RF Teleconverters

Bdbtoys

R5
CR Pro
Jul 16, 2020
So last week I had the opportunity to see the Blue Angels practice... think of it as a small air show. It's 6 jets that typically run in a group of 6, 4+2, 4+1+1 (mostly 4+2 so you are mostly keeping an eye on 2 groups). I was positioned away from the air strip (other side of the sound) to see the majority of the action.

Knowing that most of the maneuvers I wanted to catch was going to happen far away I opted for the RF 100-500 + 2x TC to focus on that action. I also knew they did a few flyby's semi close to us, so I was willing to sacrifice those shots potentially. This put me at a 600-1000mm range during the course of shooting. I was typically able to keep them in frame, except when the 4 in formation got really close (400-500 would have probably been best for framing of those as 600 was just a bit tight). However, it is a shame that for those few moments, not being able to drop just a little lower than 300 (native) on the lens is not possible due to the hard stop.

Done again, I would have pulled the 2x and mounted the 1.4x (or went w/o) about 3/4 of the way thru... however it's easy to say that now knowing how long it lasted.

Note: This was a bit of a first for me, as I never really had this long of a zoom (or tele's for that matter) so I'm still learning... but was fairly pleased with the results.

Point I'm trying to get at is it would be have been nice to use the full range of the lens with the TC. And for that matter to be able to use the TC's on other lenses (besides the DO's which I'm not getting since the 100-500 kind of fills that need).

Unfortunately, if I'm not mistaken, the EF TC's only went thru a few variations w/ approximately a decade in between. I really hope that we will see RF TC's that doesn't limit travel (or can be used on other lenses... such as the 70-200)... or even the 1x/1.5x/2x patent mentioned below.

So any guesses on when we might see a more universal TC?

Del Paso

M3 Singlestroke
CR Pro
Aug 9, 2018
Trouble is that, designing a lens or a TC, you must select "acceptable" compromises about cost, universality, optical quality.
Canon seems to have- fortunately - favored optical over universal usage.
The price you pay for is restricted usage on a few lenses, regrettably...
I doubt, having used other high quality TCs extending into the lenses, Leica's 1,4 Apo extender for instance, that we'll ever see a "universal" Canon TC, quality would be sub-par.

Upvote 0