RF 100mm Macro L - Anyone's shipped yet?

canonmike

EOS R6
CR Pro
Jan 5, 2013
Just an FYI update on pre-orders for the new RF 100 macro lens. Was supposed to start shipping y'day, July 8 and Canon's on line store showed small inventory on hand for sale, sold out within a few hours, I might add. I placed my pre-order on Jun 1, the first day you could do so with July 8 shown as anticipated ship date. Well, July 8 has come and gone with no B&H shipment notification, so again, we are looking at delays on getting our gear orders. Point is, a little patience is in order as you cannot rely on anticipated shipping dates in the marketplace, just yet.......I do find it a little undermining that the Canon store can sell a newly released lens when they haven't yet supplied their merchants with adequate inventory to cover pre-orders.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

unfocused

Photos/Photo Book Reviews: www.thecuriouseye.com
Jul 20, 2010
Springfield, IL
www.thecuriouseye.com
...I do find it a little undermining that the Canon store can sell a newly released lens when they haven't yet supplied their merchants with adequate inventory to cover pre-orders.

This has got to be really annoying to their best customers, like B&H and Adorama. Canon even stated in their last financial report that they were maximizing their profits by channeling more inventory to their own online stores. (Which means they get more $ per sale, since they don't have to share the profit with the retailer) If I were a retailer, I'd be raising hell with my sales rep, as you know the retailers represent a massively larger revenue stream for Canon than their own little online store.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

canonmike

EOS R6
CR Pro
Jan 5, 2013
This has got to be really annoying to their best customers, like B&H and Adorama. Canon even stated in their last financial report that they were maximizing their profits by channeling more inventory to their own online stores. (Which means they get more $ per sale, since they don't have to share the profit with the retailer) If I were a retailer, I'd be raising hell with my sales rep, as you know the retailers represent a massively larger revenue stream for Canon than their own little online store.
I couldn't have said it better, unfocused. This ongoing policy has to be a real thorn in their loyal merchants' sides, as they bite their tongues, unable to procure Canon product(s) now showing for sale in Canon's own on line store. Not a problem, so much, with refurbs and seasoned inventory but a bit of an insult IMO to see newly released merchandise being sold there.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

SteveC

R5
CR Pro
Sep 3, 2019
And OBTW you don't help the rep for your region by ordering online, either. Of course many people have no choice in the matter.

Upvote 0

FrenchFry

Wildlife enthusiast!
Jun 14, 2020
Although I do have the option of buying from a local B&M store, I would have to order and then wait even longer.
Which would you choose : - pay sales tax that can be avoided (but still paid to stay legal) by ordering from B&H using their PayBoo card.
Or slower delivery plus sales tax.
Why would ordering from a brick and mortar store take longer than ordering from B&H?
I don't think that has been the case for most of the people who have gotten their lenses so far.

I ordered from a store and received my lens today.

Upvote 0

ColorBlindBat

CR Pro
Aug 30, 2018
Why would ordering from a brick and mortar store take longer than ordering from B&H?
I don't think that has been the case for most of the people who have gotten their lenses so far.

I ordered from a store and received my lens today.
The only local B&M near me is Best Buy. Per CPW, Best Buy will have the RF 100L beginning around July 20th (I'm in the San Diego area) and those will go to their early preorders.

I ordered from B&H way back on April 14th. I would assume if I cancelled my order with B&H and then ordered from Best Buy, my delivery date would be way out there.

In addition, buying through B&H using their PayBoo card saves me the sales tax as B&H discounts the order by the tax amount and then pays it themselves. In my case, that is a savings of ~$128.

Upvote 0

FrenchFry

Wildlife enthusiast!
Jun 14, 2020
The only local B&M near me is Best Buy. Per CPW, Best Buy will have the RF 100L beginning around July 20th (I'm in the San Diego area) and those will go to their early preorders.

I ordered from B&H way back on April 14th. I would assume if I cancelled my order with B&H and then ordered from Best Buy, my delivery date would be way out there.

In addition, buying through B&H using their PayBoo card saves me the sales tax as B&H discounts the order by the tax amount and then pays it themselves. In my case, that is a savings of ~$128.
I don't doubt the advantages of having B&H pay the sales tax, as long as you are not in a hurry to receive the item you have ordered from them.
I was simply pointing out that pre-ordering from a store can result in receiving the lens just as quickly as pre-orders placed at online retailers. That is provided that you get your order in early.
Comparing delivery dates of an order placed on April 14th with an order placed three months later would not be very fair. Nonetheless, given the extremely large volume of orders placed at B&H, it may still be possible to find the lens elsewhere faster. This would not resolve the sales tax concerns.

Upvote 0

ColorBlindBat

CR Pro
Aug 30, 2018
I don't doubt the advantages of having B&H pay the sales tax, as long as you are not in a hurry to receive the item you have ordered from them.
I was simply pointing out that pre-ordering from a store can result in receiving the lens just as quickly as pre-orders placed at online retailers. That is provided that you get your order in early.
Comparing delivery dates of an order placed on April 14th with an order placed three months later would not be very fair. Nonetheless, given the extremely large volume of orders placed at B&H, it may still be possible to find the lens elsewhere faster. This would not resolve the sales tax concerns.
I fully agree with your post. And as I'm a cheapskate, I'll wait for B&H.

Upvote 0