rf 15-35MM F2.8L issue? NEED ADVICE!

StevenA

CR Pro
Jul 8, 2020
So I was out last night making some IBIS stills tests and had on my RF 15-35mm lens. One of the photos I took shows some weird issues I'd like some opinions on:

This is a crop of the image, original was 15mm so this isn't edge of frame stuff. The focal point is somewhere above the right car, on the text in the window - looks fine. But then scan to the left and look at the writing in the window over there. Blurry - why? It's on the same plane as the writing I focused on. Same question on the 'for lease' sign.

0R9A0205small1.jpg

But also - a dead giveaway, look at the rear wheel on the car in the middle of the frame - looks round. Then look at the front wheel on the car immediately behind it. Oval:

0R9A0205small.jpg
full size for reference:

0R9A0205fullsmall.jpg

I know lenses this wide have some issues as you go out from the middle, but these seem excessive? Thoughts?

Attachments

• 0R9A0205small.jpg
    0R9A0205small.jpg
    584.5 KB · Views: 249
Last edited:
Aug 27, 2019
So I was out last night making some IBIS stills tests and had on my RF 15-35mm lens. One of the photos I took shows some weird issues I'd like some opinions on:

View attachment 191928

This is a crop of the image, original was 15mm so this isn't edge of frame stuff. The focal point is somewhere above the middle car, on the text in the window - looks fine. But then scan to the left and look at the writing in the window over there. Blurry - why? It's on the same plane as the writing I focused on. Hard to see in such a small image I know, but also - a dead giveaway, look at the rear wheel on the car in the middle of the frame - looks round. Then look at the front wheel on the car immediately behind it. Oval.

I know lenses this wide have some issues as you go out from the middle, but these seem excessive? Thoughts?
F2.8?

Are you using any of the in camera lens correction?

Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011
Two different things.

The writing not being sharp could be a decentered lens element but I doubt it actually is. If you look at the building you are not parallel to it so the windows are not on a flat field parallel to you.

The oval wheel is the result of rectilinear projection distortion and is not a lens defect.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
Aug 27, 2019
I think I had a similar result in a couple of my earlier shots with 15-35 @15mm F2.8 handheld with slower shutter speeds. Sadly I deleted them as they were not usable. I never ran into any issue with the 15-35 on the R so I am inclined to think it is related to IBIS.

@StevenA this is pure speculation on my part but I think we might be seeing the "jello" effect reported in some videos with the 15-35. I am hoping Canon will be able to tune the IBIS for use with the wider angle lenses.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

usern4cr

R5
CR Pro
Sep 2, 2018
Kentucky, USA

This is a crop of the image, original was 15mm so this isn't edge of frame stuff. The focal point is somewhere above the right car, on the text in the window - looks fine. But then scan to the left and look at the writing in the window over there. Blurry - why? It's on the same plane as the writing I focused on. Same question on the 'for lease' sign.

View attachment 191936

But also - a dead giveaway, look at the rear wheel on the car in the middle of the frame - looks round. Then look at the front wheel on the car immediately behind it. Oval:

View attachment 191937
full size for reference:

View attachment 191935

My answer (aka: "best guess") is that you are *not* on the same image plane regarding the different areas of text you mention - you just "assume" you are.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
I think I had a similar result in a couple of my earlier shots with 15-35 @15mm F2.8 handheld with slower shutter speeds. Sadly I deleted them as they were not usable. I never ran into any issue with the 15-35 on the R so I am inclined to think it is related to IBIS.

@StevenA this is pure speculation on my part but I think we might be seeing the "jello" effect reported in some videos with the 15-35. I am hoping Canon will be able to tune the IBIS for use with the wider angle lenses.
Didn't Canon release a firmware update for the RF 15-35, that addresses the 'wobble' / 'jello' ? Do you have the latest firmware on your lens?

Upvote 0
Aug 27, 2019
Didn't Canon release a firmware update for the RF 15-35, that addresses the 'wobble' / 'jello' ? Do you have the latest firmware on your lens?
Yeah, updated all my RF glass a few days before my R5 showed up. I think the edges @15mm can still be a little lose for longer handheld shots. Once I push to 16mm it is pretty much gone.

IBIS plus super wide seems to be a bit of an issue with all sensor stabilization systems.

Would love to see the results of the 8-15 or the 11-24

Upvote 0

StevenA

CR Pro
Jul 8, 2020

At the time of the photo no, I had not updated to the latest firmware. Stumbled across it yesterday and did the update, but I haven't had a chance to retest and see if it had any effect.

Upvote 0