RF mount video products in the works, could see an RF Cinema EOS camera

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
The last month or so has seen a steady stream to our inbox of EOS R and RF mount information. Some will obviously be wishlists, but some of the information will be accurate.
We’ve been told on multiple occasions that an RF mount video product of some kind is in development. While only one of the comments mentioned a Cinema EOS camera, a couple of others said it would likely be outside of the Cinema EOS in its first iteration.
Most of the people we have talked to seem to agree that we won’t see such a camera until 2020 at the earliest, and not to expect this kind of hardware announcement for NAB in April of 2019. The RF mount needs more native lenses before an RF mount video product makes sense.
That said, I do wonder how many video shooters would appreciate an RF mount video product just to use the RF to EF filter adapters.

Continue reading...

Aug 26, 2015
If the make a 'proper' Cinema camera, they might even put in an internal ND filter as well, which would make it usable with RF (or any other adapted) glass as well, putting a bit more pressure on the Sony FS series. It is still far away anyway.
The first model should be more like an XC series body design with the 'standard' 8.8MP s35mm sensor with the RF-mount to accept the adapter, slotted well below the C200.
Either way, they have a ton of options, so many rumour possibilities.

Upvote 0
hehehe, so much for all those "EF mount will stay, not least because Canon cine products use it" ... :ROFLMAO:

Read my lips: EF is on life-support, but clinically dead. :p
And my lips say not dead yet! Canon need a critical mass of RF users before life support is switched off, personally don't think EF will die for 10 years or more

Upvote 0
Jul 31, 2018
And my lips say not dead yet! Canon need a critical mass of RF users before life support is switched off, personally don't think EF will die for 10 years or more

depends how you define it.
1. launch of last new EF lens ... 1-2 years max. or already happened :)
2. end of production for EF lenses ... 5+ years
3. last factory-new EF lens sold ... hard to predict
4. end of service/no more spare parts for last EF lens model ... 10+ years out
5. last image captured with an EF lens ... hard to predict
6. last EF lens ceases to exist ... could be several 1000 years from now ... although these days EF lenses are unlikely to be buried air-sealed in a pyramid as funerary object alongside their pharaoh owner. :D

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
2. end of production for EF lenses ... 5+ years
3. last factory-new EF lens sold ... hard to predict
4. end of service/no more spare parts for last EF lens model ... 10+ years out
6. last EF lens ceases to exist ... could be several 1000 years from now ... although these days EF lenses are unlikely to be buried air-sealed in a pyramid as funerary object alongside their pharaoh owner. :D

By itself, your predictions look compelling,...

however, if you look at Canon's current line up of systems (lenses and bodies) your prediction has a lot of gaps! How are they going to fill all the segments that they are now occupying? Are they surely going to release APS-C R bodies? If so when? Or perhaps they are going to fill out the M line of lenses? Or perhaps you have some other combination of systems that you see Canon going for? I am sure Canon doesn't base their strategy just on lenses.

Upvote 0
Jul 31, 2018
By itself, your predictions look compelling,...
however, if you look at Canon's current line up of systems (lenses and bodies) your prediction has a lot of gaps! How are they going to fill all the segments that they are now occupying? Are they surely going to release APS-C R bodies? If so when? Or perhaps they are going to fill out the M line of lenses? Or perhaps you have some other combination of systems that you see Canon going for? I am sure Canon doesn't base their strategy just on lenses.

I expect Canon to simply repeat what they did with DSLRs. Two product lines, one FF, one APS-C.
* FF = EOS R: FF [not APS-C], high IQ, larger, more expensive, full lens assortment [like EF]
* APS-C = EOS M: compact, decent IQ, affordable price, limited lens lineup only [similar to EF-S]

Upvote 0
I expect Canon to simply repeat what they did with DSLRs. Two product lines, one FF, one APS-C.
* FF = EOS R: FF [not APS-C], high IQ, larger, more expensive, full lens assortment [like EF]
* APS-C = EOS M: compact, decent IQ, affordable price, limited lens lineup only [similar to EF-S]

And they are going to replace 9 cameras with 3?

Upvote 0
I am becoming doubtful that Canon can catch up with Sony in the video department. The RF is probably an awesome stills camera, but as a dual purpose with video, compromised, and as a video camera, meh. The C series video cameras are good, but Sony's are generally better and there's nothing to go up against the FS5 or the A7III, and both the FS5 and A7s will see another upgrade before Canon's first version of an RF video camera hits the shelves.
Sony will not sit are their hands for the next two years

Upvote 0

MartinF.

EOS 6D, 5D mkIV and some good EF lenses. DPP4 user
Feb 2, 2016
Denmark
2. end of production for EF lenses ... 5+ years ............................... :D

I also think it will be at least 5 years out before there will be no new EF lenses. I know that the FD to EF mount switch in 1987 is not comparable, because the FD mount died almost instantly, but in the first 5 years Canon released 8,8 NEW EF lenses PER year, hereof 12 (twelve) in the first year 1987! (source EFlens.com)
But still there is a long way to have the current setup, and Canon does not need the same speed thanks to the EF-RF adaptor.

My quess is that Canon will probably make at least a 1D mkIII and 5D mkV (and maybe - but I doubt a 6D mkIII) - but that could also be the end of new EF mount cameras, and by that also the end of new EF mount lenses - but still - we are 5-10 years out, and support of existing cameras and lenses is further 5-10 years out before end.

Upvote 0
I use mirrorless Sony alongside my 5d4 and from some of the comments I think either the people have never used mirrorless in a demanding shooting environment, or they have a lot of camera company stock :) DPreview talking about the Canon going down to 2 FPS, and seeing myself the Nikon EVF image jumping when panning the camera, (with the IBIS is running) when I checked it out in the store won't get a whole lot of people who aren't satified with their phone pics to buy one I think.

Upvote 0

Talys

Canon R5
CR Pro
Feb 16, 2017
Vancouver, BC

That's a pretty safe bet, since there was just someone posting the other day who thought Canon's strategy for success was to service/promote FD lenses, or some such.

But anyways, EF isn't going anywhere, because Canon sells too many APSC DSLRs. EOS M and EOS R (and certainly not Nikon Z, lol) don't come remotely close to the real digital ILC cash cows - T6 and D3400

Upvote 0
Jul 31, 2018
But anyways, EF isn't going anywhere, because Canon sells too many APSC DSLRs. EOS M and EOS R (and certainly not Nikon Z, lol) don't come remotely close to the real digital ILC cash cows - T6 and D3400

lol. Right now Canon probably is selling more M50s than all doomed mirrorslapping Rebels + 80Ds + 7D IIs + all Nikon crop slappers combined. :)

Upvote 0

robotfist

Cinematographer/Photographer - Canon C300 III
Oct 23, 2017
Los Angeles
I am ready to move past EF. Bring on the Cinema RF. The C300 MK II is getting long in the tooth. Canon desperately needs a new cinema camera with a middle ground codec that can compete with Panasonic and Sony. I love my C200 but shooting Raw all the time is expensive and time consuming. Make the C300 MK III an RF camera that can use the EF lenses with the adapter. I'd bite.

Upvote 0