ISO shots aren't noticeably better than my 7D2, but I haven't pixel peeped to distinguish that scientifically.

As always, ignore DXO's general scores, but you might use the component scores to compare one Canon sensor versus another.

Upvote 0
Aug 28, 2012
Love my M5, and the focus is notably accurate and consistent. However, it is not fast, relative to my DSLRs. In low light, it is downright balky.

I find that high ISO shots aren't noticeably better than my 7D2, but I haven't pixel peeped to distinguish that scientifically.

As always, ignore DXO's general scores, but you might use the component scores to compare one Canon sensor versus another.
Given its other benefits, if the M5's high iso delivery is at least as good as the 7D2, I'd be happy with it as a second body and travel/street camera.

Upvote 0